Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 2016 Dodge Durango Citadel with the 5.7 Hemi. I would say within the last 15000km (~<10,000 miles) I started noticing a tick. I should say that a lot of my driving is at highway speeds and I'm often not anywhere that I would have my vehicle running that I would hear anything other than a loud noise coming from my engine (ie where sound would reverberate and amplify noises). About 15000 km ago I thought I heard the engine noise change a bit but thought nothing of it as we were in a cold snap and if you live somewhere that gets truly cold (-30--40 Celcius), you know this happens. I dismissed it until recently I noticed a noise in the engine from inside the cabin. That noise ended up being my water pump (replaced under warranty), but while investigating that noise I realized very quickly the ticking was much louder. I took my vehicle into the dealer as it has 10,000 km left on the warranty and get them to have a mechanic listen to it and see what could be done. They ended up finding an exhaust manifold bolt broken and replaced it under warranty and said the ticking was gone. This was a relief or so I thought until I picked up my vehicle and before I left the lot was back to the service desk to tell them the noise was still there. I left it again and was informed that the mechanics couldn't hear anything and the noises the engine was making was normal. This in my mind is complete BS and I feel like they are just trying to wait out my warranty to collect on the lifter/cam job at from what I've read $4-5k+.

I'm going to take my vehicle into another dealership to have them look at it as well.

The couple questions I have are :

1. Am I nuts and what I'm hearing is NOT the lifters (links below)?

2. If people think it is the lifters, how should I go about dealing with the new dealership so that I don't get denied as I was in my first dealership experience
3. When you take your vehicle to a Dodge Dealership, do they share information about vehicles under warranty and the work thats been done to them if they aren't under the same owner operator umbrella?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I definitely dont want to get stuck with a $4-5k+ repair job when it should be under warranty.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Honestly, it sounds normal...I've put my stethoscope on mine and found the Hemi tick to be the injectors. That said and not being there warranty work should be in the computer and I've gone to different dealers for warranty, they don't care, its money for them. They won't deny warranty work, they don't want to check your vehicle out and then not get paid so they will try and find out if there is a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,242 Posts
@ Greg:
Welcome to DDN. The exhaust manifold issue is a common one across the line of Hemis as well as the older D's with the OHC 4.7L Based upon your videos, I do not hear anything of concern at present. That could change overnight though, as it can with any vehicle. This newer (as in since '03) version of the Hemi is known for some upper engine noise. I have to laugh, as the REAL Hemi of the 60's/70's probably had such a raucous exhaust note, that you would not have heard engine noises like we are hearing anyway.
I would just monitor it, and make sure your concerns are documented by your dealer in the event that an issue appears.

@ Chase:
Your description fits a dealer that understands customer service, and wants to take care of things.

The gentleman here on the Charger forum I frequent told the story of his '14 Charger RT AWD with a failed rearend well under the then 5/100 powertrain warranty. His dealer told him that since there was no documentation (in their system) that he had ever rotated the tires, that he would be paying the $1K repair bill. They had noted some uneven tire wear during their inspection. The owner's manual does state that the tires should be rotated at every oil change, or earlier if uneven wear is noted.

Same forum, different '14 Charger R/T, again well within the 5/100 PT warranty with a transmission issue. The dealer refused to touch it, saying that his aftermarket exhaust and headers would need to to be removed, and the oem system reinstalled before they would proceed.

I stopped counting when we had the infamous '13-'17 Hemi water pump boondoggle where they were dropping faster than funnel cakes at the county fair. As I recall, the '15s were REALLY bad for this. The pumps were on national backorder, and the good dealers were installing aftermarket pumps, or the oem 6.4L pump to get D/JGC owners back on the road.

Then there were the dealers who told people that the PT warranty didn't cover water pumps, or were unaware of the extended warranty on them, and charged for the repair.

No need to go on, but we all need to do our due diligence to be sure our fav mechanic or dealer isn't leading us down the hallway to their good "friend" Ben Dover by design, or by ignorance.

Don

Reactions: M-D-Z

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a 'tick' on mine ('18 Hemi) only on cold startups, lasts about 30 seconds. Seems to have got better running AmsOil. I have read in other forums that people have had some success with RedLine oil, not sure if it is true or not, supposedly there are different additives. I pretty much just assume its normal at this point, once warmed up it sounds normal.

Reactions: pridbor and Don Fox

·
Registered
235 Posts
Took me like dealership visit to get lifters/rock arms replaced. When I picked up the truck it was smooth no ticking. But over time the ticking has come back.

I’m sure dealerships keep notes to share with each other to not get scammed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to provide a short update. I took the durango to a second dealer and they confirmed they hear the noise and acknowledged it is abnormal.

I took it in to be looked at for Wednesday morning. By Wednesday afternoon they called and advised they will need to keep it a couple extra days. The service tech said they had the valve covers off and were going to check the lifters. Then, they said, they saw smoke and need more time to look into that.

Um... I took it in for a ticking... and now they tell me they saw smoke inside the engine...

I will hopefully know more Monday but I'm curious what else could be going on?

Thoughts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts