Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overview of the issue
So I've been researching a hard start issue that just started this month with my 2002 Durango 4.7 with 164,000 miles. It takes about 5-10 seconds of cranking to get the engine to start when it's been sitting for more than 1hour. It will run really rough for a couple seconds then settle into idol just fine. It drives OK and the only thing I've noticed is it's a little more sluggish pulling up steep hills. Once it's driven or warmed up, if I stop it and try and start again it will fire right up, it only seems to have issues with the hard start after it has to sit for about 30min before I start it again.

What I've done so far
When I turn the key to on I hear the fuel pump engage but doing the 3 time prime method does nothing to help start. I think I'm narrowing down the issue to either a leaking injector or a bad FPS.

I used a Fuel pressure gauge for the first time so I'm not 100% on how it's suppose to react but when I would engage the key the fuel pump pressure would jump up to around 49psi from 0 on the first time and after turning off the engine within a minute I can watch the pressure start to drop. After about 30min I have no pressure in the system.

When at idol the fuel pressure gauge needle jumps 2-5lbs when idling which from all the videos I watched seemed to be much more variation in the fuel pressure. When I rev the engine the variation in fuel pressure jumps to 4-8psi then stabilize at 50psi with a solid reading at 2500rpm. It didn't react the way I expected from some of the videos I've seen. This is why I'm thinking a bad FPS but from what I'm learning it looks like the FPS is on top of the fuel pump which means I need to drop the tank to get to it. If I have to drop the tank I'm thinking replacing the fuel pump with a new FPS would be better than just replacing the FPS. This is my first time dealing with fuel issues of this sort in a vehicle so I'm a bit blind on exactly how thinks should react.

I did change the plugs because they hadn't been done is 50,000 miles just to make sure it had nothing to do with it and all looked perfect except the #6 cylinder which looks like it had oil on it and smelt heavy of gas. I'm thinking I've got a cylinder ring going bad, bad head gasket or a leaky injector causing the issue.

All the other articles I've seen haven't quite covered the issue with the same symptoms I'm having so any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Welcome
we have a few, 4.7 owners hanging, here. Hope they will chime in. But does sound like a injector leak on #6. you should have pressure for days after shutdown.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts