Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my Medium setting for Heated Seats is now working after a module replacement. I posted about this in a thread a couple weeks ago but with cool weather around the corner I thought I would start a new thread. I know a lot of us posted about this issue last winter. now when I set the Heated Seats button directly to Medium setting the seat heats up as it should.

like so many others, my Medium setting has not worked since I picked the '21 TNG up from the dealer last December. in my case, I had the local CDJR dealership that I like look at the issue TWICE when I had the Durango in for other reasons. both times the tech told me Medium setting was working within specs. 2nd time I had the tech come out and sit in the front passenger seat to try it with me. but at that time it was already April in Myrtle Beach and the D had been sitting in the sun for a couple hours and the seats were quite warm to start with. the tech and I had a good conversation and left it as I would bring the D back when the weather got cold.

HOWEVER, I was also having a 2nd row seat recovered and when I was setting up that appointment a few weeks later I was told they were 'waiting on my heated seats module to come in'

this means that even though the tech told me the module was working correctly, he still put in for a new module. I can think of only two reasons for that to go down that way. 1. the tech was being super proactive and decided to replace the module anyway or 2. Dodge/Chrysler/Stellantis has quietly acknowledged there was an issue with some/all '21 heated seats module. personally, I suspect the latter reason. but either way a module replacement has fixed my issue. here is a picture of my invoice. I hope this helps some of you.

Font Parallel Paper Writing Paper product

·
Registered
590 Posts
It would be great if we had a way to hook up a meter when its on medium to show no voltage is going to the heated seat. What the dealer does is switch through the settings and you get residual heating from low or high and they say, "it operates as designed" . I will dig around on the connectors to see what can be measured, In the work order it says, "The module says outputting for heated seat but nothing coming out". This could have been chip shortage related and they put something in so that we get partial operation. Looked up the part number and it lists replaces other models so that is a good sign that something was updated in the newer module.

Product Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I personally think the D version has the medium heat setting active while the AA/AB/AC do not as this module can be installed in any Durango with heated seats 2019 and up.
The factory service manual for 2021 DOES NOT even show 3 heat settings, only 2 and nothing about the new 10.1" system.
Dodge is terrible with this stuff so how can a dealer properly repair things? (not that they would anyway)

Also, is it one per seat as it shows it to be?

·
Registered
2021 Durango GT Plus AWD
223 Posts
My '21 OM mentions 3 heat seat levels on page 37. Still haven't had a chance to get mine in (really been no other issues), especially since wife has been pretty sick since earlier this year. She hasn't been driving because of her health, but our son has been driving her in it several times a week to/from various medical appointments, so really don't have time to tie it up for a minor issue. It also mentions that IF you have the rear heated seats option, it only has a High and Lo setting, and nothing specific to 8.4" or 10.1" U/C 4 or 5 versions.

Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Software

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would be great if we had a way to hook up a meter when its on medium to show no voltage is going to the heated seat. What the dealer does is switch through the settings and you get residual heating from low or high and they say, "it operates as designed" . I will dig around on the connectors to see what can be measured, In the work order it says, "The module says outputting for heated seat but nothing coming out". This could have been chip shortage related and they put something in so that we get partial operation. Looked up the part number and it lists replaces other models so that is a good sign that something was updated in the newer module.

View attachment 122796
@cambo that is my thinking also. my invoice does not say anything about reprogramming or flashing or an update. only part replacement. the part replacement theory also seems to go along with the techs thinking the original module is working.

I was very specific on my 2nd visit that the tech was to test Medium setting first and not go Hi-Med-Lo. when I had the tech sit in the D with me after the 2nd visit he told me that had hooked up to the D and the module was outputing on Medium.

somewhere in all that, it looks like the older modules just did not/could not output for the Medium setting. hopefully it really is as simple as getting the dealer to install the updated module.

Reactions: Ollie Crow

·
Registered
2021 R/T Destroyer Grey
71 Posts
my Medium setting for Heated Seats is now working after a module replacement. I posted about this in a thread a couple weeks ago but with cool weather around the corner I thought I would start a new thread. I know a lot of us posted about this issue last winter. now when I set the Heated Seats button directly to Medium setting the seat heats up as it should.

like so many others, my Medium setting has not worked since I picked the '21 TNG up from the dealer last December. in my case, I had the local CDJR dealership that I like look at the issue TWICE when I had the Durango in for other reasons. both times the tech told me Medium setting was working within specs. 2nd time I had the tech come out and sit in the front passenger seat to try it with me. but at that time it was already April in Myrtle Beach and the D had been sitting in the sun for a couple hours and the seats were quite warm to start with. the tech and I had a good conversation and left it as I would bring the D back when the weather got cold.

HOWEVER, I was also having a 2nd row seat recovered and when I was setting up that appointment a few weeks later I was told they were 'waiting on my heated seats module to come in'

this means that even though the tech told me the module was working correctly, he still put in for a new module. I can think of only two reasons for that to go down that way. 1. the tech was being super proactive and decided to replace the module anyway or 2. Dodge/Chrysler/Stellantis has quietly acknowledged there was an issue with some/all '21 heated seats module. personally, I suspect the latter reason. but either way a module replacement has fixed my issue. here is a picture of my invoice. I hope this helps some of you.

View attachment 122771
I know this thread is about the heated seats not working, but why were you having 2nd row seat recovered?

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know this thread is about the heated seats not working, but why were you having 2nd row seat recovered?
@jd092486 I had the 2nd row driver side recovered by the dealer. the leather had an odd defect from the factory. looked like little leather 'hairs' coming out of the seat perforations. I thought I had a picture on my phone but I must have deleted it after getting if fixed.

both the seat bottom and the seat back had the issue. the seat bottom had the problem much worse, only a little on the seat back. I have the Vitra Gray and it seriously looked like little gray leather hairs sticking up out of the perforations. I can only assume there was an issue in the perforation process. tech at the dealership ok'd the warranty replacement right away when he saw it.

I'm still going to have to take the D to a local custom shop and have them re-do the seat cover. dealer techs probably don't do this very often and the cover is not as tight in areas as the others. the custom shop looked at it and said the 'hog rings' are not in the correct positions and they aren't pulling on the leather correctly. they quoted me $185 to take the cover off and fix it. I'm ok paying the money, just need the time when I won't need the D for a whole day.

Reactions: Ollie Crow

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I have a few of those and it is normal on every dodge /jeep vehicle that has leather and performations.
When I say normal, one here one there but not like the pic above.
I push them back into the hole never to be seen again but like I said, < 5 in my Durango and <2 in my wife's JGC

·
Registered
2021 R/T Destroyer Grey
71 Posts
I showed the service guy when I took it in for service and he said that they couldn't do anything about it. He said a vacuum that was to strong was probably used when cleaning the car. BS! When it goes in again I'll push to have it fixed.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I showed the service guy when I took it in for service and he said that they couldn't do anything about it. He said a vacuum that was to strong was probably used when cleaning the car. BS! When it goes in again I'll push to have it fixed.
Yeah yours is pretty substantial and I would request replacement seats as well.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@jd092486 Yep. looked exactly like that. in my case the seat bottom was REALLY noticeable and the seat back was only noticeable. none of my other seats had the issue and our 2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited that also has perforated heated/cooled seats did not have it at all.

as @Vice-White stated I would take it to the dealer and request replacement. do note though, you may end up having to have a custom shop make it look pretty afterwards.

·
Registered
2021 DD GT+
15 Posts

Thank you DDC for posting this. Does anyone know where the module is located? I assume behind the dash? I'd also like to see if I can somehow test the voltage to the seats to prove to my dealer that it is not "working as designed." This is all great info.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you DDC for posting this. Does anyone know where the module is located? I assume behind the dash? I'd also like to see if I can somehow test the voltage to the seats to prove to my dealer that it is not "working as designed." This is all great info.
@Shipwreck I think the module is in the bin under the driver's seat. I have not checked myself so I'm not 100% sure but that's why some Durangos have an 'extra' storage space there and some are full with electronics, depending on option levels.

·
Registered
2021 DD GT+
15 Posts
@Shipwreck I think the module is in the bin under the driver's seat. I have not checked myself so I'm not 100% sure but that's why some Durangos have an 'extra' storage space there and some are full with electronics, depending on option levels.
Thank you! I just looked under there and honestly have never been in that bin. Mine apears to be mostly empty. But there are tons of items mounted directly under both seats. Passenger seat especially - there are the motors but also a lot of boxes and wires. I will dig around and see if I can identify the heated seat module(s).

·
Registered
2021 DD GT+
15 Posts
Here is what the module looks like:
Circuit component Electronic component Computer component Font Rectangle

I found only one of those mounted directly under the front passenger seat. I guess one input from dash, one for power, and the remaining four are the outputs to the heating elements in each of the front and back, left and right seats? No idea which is which though.

·
Registered
2021 DD GT+
15 Posts
This is a Chrysler 200 forum thread... but seems it is the same module. Called the "Comfort Seat Steering Wheel" module (so I guess it controls the heated wheel as well). There are some pictures and a pdf in post #10 provides the wiring diagram:

Looks like C4 is power, C2 is output to a heater control on each front seat

1 - 20 of 50 Posts