Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every since I've owned this Durango I have had a rattle that is only present at 2500RPMs, I am not able to tell where it is coming from other than it's coming from the rear of the vehicle. I have looked under it and have not found any conflicting heat shielding. This noise has never gone away and always occurs at 2500RPMs (In any drive gear). If anyone has had any experience with this at all or any ideas as what could be causing this I would be extremely grateful. I have attached a audio sample below.

,Thanks

Unknown Rattle Noise

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
I listened to the audio and if you are talking about what I would call, a Tinny Buzz sound for a couple of seconds, it sounds to me like a heat shield vibration. Maybe a heat shield is touching something.

Reactions: NitricWave

·
Registered
2013 Durango R/T 5.7 - Black w/blackout package
470 Posts
Can you replicate the sound without the truck being in gear?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I listened to the audio and if you are talking about what I would call, a Tinny Buzz sound for a couple of seconds, it sounds to me like a heat shield vibration. Maybe a heat shield is touching something.
Yeah that's what i thought, would their be any reason why it would only happen in drive and not in neutral or park?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See attached. I know your issue is not related, but maybe the bolt on this starcase communication on your durango is starting to loose and create a rattle? Might also be a rock, but i'ts worth to double check
I appreciate the tsb, i went to check. Unfortunately the nut is their so that probably isn't the cause of the noise.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
That "thumping" sound is typically a loose spare tire cable, not holding the spare all the way up, so it's flopping around in it's 'cubbyhole'. Took me a WEEK to find that on my SXT, :rolleyes: until I finally put 2+2 together and realized I had dropped the spare to install my trailer hitch and receiver. I DID tighten it originally, but apparently, the cable needs to be re-tightened sometimes when the spare is dropped for any reason, due to the weight of the tire pulling any residual slack out of the spool of cable.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Unknown Rattle Noise In Park and Neutral

It's not as loud as when it is in drive which makes me think it has something to do with when the engine is under load.
Yes when the engine is under load, the position of things is different then when being in park or neutral.
When I was a kid my mother's cougar would make a rattle noise when driving but not in park or neutral.
The catalytic converters were the cause and once replaced, no more rattle.

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT 392
1,260 Posts
Every since I've owned this Durango I have had a rattle that is only present at 2500RPMs, I am not able to tell where it is coming from other than it's coming from the rear of the vehicle. I have looked under it and have not found any conflicting heat shielding. This noise has never gone away and always occurs at 2500RPMs (In any drive gear). If anyone has had any experience with this at all or any ideas as what could be causing this I would be extremely grateful. I have attached a audio sample below.

,Thanks

Unknown Rattle Noise
Do you have aftermarket exhaust? Sometimes there can be vibration caused by the frequency of the exhaust and it only occurs at certain rpm and when the motor is under a load. If it’s the stock exhaust, it could be a baffle inside the muffler has broke loose.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you have aftermarket exhaust? Sometimes there can be vibration caused by the frequency of the exhaust and it only occurs at certain rpm and when the motor is under a load. If it’s the stock exhaust, it could be a baffle inside the muffler has broke loose.
Yes it is a stock exhaust and it does kinda sound like that has happened, not shure if i wanna xpipe in it or replace it with a new mid muffler.

·
Registered
440 Posts

,Thanks

Unknown Rattle Noise
Hi NitricWave,
Please be sure to keep us posted as you continue to monitor this. If you decide to address this concern with your certified Dodge dealer, please feel free to send us a private message. We would be happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
107 Posts
OP - Here's a thought.

Have a friend or someone else get in the car and hold the RPM's and you get under and check.

When I first got my 16' R/T I had a similar noise and thought it was coming from the back of the car. Turns out it was a heat shield in the middle of the undercarriage that was just barely tapping the pipe. They are a very pliable material and can easily be bent.

Otherwise, depending on your speed at 2500 RPM, after 4th gear, the car will go into "lockup" through 8th gear. That can cause a burring type noise for a second or so.

Hopefully you can figure out what it is before taking it to a shop and them throwing hours at it only to find nothing.

Check the exhaust hangars, the heat shields, molds under the car, etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts