Dodge Durango Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I actually think the "Alpine" sounds better. The HK is basically the alpine system with more "power" and speakers.
It sounds like dodge has more than one alpine package. The one in my challenger didn’t have a subwoofer or any bass/mid range to speak of.

·
Registered
2022 Durango R/T TnG - Ordered 11/12/21
40 Posts
It sounds like dodge has more than one alpine package. The one in my challenger didn’t have a subwoofer or any bass/mid range to speak of.
That is definitely accurate, especially comparing model to model over the years. My old 2015 Charger had the Alpine "premium" system, which in its case meant 6 speakers, no sub, and a 276w amp. Current definitions of the Alpine system in the Durango would mean 9 speakers with sub and 506w amp.

(I hope I'm right on those numbers.)

Reactions: S8ER01Z

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
the HK was $1,085 at MRSP. and some of us didn't pay MSRP.

the stock Alpine system is really that good. but the HK is better. the HK has taken a rap because whoever wrote the software didn't know how to EQ it properly for the hardware being used. but once you adjust the EQ, the HK really does sound better.

the strength of the HK is the extra speakers. the extra mids in the front doors make a huge difference once the EQ is set properly to use them. the real 'presence' in a vocal or most instruments falls in the Midrange. you don't really know what you're missing until you have a system like the HK that has a dedicated speaker/driver for that.

the extra power in the HK helps, the larger subwoofer in the HK helps. but the real difference are those mid-range speakers. that's why its sooooo important to set your EQ to +5 Mid and +2 Treble if you have the HK.

·
Registered
21 Posts
the HK was $1,085 at MRSP. and some of us didn't pay MSRP.

the stock Alpine system is really that good. but the HK is better. the HK has taken a rap because whoever wrote the software didn't know how to EQ it properly for the hardware being used. but once you adjust the EQ, the HK really does sound better.

the strength of the HK is the extra speakers. the extra mids in the front doors make a huge difference once the EQ is set properly to use them. the real 'presence' in a vocal or most instruments falls in the Midrange. you don't really know what you're missing until you have a system like the HK that has a dedicated speaker/driver for that.

the extra power in the HK helps, the larger subwoofer in the HK helps. but the real difference are those mid-range speakers. that's why its sooooo important to set your EQ to +5 Mid and +2 Treble if you have the HK.
After the ~17% in discounts and rebates, the HK for me nets out to ~$900. Was it worth the money? Most definitely for me.

Reactions: DDC

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
After the ~17% in discounts and rebates, the HK for me nets out to ~$900. Was it worth the money? Most definitely for me.
awesome. I'm glad you're enjoying it. and that you didn't pay full MSRP. :)

I'm sure the recent version of the Alpine system is strong. I had a 2011 D with the Alpine stereo and once FCA finally released an update to fix its wonky bass-midrange relationship that system really was good. I enjoyed listening to that Alpine system for years.

I'm just tired of hearing the HK get put down. yes the factory programming is still bone headed when it comes to the EQ mix. but thankfully, that is fixable. once you set something similar to Bass -2 Mid +5 Treb +2 as your baseline and tweak from there according to your personal tastes, then the HK is a seriously good system.

I have some old Sinatra Christmas songs that sound absolutely fantastic on this HK. I play Pop, Country, Christian, 80's, Garth Brooks, U2, Jimmy Buffett, you name it and it sounds good. SiriusXM even sounds like real music now.

Reactions: S8ER01Z

·
Registered
67 Posts
I could see the HK price being of consideration at lower trims but it’s really not expensive in the grand scheme of things. I paid more for license plate renewal than the HK option 😂

·
Registered
2022 Durango R/T TnG - Ordered 11/12/21
40 Posts
There's also the issue of it not being available for some of the trims in 2022. I ordered an R/T TNG. If I wanted the HK, I would have had to upgrade to the Plus group including forward collision avoidance and all of that jazz.

Reactions: DDC

·
Registered
67 Posts
There's also the issue of it not being available for some of the trims in 2022. I ordered an R/T TNG. If I wanted the HK, I would have had to upgrade to the Plus group including forward collision avoidance and all of that jazz.
Solid point.. I didn’t consider that if it’s bundled with more expensive options. In that case it could be pretty costly to add on.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Yes, its a different story for 2022 orders and that does change the answer for some buyers.

But for anyone who does go with the HK, its totally worth having. Just search the posts where we discuss how to setup the EQ.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Didn't try the HK setup but I have the alpine and sounds really good, woofer is pretty good and the quality of the sonds is excellent, tho from 2hat I hear if given the chance to get the HK then I guess it is worth it, but it is not a deal breaker for me tbh.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've been banging my head against the wall trying to find an existing new 2021 R/T with the Harman Kardon option upgrade. Can't seem to find one with the other options I am interested in. So now wondering if the upgraded audio is even worth it. I'm not an audiophile, exactly, but I do notice the difference between a run-of-the-mill car audio and an upgraded system.

So, is the Durango's upgraded H/K that much superior to the base Alpine system? Anyone have experience with both?

(FYI, waited too long to order; my current lease is running out. Need a vehicle nowish, that's why I'm looking at stock on hand, or on the way)
Find another car the 2021 Durango does not run right

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Durango R/T AWD
137 Posts
I've been banging my head against the wall trying to find an existing new 2021 R/T with the Harman Kardon option upgrade. Can't seem to find one with the other options I am interested in. So now wondering if the upgraded audio is even worth it. I'm not an audiophile, exactly, but I do notice the difference between a run-of-the-mill car audio and an upgraded system.

So, is the Durango's upgraded H/K that much superior to the base Alpine system? Anyone have experience with both?

(FYI, waited too long to order; my current lease is running out. Need a vehicle nowish, that's why I'm looking at stock on hand, or on the way)
I have the Harmon Kardon in my RAM and while it is nice its not something that would sway me one way or another in terms of picking a vehicle. Other options like sunroof, awd, rear entertainment, etc is what matters for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2020 Durango RT with Alpine. Have no experience with the Harmon Kardon. Really Happy with the Alpine after upgrading all 9 speakers. Best sound, I have had in any vehicle, I have every owned. No upgrades to the Control Head/Display. Really like the interface and Navigation System and how it integrates with my phone. As I said, upgraded every speaker with best aftermarket, I could find. Did upsize the Rear Hatchback Speakers from 2.5" to 3.5" (easy upgrade by trimming bracket). Front Door is 6x9 Woofer and a Tweeter/Midrange near the rear view mirror. Back Seat is a 6.5" (3/4/5 way-I do not remember, will have to check my purchase history) Front Dash is a single 3.5 (3 way now, had to buy a pair). Rear Cargo Space Speakers are upgraded from 2.5 full range to 3.5" 3 way. Upgrading Speakers is the best way to upgrade the sound.

·
Registered
24 Posts
2020 Durango RT with Alpine. Have no experience with the Harmon Kardon. Really Happy with the Alpine after upgrading all 9 speakers. Best sound, I have had in any vehicle, I have every owned. No upgrades to the Control Head/Display. Really like the interface and Navigation System and how it integrates with my phone. As I said, upgraded every speaker with best aftermarket, I could find. Did upsize the Rear Hatchback Speakers from 2.5" to 3.5" (easy upgrade by trimming bracket). Front Door is 6x9 Woofer and a Tweeter/Midrange near the rear view mirror. Back Seat is a 6.5" (3/4/5 way-I do not remember, will have to check my purchase history) Front Dash is a single 3.5 (3 way now, had to buy a pair). Rear Cargo Space Speakers are upgraded from 2.5 full range to 3.5" 3 way. Upgrading Speakers is the best way to upgrade the sound.
Then you have neither system. You upgraded your speakers. Not really relevant.

·
Registered
109 Posts

No. Put a JL 6 ch amp on the factory alpines and you’ll enjoy it far more than the HK. I’ve had both, I am an audiophile, and was happy with the upgraded amp on the factory alpines. In my new Redeye I put Millie Pros ($500 a set) and it isn’t even close to the HK setup. Either of those would make you happy.

·
Registered
22 Posts

The alpine system is awesome for us I can hear my wife from a mile away plenty of Bass

·
Registered
2021 Durango SRT 392
68 Posts

I had Alpine in my 300M and HK in my 21 DDSRT 392 , my 300M I put in JBL speakers and woofer along with 1500W Amp and now I got sound, my DDSRT HK sounds good but depending on the song being played by Sirius, Radio, USB, the base is barely heard, but when a song comes on that has killer base the sound within the car is awesome. But I’m considering having after market system put in for much better sound and output power, what I like is base throughout the whole car and not just in the rear.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Just purchased SRT last night, they had one with the H/K & one without. Tried them both, H/K has better highs, little bit cleaner sound, I would have chosen the less expensive Durango with the Alpine if wasn't for the resprayed looking fender.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts