Dodge Durango Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Unfortunately this is becoming a very common thing and appears FCA is not warranting it. See it a lot on the Grand Cherokee forms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also happened to me. Was driving with the wife when she got smacked upside her head for no apparent reason. She said the head restraint hit her hard. Long story short, My brackets/clips broke and the warranty co. doesn’t cover broken clips. After going back and forth with Chrysler FCA they took my story and forward it to some guy who was going to come by to investigate it, but they never showed up and I received an email stating sorry for your troubles, nothing we can do about it. The dealer gave me a “fair quote” for +$950 to fix this thing! Anyway I still have this broken eyesore that rattles when I hit bumps. SMH

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a new owner this is a concerning threat to come across, especially given that I just traded my car in for a Durango for the safety of my family... any updates to the situation?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Shit, this is the first time ive seen this thread

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
As a new owner this is a concerning threat to come across, especially given that I just traded my car in for a Durango for the safety of my family... any updates to the situation?
Mine has been fine ever since the dealer reset it, 2+ years ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened to my 2014 Dodge Durango driver head rest

Broken plastic hinge. You can see it.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Same thing happened to my 2014 Dodge Durango Headrest... Some plastic hinges or clips broke when I was driving in the city at about 20 mph..

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Sounds like after 5-6 years, the plastic mounts/ parts on these headrest are failing...

Reactions: Wreckless

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also happened to me. Was driving with the wife when she got smacked upside her head for no apparent reason. She said the head restraint hit her hard. Long story short, My brackets/clips broke and the warranty co. doesn’t cover broken clips. After going back and forth with Chrysler FCA they took my story and forward it to some guy who was going to come by to investigate it, but they never showed up and I received an email stating sorry for your troubles, nothing we can do about it. The dealer gave me a “fair quote” for +$950 to fix this thing! Anyway I still have this broken eyesore that rattles when I hit bumps. SMH
Yep, still driving around with this thing just sticking out in my passenger side. I refuse to pay the quoted price to have them fix this. Does anyone know the part # for the head restraint itself? Is it even possible to buy that part by itself? I've been digging around the interwebs and I think I can do it myself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, so this just happened to my wife and I the other day, and I thought it was a freak occurrence. We were just driving along and "pop," off it goes. Has anyone found a part number for replacement?

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
@ Unsub:
Hopefully not!

@ Bigman:
You may be the Guinea pig for others lol! Unless the part is excluded, it should be covered.

Don

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone else have their "active head restraint" deploy randomly? Was cruising on the highway and it popped for no apparent reason...Gave my wife a nice headache, and scared the crap out of us.

Yes! Mine did the same thing a few weeks ago. Just driving down the road and the passenger seat head rest popped open on my husband! He didn't even touch it! It scared us too!!! How much did it cost to get fixed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just happened to my wife on the 2015 Durango in a parking lot. Driver's side headrest popped and it looks like the little plastic clip is broken. She is on her way to the dealership now. I saw one dealership quoted $950 to fix. Any others get a different dealer quote? Can we buy a replacement headrest from MOPAR?

UPDATE: She just got one dealer quote for $1000 and is going to call a couple others this morning for comparisons. Is this the route people are taking?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yes! Mine did the same thing a few weeks ago. Just driving down the road and the passenger seat head rest popped open on my husband! He didn't even touch it! It scared us too!!! How much did it cost to get fixed?
There was nothing actually broken, they just "reset" it...but it was still under warranty anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My passenger headrest exploded over the weekend while the cat was in park. I am at the dealership in Gilbert AZ right now. Full extended warranty but they are telling me this “safety” feature is an accessory and therefor not covered. WTH? $500 to repair and 7-10 days. Leaving next week for 1500 mile toad trip to take our son to college. If there’s a lawsuit, please have the lawyers contact me. I’m in.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
LM:
What brand of warranty do you have? You would need to look at the "excluded items" list. If such an item is not listed, then it should be covered. What year/model, and how many miles on your Durango?

Don

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Durango RT with 98K miles. Drivers side headrest exploded while parked in the garage. Plastic clip that hold a metal pin broke.Its an easy fix. You have to get a new headrest. My dealer wants $717. I have seen dealers on the internet selling a new headrest for around $400. I have been told by three dealers that there are no replacement parts sold.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts