Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post.

From the top. My roommate borrowed my 98 Durango and when he returned it he left the all the electronics on and ignored the ding from the headlights on. I didn't find this out until the next day when I went to replace a window regulator. Now the engine won't start. It makes the clicking noise and all the electronics come on but after jumping it, it starts then dies immediately. I try to pump the gas and keep it revved around 1500 rpms but as soon as I let go of the gas it dies. Spark plugs are new, oil pump is new but battery is a few years old. Is that what it is or is there more?

Please help.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The Gen1 Durangos are very, VERY, picky about the battery voltage and charge level. Since the battery went completely down, you'll have to charge it back up to allow the truck to run correctly. The computer in the truck requires a constant voltage and the battery supplies this to it. If the battery is not up to the task, the computer will not allow the truck to idle or run correctly. Keep the RPMs up until the batery has charged; put a charger on the battery for a few hours; or replace the battery. If the battery is over 3 years or so old, it's probably time for a new one anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Either use a jump/charger to build up power in battery, say 1/2 hour at 10amp mode. or using battery cables from another car, connect cables up, with other engine running for 5-10 minutes before starting your. atleast it will get some lasting charge into your battery. if neither of these work, most likely you alternator has gone south for the winter. Better yet, swap out the battery from your room mates car, if he has one!

·
Administrator
8,022 Posts
It could be as easy as a proper battery charge. It could also be that you need a new battery. Not knowing where you are located ( as TomK has requested) it could be that your battery has bitten the dust due to being drained and the cold.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be as easy as a proper battery charge. It could also be that you need a new battery. Not knowing where you are located ( as TomK has requested) it could be that your battery has bitten the dust due to being drained and the cold.
I am located in Northern Arizona.

·
Super Moderator
12,665 Posts
What's the date code on your battery? there should be a sticker with a letter/number code (like K8)

...tom

·
Administrator
28,310 Posts
Charge it and give it a try

·
Super Moderator
12,665 Posts
I went thru this once when I killed the battery in my '99. It was never the same, even after many slow charges.. ended up replacing the battery.

This is the classic symptom of the PCM not being able to control idle. you MAY be able to retrain it by feathering the throttle and letting it get near stall and then catching it. You need to retrain the idle air control settings. This will probably take 10-15 minutes.

...tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went thru this once when I killed the battery in my '99. It was never the same, even after many slow charges.. ended up replacing the battery.

This is the classic symptom of the PCM not being able to control idle. you MAY be able to retrain it by feathering the throttle and letting it get near stall and then catching it. You need to retrain the idle air control settings. This will probably take 10-15 minutes.

...tom
Im replacing the battery now. I will update with whatever happens.

·
Super Moderator
12,665 Posts
you may still have to do a minute or two of retraining.

...tom

·
Registered
711 Posts
+1 on the "retraining" - replaced my 6year old diehard and had to let the truck idle and keep feathering the gas a bit til it figured it out. after that, good to go. no more issues.

·
Administrator
28,310 Posts
You will surely have to retrain the PCM 3-5 mins of feathering throttle
STEVE

·
Super Moderator
12,665 Posts
PCM=Powertrain Control Module.

You'll need to retrain the idle air settings by feathering the throttle to just barely keep the engine running when it tries to stall.

·
Administrator
28,310 Posts
YEAH WHAT I SAID 3-5 MINS of FEATHERING THROTTLE!
STEVE

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE: just recharged the battery to full. suv is running good. thank you to everyone who offered advice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts