Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had since I have owned my 2007 and stability problem that no one seems to be able to diagnose, or resolve....

When I hit a series of staggered or repeated bumps in the road at speeds about 45 MPH, the front end skips causing wheel hop and the stabilizer just isn't keeping the wheel from getting jerked out of my hand. This in turn causes the rear end to follow suit.....It's scary. I've replaced all 4 shocks, 4 new new tires with even lower than called for pressures--as that seems to help a little. Wheel alignment, ball joint replacement--even though not required and tie rod ends. Yet, still hit some bumps at highway speeds in a corner and hang on for dear life! 3 mechanics tell me that this is normal. One says he just can't figure it out. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

Has anyone else had similar issues?

2007 Hemi Durango Limited 5.7....One of the few they made fully loaded with 20 inch chrome wheels and the Inferno Red paint scheme.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
2 other causes not mentioned in your list is a worn steering rack, worn bushings...did you check the stabilizer bar bushings and end links?
2wd or 4wd?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2 other causes not mentioned in your list is a worn steering rack, worn bushings...did you check the stabilizer bar bushings and end links?
2wd or 4wd?
She's 2wd. I can't see any physical damage to any of the bushings. Now, the steering rack.....when front wheels are lifted, there is no slop....they turn smoothly. Now, that it has gotten colder, I'm starting to hear groaning and creaking from the front end as I dip through dips and bumps. That's new for this car but seen before on a Grand Cherokee I previously had. I'm just at a loss and I have invested so much in keeping this baby up and running. I'm $3500 in repairs alone this year. Add that to the 22k purchase of her.....I hate to give up the fight cause she really is a sweet ride. But when 4 mechanics can't give me an answer?.......

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Creaking or squeaks going over speed bumps or dips is a sign of worn control arm bushings.
Also its recommended when replacing ball joints that you replace the whole control arm and not just the ball joint plus you can buy a whole lower control arm w/ball joint and new bushings for your truck from Moog for about $75.

I'd also check the front sway bar end links. If you've had a lot of front end work and they have not been replaced chances are they have been damaged from removal to replace other components.

But, as is the case with older vehicles, its often not worth paying a shop to do repairs when the repairs are more than the vehicle is worth. You have to do the repairs yourself for it to make financial sense IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Some of the groaning may just be the type of bushings they put in the suspension. My 05 has groaned a little over speed humps and the like ever since I got it, especially when cold, with no evidence of anything being worn (she tracks straight, doesn't pull, and runs smooth). I'm not trying to discount what chase is saying, it's definitely worth checking every part of the suspension for wear or damage. Just offering up what I have experienced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had since I have owned my 2007 and stability problem that no one seems to be able to diagnose, or resolve....

When I hit a series of staggered or repeated bumps in the road at speeds about 45 MPH, the front end skips causing wheel hop and the stabilizer just isn't keeping the wheel from getting jerked out of my hand. This in turn causes the rear end to follow suit.....It's scary. I've replaced all 4 shocks, 4 new new tires with even lower than called for pressures--as that seems to help a little. Wheel alignment, ball joint replacement--even though not required and tie rod ends. Yet, still hit some bumps at highway speeds in a corner and hang on for dear life! 3 mechanics tell me that this is normal. One says he just can't figure it out. View attachment 46290

Has anyone else had similar issues?

2007 Hemi Durango Limited 5.7....One of the few they made fully loaded with 20 inch chrome wheels and the Inferno Red paint scheme.
9/13/2020
I have the same problem with my 2007 Dodge Durango Adventure.. changed everything but the tires and still gotta hold on for dear life...
Still waiting on a solution on how to fix problem...😤😡🤬🤬🤬

·
Registered
326 Posts
Previously, I had new shocks and sway bar links. This weekend, I replaced my steering rack and while I only drove it 50 miles, it does seem much better. I did the work myself and only cussed about 3 times because a new rack with inner tie rods installed at least one of the torsion bars has to come out. I ended up removing one of the inner rods (potentially voiding the warranty) because I couldn't get the roll pin to come out of the control arm to remove the spring. I did also replace the outer tie rods while I was at it. If you do it yourself; make sure you remove the dirt plugs in the rack before installing and simply put a piece of tape over the plugs. It was a PITA to get them to come off while it was installed in the vehicle.

I still have some slack in the wheel, but it doesn't seem to hop around over big bumps any more. I will follow up in a few days. There is one segment on the highway just south of town with small bumps due to pothole patching around a curve and it was getting dicey. I am confident that it will be significantly improved now though based on my commute this morning.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Previously, I had new shocks and sway bar links. This weekend, I replaced my steering rack and while I only drove it 50 miles, it does seem much better. I did the work myself and only cussed about 3 times because a new rack with inner tie rods installed at least one of the torsion bars has to come out. I ended up removing one of the inner rods (potentially voiding the warranty) because I couldn't get the roll pin to come out of the control arm to remove the spring. I did also replace the outer tie rods while I was at it. If you do it yourself; make sure you remove the dirt plugs in the rack before installing and simply put a piece of tape over the plugs. It was a PITA to get them to come off while it was installed in the vehicle.

I still have some slack in the wheel, but it doesn't seem to hop around over big bumps any more. I will follow up in a few days. There is one segment on the highway just south of town with small bumps due to pothole patching around a curve and it was getting dicey. I am confident that it will be significantly improved now though based on my commute this morning.
Update, I brought my car in for an alignment. They found both lower ball joints were bad and one of the tie rod ends that I installed last year was failing already. I ordered a new Precision Tie Rod end to replace the MasterPro and 2 Moog Balljoints. I wasn't planning on replacing the upper control arms since they seemed tight, but the studs let loose, so I ended up replacing those too with Napa brand. The new uppers are also steel instead of aluminum. I think the Aluminum arms probably provide a better ride quality, but they flexed when I was trying to take them off, so I think the new steel uppers will help stiffen up the ride quality.

I am dropping off the car later this week to finish the alignment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts