Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I got rear ended in my 18. Idk how fast he was going, but the hatchback is intruded into the compartment by about 6” and the third row seats showed some skewing. Glass was found in the front passenger seat. I’m ok, just worried about repairs/replacement. The D posts show crumpling (no photos, sorry) and the trunk storage tub was cracked/bent.
Anyone have any luck with getting repairs done with that much damage, or should I be going for replacement?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Yikes, glad you are OK.
I'd just leave it to the professionals. Won't know the extent of the damage until they start pulling it apart.
I'd assume if its still drivable it should be able to be fixed back to like new condition.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's really gonna depend how it looks once the techs get it on a lift. I'm pretty sure the trailer hitch saved you from greater damage.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
He was in a lifted Chevy Silverado, so he missed the trailer hitch all together.
You know there are bumper regulations the manufacturers have to follow that get thrown out the window when someone puts a lift on their vehicle...maybe regulations need to be changed to address that as that big steel bumper can now be a battering ram right at your seating level with the height some of these trucks are sitting..often with larger aftermarket steel bumpers too.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
….and often those lifted trucks now have much larger, heavier wheels which takes a toll on braking distances. Not many owners think of upgrading their brakes when lifting their trucks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You know there are bumper regulations the manufacturers have to follow that get thrown out the window when someone puts a lift on their vehicle...maybe regulations need to be changed to address that as that big steel bumper can now be a battering ram right at your seating level with the height some of these trucks are sitting..often with larger aftermarket steel bumpers too.
I remember some time back, a buddy of mine had a VERY lifted truck and the police stopped him because his bumper height was too tall from the ground. Kinda goes with what you’re saying.
On another note, my pops has mentioned before that the “flatter” rear end vehicles hold up better in crashes. Glad you’re ok!

·
Registered
251 Posts
It's going to be a while before that gets fixed. The tailgate being pushed in says a pull will be needed unless it's so badly bent that replacement is needed.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Being 'unibody' construction, where the body doubles as the frame, I don't hold out much hope for the damage I see being sucessfully repaired. Especially when coupled to your description of "skewing of the third row seats", which might be indicating a bent frame (actually, a warped body here). As others have stated though, that will have to be detirmined by the shops and insurance appraiser. Glad you're ok. Same happened to my neighbor across the street last week and she's still sore, but her three kids made it without a scratch.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
FM:
Glad you are ok, and that your Durango stepped up and protected you. Remember that insurance companies will usually pay up to 85% of the current book value to put a car back on the road. With that in the mix, I imagine that many would not want to drive something that has been repaired to that extent.

YMMV

Don

·
Registered
52 Posts
Whew, sorry to hear. It sucks doesn't it? I was similarly rear-ended in my '17, almost 3 weeks ago now. Stopped at a crosswalk behind a mini-van, and an uninsured mofo plowed into me, and pushed me into the mini-van. Initial insurance appraiser estimate was $11K. When it got into the body shop and took it apart, they added a supplement of another $4,500. My insurance company told the shop they would total it at $19K, and last word from the shop is that they're waiting on theinsurance company to re-appraise it before they get to work.

Fortunately I can work from home. At least, my '99 D1 is running again with a new battery.

D2rearcopy.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whew, sorry to hear. It sucks doesn't it? I was similarly rear-ended in my '17, almost 3 weeks ago now. Stopped at a crosswalk behind a mini-van, and an uninsured mofo plowed into me, and pushed me into the mini-van. Initial insurance appraiser estimate was $11K. When it got into the body shop and took it apart, they added a supplement of another $4,500. My insurance company told the shop they would total it at $19K, and last word from the shop is that they're waiting on theinsurance company to re-appraise it before they get to work.

Fortunately I can work from home. At least, my '99 D1 is running again with a new battery.
Looking at yours I wish I had taken side pictures. I had crumpled/rippling of the pink area. Last call from the shop was after 48 hours they were still taking it apart trying to find where the damage stopped and were pulling interior trim pieces.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just got word today that they're totaling my '17. I'm OK with it, not that I wanted to have to buy a new one, but I now know better what I want in the next one. Plus I'm not under water on the '17 so that's a good thing. I didn't believe the insurance company was going to total it, but when I told them I would also be making a claim for diminished value and a few weeks of a rental, my guess is that put it over the top.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just got word today that they're totaling my '17. I'm OK with it, not that I wanted to have to buy a new one, but I now know better what I want in the next one. Plus I'm not under water on the '17 so that's a good thing. I didn't believe the insurance company was going to total it, but when I told them I would also be making a claim for diminished value and a few weeks of a rental, my guess is that put it over the top.
Sorry to hear about that smkranz..well sorta. The good news also is there are some great deals to be had, a guy on another thread just posted about his.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also just got off the phone with the insurance company. Right now the fixes are around $20,000 and they are not done with the estimate, so expecting it to rise to at least $25k. At least. I’m totaled too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts