Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I have a frustrating problem I'm hoping someone can help me with. My knowledge of vehicle repair is very limited, however. I have a 2003 Durango SLT with a 4.7. It has 199k miles on it. The Durango has been great to me for the last 9 years but it now has a troubling issue no one seems to be able to resolve.

About 3 months ago the vehicle died while I was on the road. I was able to start it again and it died two more times on the way home. It gave error code p0344 for the cam sensor. I limped it to Dodge and they replaced the cam and crank sensors. At about this time I also replaced the front blower motor and blower motor resistor myself. The vehicle ran fine for about 2 months and then died again, giving the same code. I took it back to Dodge and they said the sensors were fine and that they believed the PCM was going out. They quoted me $1,100 to replace it. A few days later it died again and would not start anymore (it cranks, but wouldn't turn over. Not wanting to pay that much I ordered a refurbished one from carcomputerexchange.com. The replacement arrived and the engine fired right up without any problems. One week later it died again and would not start at all (it would still crank.) At this point multiple error codes would show and after resetting the codes, other ones would show. The same code never showed twice.

I towed it to another shop and after a week of diagnoses they determined the fuel pump had gone out. Fine. I dropped another $300 for a new pump. It started right up. Two days later it died again. It did start a few moments later and I was able to get it back to the shop. It now gives the p0344 error code again. It's not giving any other codes. Since I just replaced the crank and cam sensors, and Dodge confirmed they were fine so I know this can't be the problem. My shop guys are scratching their heads and they can't figure out what could be wrong.

Does anyone have any insight as to what the problem could be?? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Justin

·
Super Moderator
12,869 Posts
sounds like a corroded pin or a pinched wire.. I don't have my powertrain diag book here on the road with me so I can't research further..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tom,

Thanks for responding. The pins look fine. It was one of the first things I checked, to make sure none of them bent or were damaged when I replaced the PCM. Where would I be looking for a pinched wire at?

Justin

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
CHECK OUT YOUR WIRING HARNESS FROM NEAR THE PS PRESSURE SWITCH
Those switches leak into the harness contaminating everything and causing a multitude of false codes and issues
if you find an issue with fluid i harness you will need to open it up and clean out every plug along the way back to pcm
STEVE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts