Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
This new forum layout is atrocious. I can't tell what threads have been read or which ones have new posts.
I honestly didn't think there was anything wrong with the old style.
agree 100%. Can't even get it to work on my phone (Android).

·
Registered
955 Posts
This happens all the time in forums. They change the way it works, we all hate it and then just except the change. I don't like it either but I'm sure they would not switch back.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Often the "forum" has no choice, right? The BBS software gets updated, and the forums have to migrate....I think...

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
Those who were around back in the DOC days remember the switch over to the previous forum. It was not very welcomed and there were plenty of complaints then, too. I did not like it much personally. But over time we all got used to it and it became home again.

It is the membership that makes the forum. If you value the people and the content here, you'll adapt in time. I know site management probably debated how to change for a long time, and I do know they worked hard to minimize outage and data loss, so I commend them on that. As for the new format, let the seed grow and see what blooms.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
@ Dtan:
Do you recall what year that was? I am thinking I was here for it, and I don't recall it be as drastic as this. We humans are creatures of habit, and it does take a while to embrace a new thing sometimes. I preferred the warmer colors of the previous display, and not this BRIGHT white looking beast that kind of slaps you in the face.
First the Charger forum I follow went to this format, then we here at DDN did, and now the Hyundai forum I follow for when I need guidance for out '11 Santa Fe has done it.

Don

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
@ Dtan:
Do you recall what year that was? I am thinking I was here for it, and I don't recall it be as drastic as this. We humans are creatures of habit, and it does take a while to embrace a new thing sometimes. I preferred the warmer colors of the previous display, and not this BRIGHT white looking beast that kind of slaps you in the face.
First the Charger forum I follow went to this format, then we here at DDN did, and now the Hyundai forum I follow for when I need guidance for out '11 Santa Fe has done it.

Don
Not the exact year. Had to be at least 5 ago. You've been a member longer than me so you were definitely here. I liked the super simple old-school format of the DOC version, and was not happy when VerticalScope bought it and changed to the last format. I remember thinking it was clunky, hard to navigate, and I had a hard time finding my way around. Took me a while to adapt.

Funny thing is, I've already adapted to this format. The trend arrow and the edit pencil are pretty intuitive. I'm not going to come out and say "Yeah!!! New format RULES!!!" but it is not a steep learning curve at least. And the bugginess of the old firmware (frozen threads, odd home page display, etc) must have been a factor in VS's decision too.

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
I preferred the warmer colors of the previous display, and not this BRIGHT white looking beast that kind of slaps you in the face.
There is a dark mode too, basically inverts the palate. I agree though, warmer colors are more comfortable. Maybe in the future.

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
I had it set to go to new posts on the old forum too, but for some reason it stopped properly directing me there and never really got resolved (I didn't complain to the admins though so it isn't their fault it didn't get fixed). But yeah that's a good idea.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I don't like that it's hard to tell what threads have new posts and that there's no "go to most recent post" button. I realize there's a button at the top of the thread but now I have to make two selections rather than one (I know, first world problem).

Not a great update at all and in fact I'm kind of reluctant to come over and casually peruse...

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have this link bookmarked for reading new posts, which is how I used the site previously except when I was looking for something:

That would be ok if one could filter it for only the forums one is interested in. I don't have anything to say about anything in most of the forums here other than those related to 14+, Durango general, and a couple of others.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Dtan:
I just found out how to switch to dark mode. That helps a BUNCH!!!!! Thanks.

Don

·
Registered
711 Posts
While I understand the need to move to a better platform, not sure this is it.
The bright white background is hard on my old eyes, and switching to the dark theme causes the overlaid graphics to invert colors, so that any white text on the dark background is covered by the white graphics, making the dark theme useless and the text invisible.
Thread pop-up messages get in the way while I'm scrolling through the posts. If I had just joined this forum, these basic issues would cause me to look elsewhere, but I have too much time invested and depend on the other members advice and opinions too much now to move on to another forum.
And on top of this keyboard editing does not work in the messages; control-A, shift-delete, etc.

Not happy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
While I understand the need to move to a better platform, not sure this is it.
The bright white background is hard on my old eyes, and switching to the dark theme causes the overlaid graphics to invert colors, so that any white text on the dark background is covered by the white graphics, making the dark theme useless and the text invisible.
Thread pop-up messages get in the way while I'm scrolling through the posts. If I had just joined this forum, these basic issues would cause me to look elsewhere, but I have too much time invested and depend on the other members advice and opinions too much now to move on to another forum.
And on top of this keyboard editing does not work in the messages; control-A, shift-delete, etc.

Not happy.
There have been a couple forums I'm part of that have moved to this new platform/format. What it actually ends up looking like is really a function of how much work the Administrators want to put into customizing it. They can change the default background colors and some other minor things to make it easier to read.

Generally, the biggest complaint in the stark white background and useless "dark theme" where bright white graphics make it hard to view anyway.

The next biggest complaint is that the mobile interface is god-awful, although they seem to have set the mobile interface up decently here (thanks, Admins!).

·
Registered
2 Posts
There have been a couple forums I'm part of that have moved to this new platform/format. What it actually ends up looking like is really a function of how much work the Administrators want to put into customizing it. They can change the default background colors and some other minor things to make it easier to read.

Generally, the biggest complaint in the stark white background and useless "dark theme" where bright white graphics make it hard to view anyway.

The next biggest complaint is that the mobile interface is god-awful, although they seem to have set the mobile interface up decently here (thanks, Admins!).
your right, the mobile interface is as bad as you can get. you can tell the only people they cared about was the ones with phones-ipads-etc. why else would i have 4 inches of wasted space on both sides of my computer screen. can't even write the program for people who have big computer screens. My pool forum did that, then they put in the software to the program that goes with the redo-to let people who still use computer screen, to let it fill the whole screen, not just the center section. They could do that here, if they really wanted to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts