Dodge Durango Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oh, my apologies. I'm sorry to hear that wire wasn't there. There must be some wiring differences between the years or something. I used AllDataDIY to get wiring diagrams and locate the wire on mine. It might help you find yours

·
Registered
32 Posts
I always assume there’s minor differences throughout each model year so when I didn’t find the wire on mine, I just figured dodge added that to the wiring on later years

Since I don’t have access to alldata I’m most likely going to just run my own wire up to the trailer wiring, at this point it seems like the best solution for mine

·
Registered
26 Posts
I found some wiring diagrams for your year/submodel. I know you checked out those four wires on the passenger side panel but did you happen to look around for the DG wire in there? The diagrams show the connector should be here:

And it would look like one of these:

The wire will be in pin 1 which is the upper left of the first pic and upper right on the second one depending on which you see. The connector may also be under the car somewhere. It's an underbody/body inline connector, same as in the 2018 model, just different location it seems

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thank you for looking that up for me, I didn’t initially find the DG wire under the passenger side dash, I will look again and also underneath the body as well and hopefully be able to locate it

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’ve had a busy week so I finally got to investigate the diagram of where to look for the connector and found it very easily under the body without even taking anything apart and sure enough there was a DG wire on one side of the connector but not the other

So I did a quick continuity test and confirmed that it is the trailer brake wire! Very happy to have found it and since it’s right beside the trailer wiring harness, it’ll be easy to connect together

So thank you very much for posting that info!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
So glad to hear you found it! and already right next to the trailer wiring, I'm jealous lol good luck with the install!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well i certainly appreciate the help!

But since you have access to alldata, I have another request that I almost sent in a PM but it’s still related to trailer wiring so I’ll post here

I bought an enclosed trailer that has reverse lights, of course it’s not necessary to have hooked up but I think it’d be cool to do, would you be able to look up the diagrams for the reverse lights for me as well?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hope this helps. First, the "Trailer Tow Wiring" .jpg attached below is of the entire tow wiring system. The "Trailer Tow Backup Lamp Feed" which is what I think you're looking for for your trailer reverse lighting runs from the 7-way to connector to a "Body/Underbody 2" connector. It will look like these:

The backup lamp feed runs through pin 8. You may have already seen this connector as it's on the underbody/body harness and is located here:

Which looks like that is about the same spot as where you found the brake controller wiring. The backup lamp feed runs through this and into the power distribution center under the hood. It feeds to fuse F28 (PDC Layout attached below). There is also the relay control for the backup lamps which runs from the body control module underneath the passenger side dashboard to the PDC. This wire should be included in harness D which you checked earlier and said was already attached if I remember correctly. I can include more info on that wiring if you would like. Hopefully this is what you were looking for. Let me know if any of the pics where unreadable

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
that info looks great to me thank you very much, I will do some digging on my durango within the next couple days and hopefully locate the reverse light wire in the area where the brake controller wire is and if it is there, i'll just need to run that wire along the trailer harness and pin it into the 7 pin connector to make it all work, but that shouldn't be hard at all, i'm looking forward to it actually lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had a chance to work on the Durango today to check out the brake controller wire and the reverse light wire

First was connecting the brake controller wire and with the trailer harness being right beside the connector it was pretty easy, I pulled the access DG wire out of the trailer harness so it’s not hanging out under the fuse box and soldered it to the connecting DG wire that runs to the drivers side dash where the brake controller plugs into. Then afterwards I did a continuity test to confirm the circuit from the under dash connector to the 7 pin connector at the hitch and success!! I’m now ready to use the trailer brakes

Now onto the reverse lights which is obviously not as important to have but here’s what I found

In the pic I attached, the black connector is the “underbody 2” you described for me, in pin 8 it was a white/orange wire on one side but not going out the other side, so I decided to check where it goes, so I first checked at fuse 28 and no luck

But as per the instruction of installing the trailer wiring harness, if there’s a factory wire present, remove it and install the trailer harness pin..... so I checked the white/orange wire that I had previously taped to the side and turns out Pin 8 in the Underbody 2 connector was removed for the trailer wiring install

So knowing that, I did another continuity test from Fuse 28 to the 7 pin at the hitch and confirmed that the reverse light wire has been connected this entire time!

So i had with this project and am very happy that both the trailer brake and reverse light circuits are hooked up and ready for use! I’m still waiting on delivery of my new trailer so i can’t put everything to the test quite yet, but I’m confident my Durango is ready for the job!

Thank you again for your help

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's awesome! I'm glad it worked out and that we were able to figure out the wiring for the different years. It hadn't occured to me it could be so different. Thanks for posting the pics and adding all this info to the thread. If you run into anything when you get the new trailer, let me know and I'll help however I can. Happy towing!

·
Registered
32 Posts
For sure, I just appreciate the help on your end

Today I got the brake controller mounted and the plug and play harness ran as clean and hidden as possible, I can’t wait for delivery of my trailer (within two weeks) to test everything out and will report back once I’ve tested it all

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I’ve been digging deeper into my brake controlled install and have gotten frustrated, at the 4 pin connector under the drivers side dash, I have all the input signals required (12v, ground and brake signal) so it’s just a matter of connecting the output wire to the trailer wiring harness

I tore my Durango half apart searching for where the output wire goes so I can do a clean install of the brake controller but I can not figure out where it goes

So at this point it’s looking like I’ll just have to run my own wire from the brake controller to the trailer harness, unless I miraculously figure out where the factory wire goes too
Which wire did you tap into in the wire harness just behind the emergency break? I have been probing wires for hours and can't find which wire is is stoplight break wire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yall are amazing. I am actively doing this right now. 2014 WD V6 Limited. I installed Mopar hitch receiver, the mopar harness, the mopar trailer brake controller. turned on the harness. Lights work beautiful. EB's not working. Checked the controller, confirmed i have brake signal in and out. then I realize the DK Green wire is the EB pin and I just zipped tied it to nowhere like a good boy how the instructions told me to. I threw in the towel tonight looking for to connect it properly, but with this new found gold mine of information, I'm hoping tomorrow ill have this wrapped up. Thanks for sharing.
If anyone cars...
Newly installed Part numbers are:
1. 82213986AB - Harness
2. 82213173AB - brake controller.
3. 82214135AB - hitch receiver.
bought but not yet installed:
1. Larger option front rotors on a durango that has the factory tow package.
2. Caliper adapters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Chrispy love the pics. you rock. found mine clear as day (actually a little surprised at how its barely being blocked by the wheel well.) Your picture of the shrink wrapped green wire is tripping me up a bit. it looks like you have it cut about 2-3" back from the connector, then solder and wrapped to the trailer harness wire....which, wow this is convenient, it literally runs right next to where we route the trailer wire harness...wish they would have told us this in the directions Hhaaa!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Chase - it a 4 pin connector under the dash, left of the steering column, I’ll have to grab a picture another day since it’s raining pretty good today lol

BBBBJACO - you’re welcome, glad my pics helped you with your install! But yes, I cut the DG wire back far enough from the connector that if I ever needed to reconnect it (highly unlikely) then there’s enough wire there to do so

41 - 57 of 57 Posts