Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm contemplating just buying a new racetrack light and replace my own? I would use extra sealer or gasket to get better seal. Mine is completely out. It is just matter of time I will get pulled over with no plate light. Dealer wanted $1400+ installed. If I could wire a plate light in somehow screw it I'd leave it out. Will I need new plastic clips of some sort? I thought I read they break? Not sure what they are yet. any input appreciated. P.S. seriously considered just adding a thin led light right above plate but.. afraid to tap into wiring and screwing it all up. Did that adding hitch kit and had to have it towed in.

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
aarman:
It annoys me no end that the racetrack light on the Durangos, is such an issue. The Charger and Dart also have their version of it, yet the Durango has the most trouble with them.
Please consider filing a complaint with NHTSA. While the racetrack light itself is separate from the tail/brake lights themselves, the license plate light is a requirement. IMO, FCA/Stellantis should make things right beyond the 3/36 warranty. It's too expensive of a part/repair for a young vehicle to experience.

Don

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
1,839 Posts
Look for the post @cambo made when he replaced his.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aarman:
It annoys me no end that the racetrack light on the Durangos, is such an issue. The Charger and Dart also have their version of it, yet the Durango has the most trouble with them.
Please consider filing a complaint with NHTSA. While the racetrack light itself is separate from the tail/brake lights themselves, the license plate light is a requirement. IMO, FCA/Stellantis should make things right beyond the 3/36 warranty. It's too expensive of a part/repair for a young vehicle to experience.

Don
Complaint is filed Don- thanks

·
Registered
546 Posts
this video shows how to replace it

If you want to repair it check this out I have the lighting strip Pay for shipping and I will send you a foot of it

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this video shows how to replace it

If you want to repair it check this out I have the lighting strip Pay for shipping and I will send you a foot of it

Thanks! I'm going to wait as of yesterday seems to be coming on most always now? I suspect water dried out? I will look deeper into it. Thanks very much!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts