Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been banging my head against the wall trying to find an existing new 2021 R/T with the Harman Kardon option upgrade. Can't seem to find one with the other options I am interested in. So now wondering if the upgraded audio is even worth it. I'm not an audiophile, exactly, but I do notice the difference between a run-of-the-mill car audio and an upgraded system.

So, is the Durango's upgraded H/K that much superior to the base Alpine system? Anyone have experience with both?

(FYI, waited too long to order; my current lease is running out. Need a vehicle nowish, that's why I'm looking at stock on hand, or on the way)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Since you're not doing a factory order, if you find one you like, I wouldn't let it sway you either way. The base Alpine is good and not everyone likes the HK system (there was a thread here not too long ago about the settings and how to make it sound good). The consensus seems to be that it lacks bass. After hearing it, I did order it on my '22. It's a very clear sounding "musical" system, but I'm sorta still on the fence about whether it is worth the $$ because I've never really had any complaints about the Alpine in my '19 R/T.

·
Registered
2021 Billet R/T TNG
810 Posts
It’s sooo much better than my Beats in my ‘18 R/T. Unless you plan on installing some aftermarket stuff yourself, yes I’d say it’s absolutely worth it.

Reactions: frictioncircle

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
The HK upgrade is not worth it. The Alpine system rocks hard and sounds awesome.
Everytime I get into my wife's JGC with the HK system, it is very dissapointing.
This is my opinion based on my ears so you may feel differently after comparing the 2 systems.

Reactions: rhobll

·
Registered
60 Posts
I hated the Alpine in my 2018 Challenger. Does the Durango Alpine come with a subwoofer? If not there is no way I would go with the Alpine. The HK in my 2021 Durango is pretty good (it’s not amazing or anything but my Alpine experience was so lacking that it feels like a huge improvement to me) and I would pick it again if given the choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since you're not doing a factory order, if you find one you like, I wouldn't let it sway you either way. The base Alpine is good and not everyone likes the HK system (there was a thread here not too long ago about the settings and how to make it sound good). The consensus seems to be that it lacks bass. After hearing it, I did order it on my '22. It's a very clear sounding "musical" system, but I'm sorta still on the fence about whether it is worth the $$ because I've never really had any complaints about the Alpine in my '19 R/T.
Thanks. I did find the other thread. VERY mixed reviews.

- msc

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks. I did find the other thread. VERY mixed reviews.

- msc
Yup, I've literally seen everything from "it sucks, it's the worst ever" to "it's amazing, best I've ever had"...so it all comes down to what music you listen to, what your source is, and what your ears like. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yup, I've literally seen everything from "it sucks, it's the worst ever" to "it's amazing, best I've ever had"...so it all comes down to what music you listen to, what your source is, and what your ears like. :)
If it's the same Alpine system that was in my 2019 Ram Big Horn, then that system hits hard. Good for rap music. Very nice bass. I have zero experience with the HK system, however.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I hated the Alpine in my 2018 Challenger. Does the Durango Alpine come with a subwoofer? If not there is no way I would go with the Alpine. The HK in my 2021 Durango is pretty good (it’s not amazing or anything but my Alpine experience was so lacking that it feels like a huge improvement to me) and I would pick it again if given the choice.
Yes the Alpine system has a subwoofer.

Reactions: S8ER01Z

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
YES, the HK is worth it ONCE you setup the EQ properly. I am 100% glad I spent the extra money now that I have the EQ settings dialed in. you would totally like the HK.

having said all that, the stock Alpine is pretty good. yes, it has a subwoofer and yes it produces very good sound. you would be perfectly happy with the Alpine.

Reactions: powerfreak

·
Registered
2021 Durango RT , blue shade pearl, with TnG
37 Posts
Some have said that its great once you have the settings set to your liking. I find I have to adjust the bass depending on what source I’m using. I do find it does lack bass for the most part.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
How can you check the version number?
go into the Settings app and keep digging until you find it. go all the way down til you see Version Number.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the Apline in my 2012 DDRT, and thought it was pretty nice. I spent the money on the HK for my 2021 and pleased with the upgrade. I also agree it will come down to personal preference and what you like out of your music.

Reactions: S8ER01Z and JustinK

·
Registered
71 Posts
I actually think the "Alpine" sounds better. The HK is basically the alpine system with more "power" and speakers.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Trus me, for the price it is not worth it even is you may think it sounds a tad better.
2 grand is an insane price above and beyond the Apline.
Alpine is the bomb although my 500 watt Infinity that was in my SRT10 was ungodly tight and awesome sounding.

·
Registered
2022 Durango R/T TnG - Ordered 11/12/21
37 Posts
I actually think the "Alpine" sounds better. The HK is basically the alpine system with more "power" and speakers.
My thought there is that even though it technically has more total power, you're technically getting less power to each speaker since there's more of them... But I'm not an audio engineer, so I may be wrong! I like quality sound, but I couldn't see spending so much on an upgrade with such mixed reviews. My plan will be to replace the door 6x9 speakers with Infinity speakers like I had done in my old vehicles.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts