Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive replaced the ignition coil on my durango about 10 times(literally, im not exagerating at all) in the past year. Does anyone know what can cause it to continuously blow out?? Could the o2 sensors be the culprit? I have no clue!! Ive had nothing but trouble with this truck in the past 2 years that ive owned it. It had 155,xxx on it when i got it. And that seems like the poop out mileage for these suv's.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Could be a short in the wiring...or bad plug wires, spark plugs or a bad cap and rotor.
Are they all good and of good quality?
Are you getting any leaking secondary voltage?

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Welcome,
sounds electrical, short quite possibly, Maybe the ground wire to engine block from battery or fenderwell has corroded.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
Yes Make sure Grounds are real good in the truck seems the volts are unstable. ALso make sure there is a new Battery.
The rest is Cap Rotor and wires and Plugs make sure they are all new
STEVE

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Ive replaced the ignition coil on my durango about 10 times(literally, im not exagerating at all) in the past year. Does anyone know what can cause it to continuously blow out?? Could the o2 sensors be the culprit? I have no clue!! Ive had nothing but trouble with this truck in the past 2 years that ive owned it. It had 155,xxx on it when i got it. And that seems like the poop out mileage for these suv's.
What exactly do you mean by blow out? Does it just quit working or fail spectacularly?

Not sure where you came up with the "poop out milage" either, there are tons of us, myself included, that have way more miles than that (a bunch with well over double that too) without major issues.

·
Administrator
8,035 Posts
I have 165k and 15 years on the original coil.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
oem coil made it 13 years, I have around 10k on this one, quite interesting the coil went out around 162K

·
Registered
10 Posts
170k before I replaced my original coil. Only reason I did it was to match the performance wires and cap/rotor I put on.

+ whatever we are at to checking the grounds, battery, and tune up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts