Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I have a 2004 Durango with the 5.7 Hemi. Today, I started getting a new problem. Intermittently, several dash lights will all light up at once, while all the gauges stop working, and the radio and blower motor turn off. When the dash is lit up, neither blinker will work, but the brake lights will be permanently on. And then everything will go back to normal. Sometimes it’ll switch back and forth rather quickly, sometimes it’ll stay all lit up for a while, sometimes it’ll run normal for a while. While running, battery voltage reads 14.5V on a multimeter, so the alternator seems to be running fine.
Any ideas on what could be wrong or what tests I should be conducting next to help diagnose would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Hi BO:
Welcome to DDN. How many miles on your '04? Have you had the battery checked lately? If not, get it properly load tested to rule out any issues there. if it comes back less than 100%, time for new one?
Have you seen any signs of water infiltration? Have you updated your windshield cowl? If not, that could be part, or all of the issue. One way to test this., is to open the hood, and lightly apply water to the windshield with a hose. I predict you will be shocked at the amount of water running down on top of the engine, and other places it should not.

Don

·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
As Don pointed out, water infiltration is a big issue on the early Gen-IIs..

Pull off the driver's side kick panel and see if there is evidence of water back there. Common for the wiring etc to be all corroded because of water getting into it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like you hit it on the head. I have water all over the connections on the left kick panel. I just bought the car this summer, and I don’t believe its had the cowl update. Is there any way to tell for sure?

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Bunny:
Check out my post below from when I did my cowl upgrade.
There are pics of old and new.

If you have a sunroof, the drains for it may be clogged, and be the issue. If not, at least you can rule them out.

Don

Reactions: BunnyOrange
1 - 5 of 5 Posts