Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to adjust the HID headlights? I have a ‘15 citadel with the auto level headlights and it bugs me how off the vertical alignment of the driver and passenger headlights are.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I went on a trip with my mother and father right after I bought my 2011 R/T. I followed them for most of the trip. The first time we stopped after dark my mom told me the I need to have the lights adjusted because the right headlight was blinding her in the mirror. When I pulled back into the garage I did notice that the right headlight beam was higher than the left, but I too, have the self leveling HID’s. I could see that they were both working as you can watch them level when you start the vehicle. So I went to the google machine and started reading. I found several articles that discussed it and it made sense after reading. From what I read they do this on purpose. The right headlight is higher to aide in viewing road signs and to illuminate the shoulder of the road further in front of you. Since it is the right headlight it does not bother oncoming traffic. Long story short, I did not mess with mine as I believe that’s how it is supposed to be.

·
Registered
160 Posts
yes theres a way to adjust the beam...theres a small hole on top of the plastic guard over the headlamp with a torques screw

·
Registered
326 Posts
I went on a trip with my mother and father right after I bought my 2011 R/T. I followed them for most of the trip. The first time we stopped after dark my mom told me the I need to have the lights adjusted because the right headlight was blinding her in the mirror. When I pulled back into the garage I did notice that the right headlight beam was higher than the left, but I too, have the self leveling HID’s. I could see that they were both working as you can watch them level when you start the vehicle. So I went to the google machine and started reading. I found several articles that discussed it and it made sense after reading. From what I read they do this on purpose. The right headlight is higher to aide in viewing road signs and to illuminate the shoulder of the road further in front of you. Since it is the right headlight it does not bother oncoming traffic. Long story short, I did not mess with mine as I believe that’s how it is supposed to be.
Interesting and good find. I upgraded from halogen to LED and have the same exact issue and it bothers the pi$$ out of me. Now granted I don’t have self leveling lights on mine, so I can scratch that theory off of it being the problem. I’m actually in the middle of returning a set to try a different set. I heard stories that some bulbs just don’t work right in the projectors and have this issue as well. My switchback fog lights through projector don’t have this issue. When I was testing my beam pattern or cutoff line was higher on the passenger then the driver side! I thought this cutoff line was supposed to be identical???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
When using led lights the sources must be facing to the left and right not up and down as most people would think...and adjustment down would help

·
Registered
326 Posts
When using led lights the sources must be facing to the left and right not up and down as most people would think...and adjustment down would help
So your saying I have to adjust the driver side to go up a bit or the passenger side to go down a bit? Yes my bulbs were clocked 3 and 9..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had to adjust both of mine down compared to having the halogens in...park facing a wall 20feet back ..note the placement of the halogens on the wall and then replace with the leds and see where they are

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I fully understand why they are like that. My Mazda was the same way. It just annoys me. Any HID set worth their salt will do just fine both projecting at the same level. I just think it looks trash with a non-uniform beam pattern straight across the front.

·
Registered
2017 Citadel AWD 5.7L Hemi Vice White
81 Posts
I recently lowered my passenger side headlight after putting in a new HID bulb. The dealer installed the new bulb wrong at first and it was aiming too low. Then they must have tried to compensate for it by tilting the projector way up. After I reinstalled the bulb, I noticed it was aiming too high. So I just parked it in front of the garage door at night and turned that screw with a long Philips screwdriver until the hot spot is about the same level as the driver side. Pretty easy. You just need a long screwdriver to reach the adjustment screw.

I get the theory for making the passenger side a little higher, but I've never seen that on any of the other cars with HID lights I've had. Plus, I'm OCD and misaligned things bother me. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts