Dodge Durango Forum banner

Help with 2005 Dodge Durango SLT

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  wfuuna 
#1 ·
Hi. I am new here. I have a 2005 Durango SLT that I was hoping that someone might be able to help me with. Please forgive my ignorance. I have two issues currently:

My Durango came with the factory towing package, with the 7-blade and 4 pin connectors. The bracket has been damaged and I need to replace them. I made the mistake of cutting the wires in front of the connector and now I don't know how to connect it back to my aftermarket socket.
I bought a Hopkins #47185 wiring kit, which has both the 4-pin and 7-blade sockets. I connected the 4-pin to the one on the Durango. But, that leaves 8 wires that need to be assigned. Would anyone have a diagram of the rectangle plug that I destroyed? I need to figure out where to connect each of the wires (I have the wiring diagram on the new one, just don't want to make a mistake on which one). Also, there are two black wires. What's up with that? And which one is the electric brakes?

I also would like to add bluetooth connectivity to my factory stereo. There is no aux cable, but I was hoping someone might direct me to an adapter or something I can plug into the back of the stereo to add an aux input (that I can find a bluetooth adapter to plug into it). I have checked around and don't think anyone makes anything like this. Any advice? Am I just out of luck without replacing the entire stereo?

Thank you for your help.

See less See more
#4 ·
Can't help you any further than that. If you're not skilled in wiring, I suggest you take it to someone that can do it for you. Not sure how you intend to connect the replacement wiring as far as splicing, etc.

#5 ·
Join Gen3 Durango family on Facebook. Many here are on there ans vice versa. Lots of knowledge and discussion. I agree that if you don't know wiring, don't dabble with it. You can mess the computer into spitting up codes.

#6 ·
Update, I have finished the installation and everything works fine. The diagram that DuRonbo posted was exactly what I needed and I was able to figure it out from there.

These are the other projects I'd like to tackle with the Durango:

1. I'm getting new tires on Wednesday.

2. I need new front and rear bumper covers and a new front grille, new drivers side headlight, drivers side front fender, and maybe a new hood. Does anybody have a recommendation as to where to find these cheaply? I can probably do body work to fix the hood, but the others will need to be replaced. I'll get a new paint job when it is all done.

3. I would like to upgrade my radio. I saw the thread about replacing the factory stereo with a double din unit. I may try that soon.

4. The keyless entry/ key fob system died years ago. Any suggestions about how to do this cheaply?

Thanks for any help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.