Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a new member. I have been reading through the forums and the information has been very helpful. I want to thank you all for the information I have already gotten from the site.

I have a 1999 Durango with the 5.9L engine. My parents bought the car new and I took it off of their hands about 6 years ago. The A/C was not working when I got it. Recently I broke down and decided to spend the money to fix it (I now live in Florida and it got rough).

The steps I have taken:

I replaced the compressor, evaporator, condenser, drier, and main A/C lines.
I flushed the system using compressed A/C Flush in a can.
I pulled a vacuum using a vacuum pump from AutoZone (where I work).
I charged the system with r134a.

The compressor kicked on and started working right away. The A/C gets very cold and seems to work great. The problem now is that the clutch never disengages. I can turn the blower switch to the off setting and the compressor still stays engaged. I suspected the switch itself immediately and unplugged the wiring connector from the back of the switch and the compressor still stays engaged. Pulling the compressor relay disengages the compressor, but I swapped the relay with other relays in the box since they are all the same relay and the compressor stays engaged with any relay plugged in.

As far as the compressor cycling, I have not seen it cycle. I watched the high and low side pressures, however, and they don't change much. The low side sticks around 35-45psi and the high side around 150-200 depending on how hot it is outside and don't seem to move around very much at all.

I'm not sure what the next step should be. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts