Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

That is 200 miles driven not 200mph. So picked up the hellcat on Thursday, by Sunday it was towed in. DDHC overheated 10 min into the drive. The dealer is looking at it now and did confirm the overheating issue, states its an internal engine leak possibly a head gasket. This engine has been around for a while so my question is with only 200 miles is this something to be concerned with, does it signal something problematic in the future? If I am alreadys seeing problems should i try to give it back to the dealer? Any feedback is apprechiated

Thanks,
Adrian

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Adrian:
Welcome to DDN, and congrats on the DDHC. Hopefully, your dealer has more experience with HC engines than "watching youtube videos." Sadly, some dealerships service departments are nothing more than parts changers. Performance models can be an even bigger challenge, if they don't see them very often.
Lately, there has been a flurry of folks with new Dodge vehicles having fairly serious issues within the first couple thousand miles or less.

Don

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ahem, Dodge, I thought these motors were run for 42 minutes at the engine plant prior to shipping?

Anyway, could be as simple as a failed T-stat or temperature sensor...they need to check simple things FIRST, do not always assume the worst...fingers crossed.
A real overheat can do damage to the heads or even the block.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Ahem, Dodge, I thought these motors were run for 42 minutes at the engine plant prior to shipping?

Anyway, could be as simple as a failed T-stat or temperature sensor...they need to check simple things FIRST, do not always assume the worst...fingers crossed.
A real overheat can do damage to the heads or even the block.

You can just imagine what type of employee is testing these engines?
Yesterday the employee was installing exhaust (usually crooked) and today they are testing engines.
Dodge has nothing on Chevy when it comes to maintaining their high performance vehicles. GM does a good job on that and so does Ford.

Back in the day there used to be an SRT tech training program and dealers who got SRT vehicles were supposed to have an SRT trained tech.
Even then it was iffy but today, Forget it. If your dealer is a stand up dealer and since your truck is proabaly not even registered to you try and get your money back and move on. If you can't I pray for a positive outcome.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
The dealer I bought my SRT8 Challenger from installed 2 new tires for me under warranty and guess what? On the way home the steering wheel was bouncing out of my hands.
The freaking dealer used a bubble balancer and hammer on weights (on inside of rim). What an ass that dealer was but this is what Mopar wants for their customers and it is sickening.
The dealer had to send it out to sears to get it balanced when I took it back. And this dealer is not small and in fact is one of the largest dealers in North Jersey.

However, over the years I have become friendly with numerous Mopar dealer GMs and feel comfortable they will help if I have service stupidity issues.

·
Registered
2013 Durango R/T 5.7 - Black w/blackout package
357 Posts
Hey

That is 200 miles driven not 200mph. So picked up the hellcat on Thursday, by Sunday it was towed in. DDHC overheated 10 min into the drive. The dealer is looking at it now and did confirm the overheating issue, states its an internal engine leak possibly a head gasket. This engine has been around for a while so my question is with only 200 miles is this something to be concerned with, does it signal something problematic in the future? If I am alreadys seeing problems should i try to give it back to the dealer? Any feedback is apprechiated

Thanks,
Adrian
How do you know it "overheated?" Did you see the temp gauge go up severely high.....did it spew coolant and blow steam everywhere......did you smell coolant?

Vehicles have been known to leave the factory with air in the sealed coolant system. The temp gauge will go all wacky but the engine will not technically overheat.

Just wanting to get more facts before responding further. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
How do you know it "overheated?" Did you see the temp gauge go up to 200.....did it spew coolant and blow steam everywhere......did you smell coolant?

Vehicles have been known to leave the factory with air in the sealed coolant system. The temp gauge will go all wacky but the engine will not technically overheat.

great questions.

·
Registered
131 Posts
How do you know it "overheated?" Did you see the temp gauge go up to 200.....did it spew coolant and blow steam everywhere......did you smell coolant?

Would 200 be a problem on the hemi? I have an 2020 R/T and down south I normally see 220 degrees on the info cluster but my temp gauge shows below half way. 2 weeks ago up in the mountains driving on a 95 degrees day the temp got up to 240 while making the climb but quickly went back to 220 on the downhill. I am not sure where overheating would be these days on these motors if the temp gauge never gets above half way :) but great questions

·
Registered
301 Posts
Would 200 be a problem on the hemi? I have an 2020 R/T and down south I normally see 220 degrees on the info cluster but my temp gauge shows below half way. 2 weeks ago up in the mountains driving on a 95 degrees day the temp got up to 240 while making the climb but quickly went back to 220 on the downhill. I am not sure where overheating would be these days on these motors if the temp gauge never gets above half way :) but great questions
200 miles. Not 200 degrees.

·
Registered
86 Posts

200 miles...

Our new 21. DDSRT seems to be wacky on the temp gauge. More so than our 18 which was stable no matter what. Our first long drive in the 21 was mostly stop and go for the first hour and half. The highest I saw was 225 and the temp gauge was over half a few times.

That I believe is not over heating although I did smell some coolant. This was also when it had less than 100 miles so I just figured it was burning off the newness???

I've been watching it closely. It does go over half on the temp gauge occasionally when idling.

Is there air trapped? The dealer just said this is normal... Never had this on the 18

·
Registered
357 Posts
CORRECTION/ADDITION TO MY PREVIOUS POST: Most would agree that most engines will reach temps of 220-230 on really hot days with heavy load or sitting in traffic with the stock 203 degree thermostat. This wouldn't be abnormal at all. The fan will kick on and try to cool it down, or it will cool back down somewhat when you either get moving forward again at a decent speed to get airflow through the radiator or when the heavy load it taken off, such as pulling something uphill for a distance when temps outside are on the higher side.

This doesn't constitute overheating. Overheating is warping of parts and spewing coolant everywhere because the system is no longer able to handle the temperatures it is being asked to compensate for.

I put a 180 degree t-stat in mine and love watching the temps hang out below 185 unless I'm stopped. But even then, if my A/C is on, the temps always stay down in the 180-185 range, even when it is above 85 degrees outside temperature.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got a dash warning, the temp reached over 250 only drove for about 10 min. Took a pic of the SRT gauge. The dealer did confirm its truly overheating and its not a blip. They are still looking for the cause. Its a busy large dealership in NJ.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I got a dash warning, the temp reached over 250 only drove for about 10 min. Took a pic of the SRT gauge. The dealer did confirm its truly overheating and its not a blip. They are still looking for the cause. Its a busy large dealership in NJ.
I'm still going to hope that it wasn't truly overheating and it's just the sensor or air in the system making it all wacky. Fingers crossed for you!

Reactions: frictioncircle

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey

Thanks,
Adrian
Hi Adrianpl13,
We apologize for any dissatisfaction. Please follow up with us via PM to provide additional details regarding your concerns so we may determine how to best assist you.

Rob
Dodge Cares

Reactions: DurangoCitadel

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
735 Posts
Send me the old long block and I can build it for my DD. :)

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT 392
1,055 Posts
The dealer I bought my SRT8 Challenger from installed 2 new tires for me under warranty and guess what? On the way home the steering wheel was bouncing out of my hands.
The freaking dealer used a bubble balancer and hammer on weights (on inside of rim). What an ass that dealer was but this is what Mopar wants for their customers and it is sickening.
The dealer had to send it out to sears to get it balanced when I took it back. And this dealer is not small and in fact is one of the largest dealers in North Jersey.

However, over the years I have become friendly with numerous Mopar dealer GMs and feel comfortable they will help if I have service stupidity issues.
I find that hard to believe.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
200 miles on a car and the engine is screwed? What is the problem, head gasket, block deck, head plane?
An engine taken apart by a dealer is not to be trusted because will they just replace the head gasket (1 side I guarantee it because mpar will probably force them to do the least cost route) or will they send the block and heads out for service (doubt it) The proper way to fix it is to have an engine builder company check all planes and correct as needed BUT both sides (heads) need to be done. If you take .010 off the right head you better take it off the left head as well. Sorry but if I were you I would be all over SRT, Dodge, Factory Rep, Dealer for a replacement vehicle or complete long block and if needed, lemon law to help force a replacement vehicle at that point.

I assume (could be wrong) you are making payments on this rig and now because Dodge screwed up, you will be without your vehicle (if they attempt a repair) for an (my) estimated 2 months while driving whatever (if) loaner they give you. Are parts available from mopar? heads, gaskets, etc?

I feel sick for you man! Good luck with whatever you do as I hope it works out 100 percent! I am glad @DodgeCares is offering assistance, please use them~!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts