Dodge Durango Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I also got to enjoy the new snow storm by driving from NH through Albany NY during the thick of it. I did switch out my wheels and tires for a 20x9 replicas wrapped in 265/50R20 Continental TerrainContact ATs, but I was really impressed with how well the DDSRT handled. Using it in auto or sport mode did allow the back end come around due to the awd split. I tried snow mode and the 50/50 split kept the back end in check, but the high level of traction control almost got me hit. When I used an on ramp and crossed a plow curf and started to spin instead of letting me power through it, traction control decided to shut down all power. Even with my foot to the floor I just sat there for seconds with the engine at idle. When I get the Tazer I'll be able to turn off traction control so I think I'll like snow mode a lot more.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same sound. Have had it in both Durango’s and my Malibu now. Think it’s just a by product of stiffer suspension. Going in Saturday to have warranty work done and will have them look to see if anything is loose.

2018 Diamond Black Durango SRT
Haven't been in alot of snow yet but in the rain it has been excellent! Yep snow mode and stay out of the gas should be fine!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the same sound. Have had it in both Durango’s and my Malibu now. Think it’s just a by product of stiffer suspension. Going in Saturday to have warranty work done and will have them look to see if anything is loose.

I had a slight sound from the front end. Ended up being a strut top mount, strut and a tie rod.

The vehicle should not make any noises from suspension or engine bay when hitting bumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
bbtkd
Well since I posted last we got some snow- and no mine is crappy in the snow with the tires that came with it! They load up an become slicks! Not fun! Even in snow mode! So when more then an inch or so on the road I'll be driving my Chevy 4x4!

·
Registered
99 Posts
bbtkd
Well since I posted last we got some snow- and no mine is crappy in the snow with the tires that came with it! They load up an become slicks! Not fun! Even in snow mode! So when more then an inch or so on the road I'll be driving my Chevy 4x4!
Which tires do you have? I've got the Pirelli all-seasons. Since my last post I've driven many times in snows from half-inch to five inches and have had no problems.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Which tires do you have? I've got the Pirelli all-seasons. Since my last post I've driven many times in snows from half-inch to five inches and have had no problems.
Same, the key is to slow down and not try to drive it like the road is dry. I would assume he has the zeros and not scorpions.

·
Registered
116 Posts
bbtkd
Tires make the word of difference. A red or fwd vehicle with good snow tires will out handle a awd/4x4 with all seasons any day of the week. The width of the 295 oem tires coupled with the "all season" tread does not lead to good snow traction no mater how good the vehicle is.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tires make the word of difference. A red or fwd vehicle with good snow tires will out handle a awd/4x4 with all seasons any day of the week. The width of the 295 oem tires coupled with the "all season" tread does not lead to good snow traction no mater how good the vehicle is.
I grew up in Central Wisconsin, driving RWD non-posi cars with standard (non-radial), non-snow tires. I rarely had an issue. When I replace these tires, I may go with 305's, will drop run-flats, and will go with a more aggressive tread. I know the Scorpions aren't as good in winter as others, but still way better than what I grew up with.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm very displeased with the winter scorps.....they only will last 2 winter seasons in the NE and they already hydroplane at 65 and are sliding all over mainly due to rapid tread wear...

·
Registered
458 Posts
I grew up in Central Wisconsin, driving RWD non-posi cars with standard (non-radial), non-snow tires. I rarely had an issue. When I replace these tires, I may go with 305's, will drop run-flats, and will go with a more aggressive tread. I know the Scorpions aren't as good in winter as others, but still way better than what I grew up with.
I wouldn’t go wider if your concerned with handling in snow. You want a narrower tire for winter not wider.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I wouldn’t go wider if your concerned with handling in snow. You want a narrower tire for winter not wider.

I figure a more aggressive tread will make up for the slightly wider tire. If it doesn't, it will at least look sweet and drive decent 99% of the time ;)

·
Registered
689 Posts
I figure a more aggressive tread will make up for the slightly wider tire. If it doesn't, it will at least look sweet and drive decent 99% of the time ;)
Ok, so you would sacrifice performance for a "decent" drive 99% of the time on a high-performance vehicle?
Unless I'm not understanding you, that doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ok, so you would sacrifice performance for a "decent" drive 99% of the time on a high-performance vehicle?
Unless I'm not understanding you, that doesn't make any sense.
What I'm saying is that 99% (or more) of the time, I'm driving on clean, dry pavement, so an aggressive tire pattern on a slightly wider tire should provide equal or better traction as compared to my current Pirelli Scorpions. For that 1% or less of the time that the road surface is not ideal, the sacrifice is none or negligible, so I'll accept that for sweet-looking slightly wider tires.

·
Registered
689 Posts
What I'm saying is that 99% (or more) of the time, I'm driving on clean, dry pavement, so an aggressive tire pattern on a slightly wider tire should provide equal or better traction as compared to my current Pirelli Scorpions. For that 1% or less of the time that the road surface is not ideal, the sacrifice is none or negligible, so I'll accept that for sweet-looking slightly wider tires.
Ok, THAT makes sense...lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
I live in an area where it snows. Wife's DDSRT came with summer tires. They are great in rain and temps over 45 degrees. Predictably terrible in snow and cold. I got a second set of Jeep srt reproduction rims and mounted Blizzak snow tires for winter. Outfitted this way DDSRT is surefooted and handles worst winter weather with ease.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yep P zeros run flats! Definitely be looking for a all year tire! I grew up an learned to drive in Western NY so I know when tires are no good in the snow! Believe me I could drive my SRT in any weather but I don't want to wreck it either! Sure wish the Mich XLT tires I had on my 5..7 Hemi Jeep were available in this size excellent all weather tires!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts