Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 SXT and lately the rear lift gate is not operating properly. (it’s not power operated). It will not open all the way, it gets stuck like 6” shy of where it should open fully and I have to push it the rest of the way. I keep hitting my head on it and it’s super annoying. I tried to search for troubleshooting but can’t seem to find anything. Seems like an issue with the hydraulics. Has anyone had this issue or know what could be done before taking it to the dealership?

· Premium Member
2,930 Posts
It is your tail gate struts. Get new ones and install, Pretty easy but you will need someone or something to stabilize the tailgate OPEN when replacing the struts. The door is heavy and could do serious harm if it drops on your head when servicing it.

· Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
760 Posts
If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, find somebody who is handy to help you vs. paying crooked prices at the dealership. It should be about a 10-15 minute job that is just slightly more challenging than replacing wiper blades.

· Registered
1999 Patriot Blue 5.9 SLT Beauty
30 Posts
I have a 2018 SXT and lately the rear lift gate is not operating properly. (it’s not power operated). It will not open all the way, it gets stuck like 6” shy of where it should open fully and I have to push it the rest of the way. I keep hitting my head on it and it’s super annoying. I tried to search for troubleshooting but can’t seem to find anything. Seems like an issue with the hydraulics. Has anyone had this issue or know what could be done before taking it to the dealership?
The struts are usually made in china and mass produced. I believe they are built to fail after a few years and are another expense the buyer is stuck with. Cash cow for the auto parts industry.

· Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,952 Posts
You might find the new ones are much stronger which might throw the gate open, or be hard to pull down. But you'll get used to them.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is your tail gate struts. Get new ones and install, Pretty easy but you will need someone or something to stabilize the tailgate OPEN when replacing the struts. The door is heavy and could do serious harm if it drops on your head when servicing it.

If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, find somebody who is handy to help you vs. paying crooked prices at the dealership. It should be about a 10-15 minute job that is just slightly more challenging than replacing wiper blades.
The struts are usually made in china and mass produced. I believe they are built to fail after a few years and are another expense the buyer is stuck with. Cash cow for the auto parts industry.
You might find the new ones are much stronger which might throw the gate open, or be hard to pull down. But you'll get used to them.
Thank you all so much for the info!

· Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,952 Posts
Same here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts