Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a couple of new 2014 Brilliant Black R/T's with the options I want that are within 110 miles of me in South FL. Any tips on how to negotiate with these dealers via email/phone? A couple have replied with "canned" responses. Seems they want you in the dealership to do any negotiating.
Are there any other sites other than Edmunds that I can use to find true market value or to give me a starting place to negotiate a price from? One R/T in particular has an MSRP of $41,385 and Dodge currently has a $1000 rebate.
Also, I plan on trading a "good" condition 2005 White Durango SLT with only 57,000 on it. Is KBB still a good place to check trade-in values?

Thanks

·
Registered
849 Posts
Found a couple of new 2014 Brilliant Black R/T's with the options I want that are within 110 miles of me in South FL. Any tips on how to negotiate with these dealers via email/phone? A couple have replied with "canned" responses. Seems they want you in the dealership to do any negotiating.
Are there any other sites other than Edmunds that I can use to find true market value or to give me a starting place to negotiate a price from? One R/T in particular has an MSRP of $41,385 and Dodge currently has a $1000 rebate.
Also, I plan on trading a "good" condition 2005 White Durango SLT with only 57,000 on it. Is KBB still a good place to check trade-in values?

Thanks
In terms of negotiating via phone, internet - dealers will always apply low energy unless the customer is in front of them. They will talk and quote but when it comes to grinding you will need to be there. Even though the 2014 is brand new there are incentives and the dealers I worked with prior to ordering mine were dealing on 2014's.
Value on your car - KBB is good but if you have a CarMax close by go there for a purchase quote. Good gauge before you trade.

- Danny

·
Registered
133 Posts
Go to the dealer in person at the end off the moth. You will get the best deal, they need to make the numbers.

·
Registered
751 Posts
This was what I did: I went to the Dodge.com website and sent inquiries to about 20 different dealers. Quite a few called me back, gave me numbers. A few told me to come in and my response was, "I'm not going to you until I have an idea of what you want for the truck. I have other dealers that are willing to provide me a price over the phone, if you can't do that, I'll keep dealing with the others."
Some of them called me back with numbers the rest did not. But, it saved me hours of sitting in numerous dealers waiting for the "manager" to decide on a price.

I ran my trade in thru KBB to get an idea of what to expect from the dealer. But I will be attempting CarMax once my delivery date gets closer...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So there are 2 of you here on this thread that ended up ordering? What's that process like? My local dealer's internet salesperson made that suggestion to me today since he couldn't find an R/T that I wanted anywhere in south FL. He mentioned about putting down a $500 dollar refundable deposit and submitting a build order. Said I would get updates all along the process and it would take 8 to 12 weeks to be built. Did you guys work out a price first before ordering?

Thanks

·
Registered
469 Posts
I ordered my RT. No deposit or signatures needed, but we did order a car from them back in January. No price was agreed on--that will come when the Durango arrives. When you order, they'll give you a print up of all the options you choose along with the prices so you'll get the FWP and MSRP and can do your negotiation from there so keep that invoice. The key is to be patient. It's been 3 weeks since I've ordered and two weeks since the last status update (scheduled for production).

While the long wait is the downside, the upside is you know you're getting the vehicle exactly how you want it.

Reactions: CaptMoe

·
Registered
469 Posts
I ran my trade in thru KBB to get an idea of what to expect from the dealer. But I will be attempting CarMax once my delivery date gets closer...
Dealers usually use NADA guides when coming up with trade in values. And remember, dealerships want to make a profit so be prepared for the low-ball offers.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I ordered my RT. No deposit or signatures needed, but we did order a car from them back in January. No price was agreed on--that will come when the Durango arrives. When you order, they'll give you a print up of all the options you choose along with the prices so you'll get the FWP and MSRP and can do your negation from there so keep that invoice. The key is to be patient. It's been 3 weeks since I've ordered and two weeks since the last status update (scheduled for production).

While the long wait is the downside, the upside is you know you're getting the vehicle exactly how you want it.
Yep, just like she said.
If you've never ordered before it will take some getting used to.
I left a deposit with my dealer as well...

·
Registered
751 Posts
Dealers usually use NADA guides when coming up with trade in values. And remember, dealerships want to make a profit so be prepared for the low-ball offers.
One dealer was checking auction sites to gauge how much to offer me. What worked in my favor was that my '09 is fully loaded except for the Hemi. Apparently there aren't too many fully loaded '09s for sale...

·
Administrator
15,104 Posts
I did my research and purchased the Jeep from TWO dealers over the phone. They each had an "internet" department and it was easy.

When dealer 1 pulled the typical bullshit at the closing table, we walked out and went to dealer 2 and completed the deal. It was actually New Years Eve... 5:30PM!! Started the calls and negotiations on 12/29 and completed everything within 3 days. Drove away at 8PM in a brand new rig.

IndyDurango

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered my RT. No deposit or signatures needed, but we did order a car from them back in January. No price was agreed on--that will come when the Durango arrives. When you order, they'll give you a print up of all the options you choose along with the prices so you'll get the FWP and MSRP and can do your negotiation from there so keep that invoice. The key is to be patient. It's been 3 weeks since I've ordered and two weeks since the last status update (scheduled for production).

Found a black R/T 125 miles away with options I wanted, got in touch with their internet sales the other day to get some numbers and they said they would call back, they never did. In the meantime, I checked back with my local Dodge dealer and checked with them to see if they came up with anything on their search for me and they came up with nothing. I asked them to contact dealer where I found the one I wanted, they did, and the sales managers worked a tentative dealer trade. Last night, I get a call saying the Durango was no longer available. My local dealer, who I have done business with before calls me this morning and says, we apologize for getting your hopes up, we'll just order one for you with the options you want and sell it to you at $525 below invoice. OK by me. Put a $500 deposit down and hopefully sometime in February i'll take delivery.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Found a black R/T 125 miles away with options I wanted, got in touch with their internet sales the other day to get some numbers and they said they would call back, they never did. In the meantime, I checked back with my local Dodge dealer and checked with them to see if they came up with anything on their search for me and they came up with nothing. I asked them to contact dealer where I found the one I wanted, they did, and the sales managers worked a tentative dealer trade. Last night, I get a call saying the Durango was no longer available. My local dealer, who I have done business with before calls me this morning and says, we apologize for getting your hopes up, we'll just order one for you with the options you want and sell it to you at $525 below invoice. OK by me. Put a $500 deposit down and hopefully sometime in February i'll take delivery.
WIN!!! Congrats!

- Danny

1 - 12 of 12 Posts