Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the other day my check engine light came on showed P0456. I took it to the dealership and they replaced the evap line to the purge valve. Drove it home afterwards than the next morning started my car and check engine light came back on. Now I have p0456 andp0440. Do you think the dealership did something wrong that they
should be fixing it or should I
take it somewhere else.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If it is not covered under warranty, I would take it to a reputable shop, not a Dealership. JMO

·
Registered
2013 Durango Crew-Hemi-Leather Seats-Bought New-Garage Kept, Dealer Maintained
15 Posts
The P0456 is “Small Leak in Evaporative System”. It would be amazing if they got that fixed on the first try. Mine was in the shop 4-5 times from Oct to Dec last year for the same thing. Many components in that system and any one of them can cause the code. Only way to find the defective component (unless it’s obviously cracked) is to replace them. It pays dividends to keep taking it to the same folks because they know what’s been done. Patience helps with this issue.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I'd go back and tell them they didn't fix it.
Typically its a hose or fuel cap...a bit early for the hose to have failed...so I'd lean to the capless fuel fill not sealing properly or there is a valve leaking.
Dealer should be able to track it down. They at least owe you a refund.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
12 month/12,000 mile warr on that repair, take it back for a free repair.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Durango Citadel; 5.7-Liter V8, Technology Group, Trailer Tow Group IV
25 Posts
I had that a couple years ago and it was a PITA to get fixed...I think I went back 4 times. They finally replaced the entire pipe from tank to fill cap, plus the fill cap. It was under warranty at the time so I went to the dealer. No that I am out of warranty, I take it to a local shop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same on my 2014 DD. My local dealer is a moron, so I didn't bother with them. My local mechanic fixed it on the first shot; wasn't a cheap fix though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
the other day my check engine light came on showed P0456. I took it to the dealership and they replaced the evap line to the purge valve. Drove it home afterwards than the next morning started my car and check engine light came back on. Now I have p0456 andp0440. Do you think the dealership did something wrong that they
should be fixing it or should I
take it somewhere else.
I had a similar problem. First thing I did was replace the capless cover housing. The spring had come loose and it wasn't closing or opening correctly. $40 for part and shipping and that fixed my problem. Taking the housing out wasn't easy, but putting it back in took no time.

·
Registered
1999 Durango SLT 4x4
16 Posts
Hi,
You need to do your homework on this since it's an emissions related failure. Emissions often falls outside the manufacturer's warranty and can be fully covered for up to ten years and 100,000 miles by federal mandate if you are the original owner.
I agree with others here about taking it back to the dealer and, additionally, documenting everything done.
Ask them about the emissions warranty as I've mentioned and get ALL answers and work performed in WRITING.
Good luck.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You pay dealership fees and you expect quality work.

Take it back man speak with your service advisor.

Another dealership will not honor another dealership work.

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT, Eibach Coils, 22" Hellcat Reps, K&N Cai, Corsa Exhaust
542 Posts
Your dealership should have smoked the system to find the leak and fix it properly. Then smoke it again to make sure it was fixed. This is the proper way to fix an evap leak. You don't just replace parts until the light goes off,, unless you just want to waste hundreds. This happened to my 14.

·
Registered
132 Posts
^^^I was going to post the same exact thing. The dealer is NOT the place to take a problem where the solution hides in sound troubleshooting, they are trained at "remove and replace until fixed"

This guy is exactly who you want to find; educated, logical, and trained mechanic that understand modern systems and how they work.

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT, Eibach Coils, 22" Hellcat Reps, K&N Cai, Corsa Exhaust
542 Posts
Yeah, It cost a little extra to do the smoke test, but it saves in the end.

·
Registered
2013 Durango Crew-Hemi-Leather Seats-Bought New-Garage Kept, Dealer Maintained
15 Posts
^^^I was going to post the same exact thing. The dealer is NOT the place to take a problem where the solution hides in sound troubleshooting, they are trained at "remove and replace until fixed"

This guy is exactly who you want to find; educated, logical, and trained mechanic that understand modern systems and how they work.

I couldn’t agree more. The nearly insurmountable problem is finding this guy. I speak from experience and know the process of finding him can be very expensive. Then, he goes out of business. :-/

·
Registered
1999 Durango SLT 4x4
16 Posts
I too agree that the dealer should use a smoke machine to troubleshoot this problem. I would actually be surprised if ANY shop today didn't. You should ask them about this "basic" technique.
But, keep in mind the system doesn't use smoke to detect the fault but sensitive pressure sensors instead. It's not uncommon for those sensors to fail and cause false reporting that a smoke machine won't help with because there actually is no leak.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts