Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 Durango has gone through 3 sets of new headlight bulbs since January this year. After the 2nd set of bulbs I noticed the driver side headlight would have a delay on lighting up or not light up at all on approach or when the car is starting. It would act up intermittently until it blows. And tonight the passenger side bulb also blew. I already have a 4th spare ready to be put in but I'm going to wait until I take it to the dealership tomorrow and have them check my connections.

Here's a list of things for them to check with 41500 miles:
1. Headlights wirings
2. Water pump (I had a video in my other thread)
3. Recall for the parking
4. Required maintenance

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What bulbs are you using, and are they genuine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The first set that blew came with the car and the 2nd set I bought the Phillips White vision that cost me a good amount of money then that only lasted for 3 months. So, I bought some OSRAM bulbs which only lasted 2 months. Now I have both Morimotos and Phillips as spare but I don't want to install the Phillips until they diagnose the car.

It's just very odd for the driver side to be acting that way. I also forgot to mention that it will not light up on approach but as soon as I get the car started it turns on but with a couple seconds delay after the passenger side lights up.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Just for fun, run the Osram and philips through their respective authenticity checker. I bet they’re legitimate though. I’m thinking ballast issue. If you’re the adventurous type you can try swapping them and seeing if the problem follows.

You have to remove the bumper cover, grille, and headlights to get to them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just for fun, run the Osram and philips through their respective authenticity checker. I bet they’re legitimate though. I’m thinking ballast issue. If you’re the adventurous type you can try swapping them and seeing if the problem follows.

You have to remove the bumper cover, grille, and headlights to get to them.

I will try after I get it back from the shop.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I can only think of two things that could be chewing up headlights: too much power or contamination. Might be a dumb question but are you taking precautions to not touch the bulb itself during install? Is there any indication that the headlight assembly itself is not sealing properly (condensation, bugs, dirt, etc.)?

Have you checked the voltage going to each headlight when their on? If you have a meter and some sharp test leads this can be done pretty easily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts