Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Charger Daytona. 2016 r/t challenger. 2021 Durango SRT
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dodge only using one hood support strut is just cheap as hell. Especially on a 70k vehicle. I could understand it on a kia or some other 20k car but damn. About as stupid as using only one motor to open the rear hatch.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Dodge only using one hood support strut is just cheap as hell. Especially on a 70k vehicle. I could understand it on a kia or some other 20k car but damn. About as stupid as using only one motor to open the rear hatch.
View attachment 113718
They could have really cheaped out and just used a rod.

1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto

·
Registered
2017 Charger Daytona. 2016 r/t challenger. 2021 Durango SRT
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They could have really cheaped out and just used a rod.

1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto
Probably would have been better

·
Registered
748 Posts
Just upgraded mine! Stock is supposed to be around 55lbs of pressure this one is 80lbs of pressure. Hood closes just fine. Now I can hang my full underhood LED work light without the hood slamming shut on me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
x 2 on the rod being better. The pressurized cylinders will lose their charge eventually, which is noticed when it's colder out. The darned hood won't stay open then. I would prefer the rod.

Don

Reactions: Blueridge smoke

·
Registered
2013 Durango R/T 5.7 - Black w/blackout package
244 Posts
All I see is a 392...…….. :)

Reactions: Don Fox

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just upgraded mine! Stock is supposed to be around 55lbs of pressure this one is 80lbs of pressure. Hood closes just fine. Now I can hang my full underhood LED work light without the hood slamming shut on me!
Thanks for the website. I have been looking for new struts for my 2005 liftgate. I was really hoping for something with an additional inch or two of lift so I don't hang my forehead on it, but I will settle for the thing actually lifting all the way in winter instead of having to lift it up the rest of the way by hand.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Thanks for the website. I have been looking for new struts for my 2005 liftgate. I was really hoping for something with an additional inch or two of lift so I don't hang my forehead on it, but I will settle for the thing actually lifting all the way in winter instead of having to lift it up the rest of the way by hand.
Search the website for compatible rear liftgate struts that have a body length and stroke a little bit longer than stock to provide a little more lift. I have a power liftgate and haven’t looked into it yet. I don’t know if the electronic arm is the limiting factor or the strut.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Search the website for compatible rear liftgate struts that have a body length and stroke a little bit longer than stock to provide a little more lift. I have a power liftgate and haven’t looked into it yet. I don’t know if the electronic arm is the limiting factor or the strut.

Yeah, they have some, but they have straight ball joints, not bent like the originals.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Yeah, they have some, but they have straight ball joints, not bent like the originals.
Show me what you mean. I just looked it up and they do have some with a longer body/stroke that are compatible.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you look at the connection specs at the bottom, the body connection lists a 16 degree angled connector for the side that attaches to the lift gate. I confirmed that the ones on mine are indeed angled.

I found some that would with an additional 2 inch of lift with at least 160lb lift, like the originals; but the only 3 that came up all have straight ball joints, not like the originals. I am not sure if they would work since it seems the angled joint is critical based on the design of the lift gate.

·
Registered
748 Posts
If you look at the connection specs at the bottom, the body connection lists a 16 degree angled connector for the side that attaches to the lift gate. I confirmed that the ones on mine are indeed angled.

I found some that would with an additional 2 inch of lift with at least 160lb lift, like the originals; but the only 3 that came up all have straight ball joints, not like the originals. I am not sure if they would work since it seems the angled joint is critical based on the design of the lift gate.

I see what you mean. I saw that as well. Only one way to find out!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts