Dodge Durango Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
This happened on the passenger side today, on my 2013 Durango. My elderly mother was sitting in the passenger seat. We were making a left turn onto a busy street when it popped out, hit her in the back of the head, scared her, and almost caused me to get into an accident. There needs to be a recall on this!

·
Registered
220 Posts
This happened on the passenger side today, on my 2013 Durango. My elderly mother was sitting in the passenger seat. We were making a left turn onto a busy street when it popped out, hit her in the back of the head, scared her, and almost caused me to get into an accident. There needs to be a recall on this!
Wow that’s bad. Glad she was ok. This is obviously a problem. They definitely should not be charging people to fix them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Until someone brings it to the NHTSA’s attention in some legal capacity they’ll most likely ignore it for as long as they can, then it “might” become a recall, and those who already repaired theirs may be compensated. Sucks all around

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happened to me last weekend. 2015 Citadel, car parked in driveway in evening and following morning the drivers
headrest was exploded. Maybe time for a class action lawsuit. Seems to be an ongoing problem with no recalls or action on behalf of FCA

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
From this link, it appears that NHTSA may be finally paying attention to these headrests. For those who have not filed a complaint, now is the time............

Don

Reactions: Spinzilla

·
Registered
1 Posts
The drivers side AHR on my 2014 Dodge Durango deployed yesterday while parked in the driveway. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA. The more complaints out there, the better. Now my passengers get to play Russian Roulette while we wait for the passenger AHR to deploy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My passenger headrest exploded while sitting in my driveway overnight. The dealer wants $750 to fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine has been fine since. The dealer just "re-set"...said it probably wasnt fully set from the factory. You can re-set it yourself if the dealer wants $$$ to look at it.
My 2014 Durango R/T just deployed the driver side headrest this morning! How did you reset the headrest?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Just for kicks I looked up the price of the headrest. List is $700. With on-line discounts you will pay around $500.
Looks easy to install, there is one electrical connector.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2013 exploded on Sunday just on the passenger side only. Hit my 14 year old in the head hard. Who is the best person to file a complaint with? Dealer?

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
See my post #45 above. File your complaint with NHTSA.

Don

·
Registered
711 Posts
Got this in the mail today. FCA is extending the warranty on the '14-15 Durango Active Head Restraint from 3 years / 36K miles to 10 years / unlimited mileage! Plus they are also offering to rein-burst repair costs for those who have had to pay for their repairs in the past out of they own pocket!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2014 Durango Limited head restraint exploded yesterday and I have an appointment to take it to the dealer Monday morning. It’s the driver side and the plastic is all broken apart inside the headrest. The metal bar is still latched so there is no relatching it. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
2014D:
If you can, take a copy of the letter folks have posted here. Your fix should be a no cost to you.
Don

·
Registered
10 Posts

I took my Durango to the dealer last week for my driver headrest in which the plastic mount broke causing the headrest to malfunction. They said they would be taking care of the repair. Today, 06/29/20, I also received the letter from FCA. They finally did right and acknowledged the issue. Good luck to all those who have paid for the repairs in being reimbursed.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
That is fantastic news! The one concern I see now are the number of '13 D owners here reporting this issue. They darn sure should get the same warranty coverage.
FCA has a pattern of this nonsense. Back when the fuel tanks in the Durangos were having issues, they cherry picked the ones they would fix. Eventually, the recall was expanded, but not as quickly as it should have been from day one!

Fuel regurgitating back out at you when you are filling the tank, is a dire event. It's a wonder that there weren't some fires along the way due to that train wreck.

Next, the HUGE alternator recall went the same way. There were some fires in that mess.

Don

41 - 59 of 59 Posts