Dodge Durango Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Premium Member
2,643 Posts
I just want to know that I can do what my speedometer states.....not like I didn't spend good $$ could have just got a base model
The standard R/T gets you the 5.7 engine with some suspension tweaks.
The TnG R/T gets the SRT suspension but is limited to 145MPH.
FYI. Run your standard R/T against a TnG and you have a chance beating it since (to 118mph) they are heavier. So you have the quicker R/T :D

· Registered
648 Posts
And that's with no work done and what is your tire rating?
No work done to it - just a baseline. I was just getting numbers to see if the truck was making the power Dodge says it should. Anyway, the TnG package includes SRT brakes, wheels, tires, and suspension along with the permanent 4 wheel drive transfer case. Mine was delivered with Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season Run Flats in 295/45/ZR20 (110Y). According to Tire Rack, The Y rating means 186+ mph.

· Registered
2022 Durango R/T+ AWD Diamond black/black
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
No work done to it - just a baseline. I was just getting numbers to see if the truck was making the power Dodge says it should. Anyway, the TnG package includes SRT brakes, wheels, tires, and suspension along with the permanent 4 wheel drive transfer case. Mine was delivered with Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season Run Flats in 295/45/ZR20 (110Y). According to Tire Rack, The Y rating means 186+ mph.
Ok that is definitely different than the 265/50R20 that I have

· Registered
648 Posts
The TnG definitely has a programmed fuel cut at 145, but mine got to 147 because it was still accelerating pretty quickly. Keep in mind it's a lot easier to get the drivetrain to those speeds with no wind drag. I have no idea if the truck could run that fast in real life. Unless I can find an abandoned airstrip, I don't think I'll ever find out.

· Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
698 Posts
The TnG definitely has a programmed fuel cut at 145, but mine got to 147 because it was still accelerating pretty quickly. Keep in mind it's a lot easier to get the drivetrain to those speeds with no wind drag. I have no idea if the truck could run that fast in real life. Unless I can find an abandoned airstrip, I don't think I'll ever find out.
Live life on the edge and run it at an ACTIVE airstrip. Then you'll get see if you can outrun the cops too!

· Registered
648 Posts
I just want to know that I can do what my speedometer states.....not like I didn't spend good $$ could have just got a base model
Do you honestly think most cars actually can do the top speed listed on the dash?

People pay for the V8's in a Durango to get better acceleration and sound, not necessarily top speed. While the police service/package V6 models may be geared for 128 or higher, they will never get there as quickly as the V8's can.

The speed limiter is set based on the tires the truck was built with, not the engine, nor the dashboard. That's why the R/T is 118, the R/T TnG is 145, and the SRT's are even higher (perhaps unlimited). I know the hellcat DD is claimed to reach 180.

But really... why would you even consider driving a Durango at ANY of those speeds on a public road? I can't imagine any good reason for that. In my state (Virginia), reckless starts at 20mph over the posted limit, OR 80mph anywhere in the state. If you have an accident at those speeds, it then becomes a class 6 felony. You can even get 2 days in jail for every mph above 90.

Just sayin' ...

· Registered
2022 Durango R/T+ AWD Diamond black/black
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Do you honestly think most cars actually can do the top speed listed on the dash?

People pay for the V8's in a Durango to get better acceleration and sound, not necessarily top speed. While the police service/package V6 models may be geared for 128 or higher, they will never get there as quickly as the V8's can.

The speed limiter is set based on the tires the truck was built with, not the engine, nor the dashboard. That's why the R/T is 118, the R/T TnG is 145, and the SRT's are even higher (perhaps unlimited). I know the hellcat DD is claimed to reach 180.

But really... why would you even consider driving a Durango at ANY of those speeds on a public road? I can't imagine any good reason for that. In my state (Virginia), reckless starts at 20mph over the posted limit, OR 80mph anywhere in the state. If you have an accident at those speeds, it then becomes a class 6 felony. You can even get 2 days in jail for every mph above 90.

Just sayin' ...
Thank you for the traffic law lesson.....you don't know what tires I have (not stock) and we do have race areas around me

· Registered
648 Posts
Thank you for the traffic law lesson.....you don't know what tires I have (not stock) and we do have race areas around me
I'm sorry to offend your sensibilities.
It seems you know exactly what you're doing.
Good luck with your Durango racing exploits!

· Premium Member
2,643 Posts
Ain't that always the way it is? I'd love to run the Ammo Can at the Texas Mile but the expense is more than I want to pay. But I would sure like to know what it will really do.
I would jump on the chance unless it was > $1k.
I'd pay up to 1000 bucks to make a a couple of runs on a closed course with a Hellcat.

· Registered
243 Posts
He said: "The speed limiter is set based on the tires the truck was built with..." You can put whatever tires on it, it doesn't change the fact Dodge (also insert every car manufacturer) limits top speed based on the OEM tires that it rolled off the assembly line with.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts