Dodge Durango Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Durango R/T 5.7 - Black w/blackout package
357 Posts
So quick update found coolant on top of the cylinder 2 and 6 failed leak test and compression test. So what are the thoughs tuck has only 240 miles
Oh man, was hoping for a better less intrusive outcome here for you. This sucks.

No reason why Stellantis or your dealer should do anything less than drop in a new crate engine. You, my friend, are the unfortunate recipient of an engine with either one or both head gaskets defective from the factory. That is rare.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wow, all these quality issues. I've been dealing with some on our DDSRT that I haven't posted about since the dealer has been working with me. I did call SRT as well to make them aware. It's almost like they don't care anymore...

Good luck

·
Registered
357 Posts
Wow, all these quality issues. I've been dealing with some on our DDSRT that I haven't posted about since the dealer has been working with me. I did call SRT as well to make them aware. It's almost like they don't care anymore...

Good luck
To me it's a simple fact of the matter..........they just don't make things like they used to any more. I have heavy opinions about why I think the quality of American products are going straight in the shitter, but I'll keep those rants to myself.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts

Good luck
It is the same with many manufacturers. VW has been installing crappy electric steering systems that WILL fail for the past 8 or 9 years and seemingly nothing has been done by VW to fix the design.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Honestly for a DDHC I wouldn’t even settle for a new long block, especially one installed by the stellar techs at most Dodge service departments. This is one of the very rare times I’d harness my inner Karen and request a replacement truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
200 miles on a car and the engine is screwed? What is the problem, head gasket, block deck, head plane?
An engine taken apart by a dealer is not to be trusted because will they just replace the head gasket (1 side I guarantee it because mpar will probably force them to do the least cost route) or will they send the block and heads out for service (doubt it) The proper way to fix it is to have an engine builder company check all planes and correct as needed BUT both sides (heads) need to be done. If you take .010 off the right head you better take it off the left head as well. Sorry but if I were you I would be all over SRT, Dodge, Factory Rep, Dealer for a replacement vehicle or complete long block and if needed, lemon law to help force a replacement vehicle at that point.

I assume (could be wrong) you are making payments on this rig and now because Dodge screwed up, you will be without your vehicle (if they attempt a repair) for an (my) estimated 2 months while driving whatever (if) loaner they give you. Are parts available from mopar? heads, gaskets, etc?

I feel sick for you man! Good luck with whatever you do as I hope it works out 100 percent! I am glad @DodgeCares is offering assistance, please use them~!
So quick update. Initial today I was told there was a wire stuck between the supercharger which caused the engine to run rich and caused it to overhead..................... I asked him to recheck his story. Later in the day I was informed that both head are being replaced all parts have been ordered and they fond loose head bolts which may have caused the coolant ingress. I reached out to @DodgeCares told me to work with the case which I had open prior to contacting them since this is more advanced but I have yet to hear anything from corporate........... so needless to say I love this SUV and am fortunate at this time and point in my life where I can splurge on such a purchase (while cutting on many other activities) but the brand it showing its true colors so no I don't want to keep this abusive relationship I see the signs. The writing is on the wall.

·
Registered
2020 DDSRT Octane Red, 2020 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 2021 HD FLHXS
85 Posts
So quick update. Initial today I was told there was a wire stuck between the supercharger which caused the engine to run rich and caused it to overhead..................... I asked him to recheck his story. Later in the day I was informed that both head are being replaced all parts have been ordered and they fond loose head bolts which may have caused the coolant ingress. I reached out to @DodgeCares told me to work with the case which I had open prior to contacting them since this is more advanced but I have yet to hear anything from corporate........... so needless to say I love this SUV and am fortunate at this time and point in my life where I can splurge on such a purchase (while cutting on many other activities) but the brand it showing its true colors so no I don't want to keep this abusive relationship I see the signs. The writing is on the wall.
Wire stuck between the supercharger and what?

A motor that is running rich is going to be running cooler. The catalytic converters may run hotter but not the motor. An air pocket in the coolant system will cause major overheating if not corrected fast enough.

Loose head bolts from it overheating and warping the heads. Which in turn allowed the coolant ingress.

How much coolant made into the oil pan?

As other have said, you should be looking at least for a new crate motor fresh off the truck or railcar. Not a head swap. I'd be leery of it every time that I'd drive it.

Sounds like the service dept. went to FCU (F*c*ing Clown University 🤡) and the manager is the clown car driver, if they've changed their story within a day.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The dealer I bought my SRT8 Challenger from installed 2 new tires for me under warranty and guess what? On the way home the steering wheel was bouncing out of my hands.
The freaking dealer used a bubble balancer and hammer on weights (on inside of rim). What an ass that dealer was but this is what Mopar wants for their customers and it is sickening.
The dealer had to send it out to sears to get it balanced when I took it back. And this dealer is not small and in fact is one of the largest dealers in North Jersey.

However, over the years I have become friendly with numerous Mopar dealer GMs and feel comfortable they will help if I have service stupidity issues.
Just out of curiousity which dealership did you guys deal with/are dealing with?

My selling dealer has not impressed me with their service so far and I just can't seem to get away from them.
I took my SRT to Nielsen in East Hanover and never had issues with their service. I believe they have an SRT trained tech. My selling dealer? The guy can't figure out how the radio system works. I just had a rear tire replaced and guess what? Driving home any time I went above 75 the steering wheel shook like a blender...smh
I would never trust them with ANY engine issues.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Holy shit, sounds like they're playing spin-the-wheel with excuses and hoping one sticks. So sorry that you're in this situation, but it might be time to seek out a good attorney.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Just out of curiousity which dealership did you guys deal with/are dealing with?

My selling dealer has not impressed me with their service so far and I just can't seem to get away from them.
I took my SRT to Nielsen in East Hanover and never had issues with their service. I believe they have an SRT trained tech. My selling dealer? The guy can't figure out how the radio system works. I just had a rear tire replaced and guess what? Driving home any time I went above 75 the steering wheel shook like a blender...smh
I would never trust them with ANY engine issues.
The dealer I bought my Challenger from and had that mess of a time with was Seaview Auto in Ocean TWP.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Damn dude, this sucks. Very unfortunate. I'll have to agree with DDSRT on this one. New truck, completely. Reason being if they yank out the engine and install a new one, your poor truck has a much better chance of mondo issues moving forward. No normal dealer has the wherewithal to perform that invasive of repairs/replacement that I know of. Speed shops do, but Stellantis or your dealer will never sub out the process.

I'm pulling for you on this one and hoping for the best outcome possible.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The dealer I bought my Challenger from and had that mess of a time with was Seaview Auto in Ocean TWP.
Mine is Johnson Dodge in Budd Lake.
Great Sales experience and the Service Write has really done her best but the tech?
Leaving a LOT to be desired.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Mine is Johnson Dodge in Budd Lake.
Great Sales experience and the Service Write has really done her best but the tech?
Leaving a LOT to be desired.
I'm sure some of the tech's on here will chime in and confirm or dispel. I used to run around with the Buick Grand National and GS crowd for about 20 years back in the day. One of the guys was an ASE Certified Tech at a dealership. He used to cry the blues all the time about how the dealerships limited the techs by way of mandating how long a repair should take, or how long they could spend on them at each instance. He eventually quit and began freelancing on his own because he couldn't deal with the fact that he couldn't do his job correctly. This may be an epidemic over the past several years. I haven't even spoken to this guy in probably 10 years too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey

That is 200 miles driven not 200mph. So picked up the hellcat on Thursday, by Sunday it was towed in. DDHC overheated 10 min into the drive. The dealer is looking at it now and did confirm the overheating issue, states its an internal engine leak possibly a head gasket. This engine has been around for a while so my question is with only 200 miles is this something to be concerned with, does it signal something problematic in the future? If I am alreadys seeing problems should i try to give it back to the dealer? Any feedback is apprechiated

Thanks,
Adrian
I don't know but I saw one at the dealership and I was drooling. It's soo hot!!! Maybe that's why it overheated. To hot for it's own good!!! 🔥😛

·
Registered
2018 Durango R/T
18 Posts
CORRECTION/ADDITION TO MY PREVIOUS POST: Most would agree that most engines will reach temps of 220-230 on really hot days with heavy load or sitting in traffic with the stock 203 degree thermostat. This wouldn't be abnormal at all. The fan will kick on and try to cool it down, or it will cool back down somewhat when you either get moving forward again at a decent speed to get airflow through the radiator or when the heavy load it taken off, such as pulling something uphill for a distance when temps outside are on the higher side.

This doesn't constitute overheating. Overheating is warping of parts and spewing coolant everywhere because the system is no longer able to handle the temperatures it is being asked to compensate for.

I put a 180 degree t-stat in mine and love watching the temps hang out below 185 unless I'm stopped. But even then, if my A/C is on, the temps always stay down in the 180-185 range, even when it is above 85 degrees outside temperature.
If you live in an area where temperatures are consistently above average then installing a 180 thermostat would be ideal.
For those who live in colder climates with an over heating issue would only try to mask the issue by installing a 180 thermostat.
If you need to install a 180 thermostat you either live in extreme heat or drive that dam vechicle balls out stop light to stop light.

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you live in an area where temperatures are consistently above average then installing a 180 thermostat would be ideal.
For those who live in colder climates with an over heating issue would only try to mask the issue by installing a 180 thermostat.
If you need to install a 180 thermostat you either live in extreme heat or drive that dam vechicle balls out stop light to stop light.
If it's gonna overheat, it's gonna do it no matter what thermostat you have in it. The rating on the stat only affects when it opens. I don't live in an extreme heat environment NOR drive balls out wherever I go.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Any update on your truck OP?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
In a waiting game, the truck is waiting on parts, im waiting on awsers, dodge finally reached out to me was a very interesting conversation, hoping right is done and we are all past this because definetly didnt want this Dodge expeirence nor was aware its part of the purchase. Lets see. Ill let you know what happens.

·
Registered
2018 Durango SRT Bruiser Gray
248 Posts
In a waiting game, the truck is waiting on parts, im waiting on awsers, dodge finally reached out to me was a very interesting conversation, hoping right is done and we are all past this because definetly didnt want this Dodge expeirence nor was aware its part of the purchase. Lets see. Ill let you know what happens.
Unless the SRT folks intervene, the dealer will follow strict Dodge guidance, and only replace the minimum specific parts paid by Dodge. The cam de-laminated on my 2012 Hemi DD, with 3k left on the 100k drivetrain warranty. They replaced the cam, some of the lifters, all of the pushrods, some gaskets, and not much else. They didn't even change the oil, saying the filter would clean it up. I traded it to them 40k later with no issues, so they apparently did it right enough.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts