Dodge Durango Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ok, that is great and all, but seems so unnecessary. The lights are pretty cool though. I personally will stick to more performance based mods. All of this extra stuff is kinda like the guys who are really into stereo systems and spend a whole lotta time and money on things that ultimately don't do a whole lotta anything. But, I do admire your technical know how and like seeing what you're working on... I just don't get it. So, hopefully you're not offended.
PS...please don't blind people with the new setup. :)
I guess I wouldn’t call it unnecessary because it’s an upgrade. Who wouldn’t want more light on the road when driving at night? The stock D3S ballasts/bulbs are nothing compared to this setup. I will retain the auto leveling feature so there will be zero glare into oncoming traffic. It’s not like throwing HIDs into a halogen reflector which is what a lot of uneducated people do and which causes safety issues for other drivers.

I’m using all OEM components from different vehicles (Lexus, Audi, BMW) to increase my light output and to be safer on the road.

I guess everything I do is because I want to make it better for my personal driving experience whether its audio, lighting or performance. I wouldn’t make a modification that would compromise the integrity of safely driving for myself or other motorists. Tony, I don’t get offended. Everybody has their opinion...I’m not out to please everybody. I just enjoy tinkering with things (you should see my daughters lifted Jeep power wheels!!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I’m a fan but you already know that. It takes time and significant effort and time to take these lights apart. Looking forward to the output shots

I’m hoping in the next couple of weeks this project will be complete. Having one bad LED for the demon eye really threw this project off. I would have had it done already.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Update: only one internal piece needed to be painted black after stripping the chrome. All pieces that were plated chrome are actually black plastic!! FCA...save yourself the hassle and just blackout everything!

Turn signal reflector = black
DRL reflector = black
Projector surround inner bezel = black
Main bezel = black

Waiting on a new red LED board for the demon eye since I got a defective one.

Next step: integrating the factory wiring harness with the aftermarket relay harness and variable wattage (35W/46W/55W) HellaGen3 ballasts.

Here is my relay board to control the variable wattage ballasts. The Maestro RR2 that was installed with my Pioneer HU has 3 programmable outputs and can be programmed with many OEM buttons on the vehicle. Here’s the setup:

*Red Demon eyes will come on automatically when the Durango’s engine is on and in PARK. They will turn off anytime the gear selector is in DRIVE and will come on when put back into PARK.

*If the Vol+ button is pushed and held it will activate the 55W setting on the custom HellaGen3 ballasts. If the Vol+ button is pushed and held again it will de-activate the 55W setting and go back to 35W. It is setup as a latched switch.

* If the Vol- button is pushed and held it will activate the 46W setting on the custom HellaGen3 ballasts. If the Vol- button is pushed and held again it will de-activate the 46W setting and go back to 35W. It is setup as a latched switch.

I will also have 55W activated whenever the high beams are activated. The HellaGen3 ballasts have a custom wiring harness to integrate into the factory wiring and aftermarket relay harness.

Very cool! I have a spare set of HIDs that need some love if you get bored after finishing your project....

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Very cool! I have a spare set of HIDs that need some love if you get bored after finishing your project....

I’ll need a full week straight to do another set! Now that I know what I’m doing. First time cracking these open and planning the setup has taken a long time.

I’ve got extras of almost everything for another complete retrofit

·
Registered
429 Posts
I’ll need a full week straight to do another set! Now that I know what I’m doing. First time cracking these open and planning the setup has taken a long time.

I’ve got extras of almost everything for another complete retrofit

I’ll be your 1st customer...pick me please, please

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Part of the wiring that needs to be completed outside of the headlight housing. What’s not shown is the trigger wire for the demon eyes and the internal wiring of the headlights.

2015+ MOPAR Spec HID relay harness (top)

Variable wattage ballasts harness (bottom)
*single pin connector pigtail = 55W on demand with high beams trigger wire
**double pin connector pigtail (passenger side) is the 46W & 55W switched trigger wires controlled by the Maestro RR2 module

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Working on the integration of the factory headlight wiring (this is the right/passenger side but will be duplicated on the left/driver side) to connect the:

1. Red demon eyes (ground will be internally on the factory connector/+12V will be the green wire)

2. HID low beam ballast trigger (cut the factory connector off since its specific to the OEM ballasts) and replace with a 9006 connector to mate with the aftermarket HID relay harness.

OEM Wiring

New wiring
*The green wire (+12V for the red demon eye - Ground is internal on an existing ground connection at the headlight connector) and black/red wires (+12V/Ground) will exit through a small hole drilled in the gray factory headlight connector to get the wires out of the headlight housing to external connections. It is sealed with a small dab of E600 adhesive.

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi AWD
68 Posts
Are there any updates? What did you use as stripper for the plastic? Can you elaborate on that process a bit? Also, can you name the sealant you’re using I’m looking to do this just to strip and paint my housings. Great work so far!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Are there any updates? What did you use as stripper for the plastic? Can you elaborate on that process a bit? Also, can you name the sealant you’re using I’m looking to do this just to strip and paint my housings. Great work so far!
No updates, been super busy.

I stripped the chrome/platinum plating with heavy duty easy off oven cleaner. Just sprayed it on and let it work for a couple of minutes and then rinse off. I had to repeat this a couple of times on a couple of pieces.

When I seal the headlights I’m using rubber butyl that comes in a long roll of tape.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Update:

ALL black internals (chrome plating removed from DRL reflector and turn signal reflector)

ABS plates JBWelded to headlight housing to seal up the area where the OEM ballasts used to reside.

Headlights sealed up after testing the electrical connections for high beam activation, DRL, side marker and demon eye.

Adapter plate for Hella Gen3 Ballasts to mount in OEM ballast location

New ballasts connections. Routed the wires through the dust cap by drilling very small holes to still retain the waterproof dust cap.

Bench testing the demon eye using the OEM connector in the back of the headlight housing just as it would function on the Durango

I know it doesn’t look like much progress but lots of planning involved to be as plug and play as possible. Next up is picking D2S bulbs, removing front fascia and installing the HID relay harness, variable wattage ballast harness and demon eye harness.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Had to paint the projector surround piece black because that part is white after I stripped the chrome plating off. Forgot to add this to the above post.

These pieces are all black plastic once the chrome was stripped.

Before chrome was stripped

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Installation complete! In progress pics below. Night shots in the next post.

Retrofit consists of:
•OEM Mopar HID/Xenon headlight housings to retain factory specs originally equipped with the vehicle (auto leveling).
•Full blackout of all inner headlight pieces including turn signal reflector and DRL reflector
•RX350 bixenon projectors with STi-R clear lens swap.
•D2S Osram CBI bulbs
•Red Profile LED Demon Eyes (only ON in Park OFF in R/N/D - controlled by Maestro RR2 module)
•Hella Gen3 ballasts modified to run variable wattage of 35w/45w/55w (controlled by Maestro RR2). Programmed the Volume + (push & hold) button on the steering wheel for 45w selectable output and the Volume - (push & hold) button for 55w selectable output.
•HD relay harness with capacitor to smooth out factory PWM signal.
•Modified inner headlight harness for plug and play capabilities with the engine bay headlight housing connections.
•Automatic 55w ballast output when activating high beams. Had to splice into 1 wire for this feature. No other factory wires were spliced, all headlight connectors utilized for seamless integration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off great write up on the headlight black out it looks great. I have a question, when you took the projector off the two upper nipple mounts how did you remove it the projector without breaking the mounts?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
First off great write up on the headlight black out it looks great. I have a question, when you took the projector off the two upper nipple mounts how did you remove it the projector without breaking the mounts?
After I had stripped out all the reflectors and other components I threw the headlight housing back in the oven to heat up the plastic sockets they attached to the metal ball. Popped right off with a extra rigid 90° plastic pry tool. Heat is your friend.

Build thread: 2016 R/T - awehlage’s build

21 - 40 of 40 Posts