Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all new here and new to Durango’s I have a 98 5.2 and it had an exhaust leak the bolts broke off in the head. I’m not a newbie mechanic by any means but I’m stumped.
Replaced the head with a refurb one everything went exactly as planned. The only thing that I didn’t care for was the rear of the intake the rubber gasket that has the dimples to hold it in wasn’t staying exactly put as it was suppose to do I added a little rtv as the manual said to both sides to hold in. The truck idles amazingly well just pours smoke out like a head gasket. Am I missing something I’ve seen this with bad pcv valves before. Any suggestions what to check? No af in the oil no excess pressure in the radiator. Could that rear intake gasket cause it? it smells like af for sure so it’s got coolant making its way to the exhaust some how

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is the smoke very white and vaporizes after exiting? Does it have a 'sweet' smell? If so it's definitely coolant. It could be the rebuilt head or the head gasket installed incorrectly. You'll need to disassemble, carefully remove the head without damaging the new gasket. Then inspect which cylinders are 'clean'. Either way, you're going back in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m going to pull the plugs look in each with the camera first but yea it’s def the smell of a/f however it seems to be lightening up as it idles. It’s been sitting for 7 months I did new injectors as well Im wondering if it’s coolant from the repair but I doubt it looks like I’ll be buying another head gasket and pulling it back off I foolishly didn’t inspect the new head make sure it was true it looks brand new so I just put it on like a rookie. New head bolts as well went on guess I can always run it a while see if it clears up can’t really hurt anything at this point if it’s not properly seated. Is it possible the intake gasket is causing the issue? And not the head gasket

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the 5.2 a wet or dry intake? I did t pay attention when I pulled it i believe it’s wet right?

·
Super Moderator
13,030 Posts
I'd guess something wrong with the sealing of the belly pan under the intake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I replaced the gasket and torqued it to spec. I’m going to start pulling it back apart just can’t seem to get a direct answer to if it’s a wet or dry intake I can’t imagine the it being a head gasket issue refurbed head new gasket new bolts went on straight but like I said the head gasket wasn’t clearly marked from felpro as which side went which way nor do they sell left and right gaskets it’s a single gasket usable on either side so I installed it so that felpro was readable. Like the site says on non specific gaskets.

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts
Fingers crossed for you, that the issue lies with the intake not being properly seated, so the new head does not have to come back off. If you go all the way back in, consider pulling the other head, and freshening up that side also. That way, you'll know both sides are up to date.

Don

·
Registered
2021 Durango GT Plus AWD
94 Posts
If you do wind up pulling the heads, be sure to put a straight edge across the surfaces of the heads, looking for any signs of warpage. Same with the tops of the block.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fingers crossed for you, that the issue lies with the intake not being properly seated, so the new head does not have to come back off. If you go all the way back in, consider pulling the other head, and freshening up that side also. That way, you'll know both sides are up to date.

Don

I had a strong feeling it’s the intake as well. Such a shame the thing idles beautifully. I’ll know in a few hours.I don’t know why but I can’t find a coolant route on AllData everything keeps referring me to coolant house routing not what I’m looking for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I had the driver side head off I checked the block it was fine. I had no issues prior to pulling the head only that the exhaust bolts all snapped off when trying to replace the gasket for a leak the passenger side head wasn’t touched so I’m sure it’s fine. I just pulled everything off the front of the motor starting on the intake now hopefully I find the issue there I’d like to see the valley full of coolant so I don’t have to pull the head back off. But I’ll know more in a few hours

1 - 10 of 10 Posts