Dodge Durango Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
1,854 Posts
Agreed, that is no longer an Alpine system since the Alpine is the speakers and maybe the amp. It's now an aftermarket speaker system. Alpine has nothing to do with the radio.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If it's the same Alpine system that was in my 2019 Ram Big Horn, then that system hits hard. Good for rap music. Very nice bass. I have zero experience with the HK system, however.
i also have a 19 big horn with the alpine, and our 21 durango has the HK. wife's last vehicle was an18 JGC with the alpine (not too much experience with that)

i will say that the difference between my ram's alpine and the durango's hk, to me, is not really a clarity or power issue. i feel like the ram's alpine has more of a muffled sound vs the durango's more echo-y sound. it's hard to explain, but my ram sounds like music in a sound-proof booth and the durango sounds like im in a room with no carpet. and they both are utilizing the ambient sound muffling

i can't say for sure one is better than the other, but i think the reflectiveness of the durango makes me like it a little less. kind of like listening to a tv with good (separate) speakers vs listening to it using headphones. the ram feels like im wearing headphones and the durango is like a good sound system in a room.

but the clarity issue is more profound in the durango between different mediums. i find that satellite radio is most definitely not as good as bluetooth via android auto, same for the ram (although the ram uses usb-c). i even did a couple experiments when i heard a song on sxm, then found the same song on youtube and played it through bluetooth afterward. steely dan has some great songs to compare

i also tend to have the base a little under 0 and treble a little on the high side. it might be more of my tinnitus issue, but i feel like i hear the lyrics clearer with more treble. but honestly, that all changes between songs and recording eras anyway.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
i also have a 19 big horn with the alpine, and our 21 durango has the HK. wife's last vehicle was an18 JGC with the alpine (not too much experience with that)

i will say that the difference between my ram's alpine and the durango's hk, to me, is not really a clarity or power issue. i feel like the ram's alpine has more of a muffled sound vs the durango's more echo-y sound. it's hard to explain, but my ram sounds like music in a sound-proof booth and the durango sounds like im in a room with no carpet. and they both are utilizing the ambient sound muffling

i can't say for sure one is better than the other, but i think the reflectiveness of the durango makes me like it a little less. kind of like listening to a tv with good (separate) speakers vs listening to it using headphones. the ram feels like im wearing headphones and the durango is like a good sound system in a room.

but the clarity issue is more profound in the durango between different mediums. i find that satellite radio is most definitely not as good as bluetooth via android auto, same for the ram (although the ram uses usb-c). i even did a couple experiments when i heard a song on sxm, then found the same song on youtube and played it through bluetooth afterward. steely dan has some great songs to compare

i also tend to have the base a little under 0 and treble a little on the high side. it might be more of my tinnitus issue, but i feel like i hear the lyrics clearer with more treble. but honestly, that all changes between songs and recording eras anyway.
oaklandopen, try something on your HK. set the Midrange to +5 and the Treble to +2. leave the Bass where you currently have it although I suggest -2 or -3 is best for this mix.

try these settings across different mediums and songs and see if this sounds better to you and then adjust from there.

I've heard a lot of comments of the HK being too strong in the Treble range. that may be some of the reflectiveness you are hearing.

the +5 on Midrange really seems to pull the sound together on the HK. even +4 doesn't seem to make nearly the difference that +5 in Midrange makes. this may change later when/if Stellantis releases updates that change the EQ. but for now this seems to be the secret sauce that smooths out and fills in the sound.

·
Registered
205 Posts
oaklandopen, try something on your HK. set the Midrange to +5 and the Treble to +2. leave the Bass where you currently have it although I suggest -2 or -3 is best for this mix.

try these settings across different mediums and songs and see if this sounds better to you and then adjust from there.

I've heard a lot of comments of the HK being too strong in the Treble range. that may be some of the reflectiveness you are hearing.

the +5 on Midrange really seems to pull the sound together on the HK. even +4 doesn't seem to make nearly the difference that +5 in Midrange makes. this may change later when/if Stellantis releases updates that change the EQ. but for now this seems to be the secret sauce that smooths out and fills in the sound.
i might play around with it. overall im not dissatisfied with the hk, i was just noting the differences i experienced. last night getting food i was blasting some zeppelin and loving it. but it's also not my daily, so whatever the wife wants to listen to and how to adjust things is on her. she's more displeased with how her iphone is not working a lot of the time.

im android, she's iphone.....we make it work

41 - 46 of 46 Posts