Dodge Durango Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Unfortunately I haven't had the time to look, I recently moved and only just got settled in. I was hoping to get to it this weekend but couldn't. I'm trying to do some searching either sometime during this week or next weekend, whenever I can get a few hours. If you go ahead with the installation or have already done it and found anything new, please let us know

·
Registered
5 Posts
Found this in another forum
"I cant post pix, my image-editing software has gone west.
But, it looks like it should be an "aqua" colored connector somewhere near the firewall/floorplan underbody on the passenger side. Pin 1 on the body side connector should he the green wire, and I imagine pin 1 is not populated on the chassis side of the connector."

·
Registered
13 Posts
@SiruS My PN is P68320920AB B w/ vendor code 16238DA. Looks like they match! Someone let me test a trailer with the four-pin connector and all lights/turn signals worked w/ no codes thrown in the process. I'm going to check Walmart for one of those 7-way test lights or order it from Amazon, so I'll test that out too. Thanks for the link!

View attachment 107620
I bought a `20 SXT that didn't have the towing package and I'm missing all the tow-related fuses looks like. Does anyone know if it's possible to install just the cheaper harness (82216007AB) + missing fuses? Or do I need to replace the whole fuse box?

Mine looks like this (missing fuses highlighted):

·
Registered
26 Posts
I checked under the rear bumper facia. Looks like the wiring diagram I posted earlier was incorrect in showing that that was the location of the green wire from the brake controller harness.

Found this in another forum
"I cant post pix, my image-editing software has gone west.
But, it looks like it should be an "aqua" colored connector
I'm gonna take a look under the passenger side again and see if I can't find anything. I checked once before and didn't see the green wire but I may have missed it. There is a lot going in and out of there.

I bought a `20 SXT that didn't have the towing package and I'm missing all the tow-related fuses looks like. Does anyone know if it's possible to install just the cheaper harness (82216007AB) + missing fuses? Or do I need to replace the whole fuse box?

Mine looks like this (missing fuses highlighted):
I couldn't say for sure but I would assume that so long as there is wiring leading to those spots, you should be able to just install a fuse to it. You may be able to see if there is a wire in the pin slot looking from the top down or you may need to remove the connectors and check

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm gonna take a look under the passenger side again and see if I can't find anything. I checked once before and didn't see the green wire but I may have missed it. There is a lot going in and out of there.
I got everything installed and dealer programmed. Only thing I got left to do is install brake controller. When I get a chance me and my buddy are gonna see if we can trace down this green wire also. Its gotta go somewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@hotbird
Depends on which model Durango you want to install the harness into. The site below reflects 2 part numbers with their description. My local dealer who went through this exercise recently, they initially ordered and installed #82216008AB into my 2020 RT, long story short, they confirmed the harness itself is the same for either part number. I suspect it's the auxilary components in the kit that differ.

Part Number: 82216007AB - Wiring Harness To Enable Towing For Dodge Durango Equipped With 5.7L Or 6.4L Engine.
Part Number: 82216008AB - Wiring Harness to enable towing for a Dodge Durango with 3.6L engine and electronic start/stop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Part Number: 82216008AB - Wiring Harness to enable towing for a Dodge Durango with 3.6L engine and electronic start/stop.
Yup, this is the one that I have, but it's incomplete. I'm missing the 4 wire harness and trying to find the part number for it. Dealership could not help and said they can only see the full kit in the system, they don't have an individual parts breakdown for it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry it's been a while since I've posted an update but life has been busy. I recently had time to check out the connector location depicted in the wiring diagrams I posted earlier and I may have found where the green wire goes. The below picture is the connector in question:

That is what I suspect to be the Inline-Body/Underbody 2 connector. The female end (X4300A_Under_Body) is what is in focus with the wires for the male end (Y4300A_Body) slightly blurry behind them. Below is a picture with the Y4300A wires in focus:

As you can see, there is a DG wire feeding into Y4300A but not leaving X4300A. The Y side is the body side which encompasses the wires for the brake controller connector while the X side encompasses the trailer wiring harness. This makes sense because the car does have the wiring for the brake controller but nothing going to the trailer harness.

Comparing all of this to the wiring diagram and pin locations seen below, the wires seem to match.

X4300A Wires.gif
X4300A Connector.jpg

These diagrams are for the X4300A (shown closest to us in the pictures.) Note, you have to mentally flip what you see in the pictures to compare them as the connector view is from a head-on perspective and the pictures are from the aft end.

Assuming the diagrams are correct I'm feeling decently confident that this is the correct connector. I would love to get other inputs to verify this, let me know what you think.

In my mind, the next step is to get to that connector and potentially do a continuity test. One lead connected to the dash wire, one to this one. I know others have said the wire is under the passenger side dash but I have had no luck there and what I'm seeing so far is matching what the wiring diagrams are showing

·
Registered
26 Posts
Finally got time to check the aforementioned wire and it looks like it checks out.

I ended up buying a Fluke tone generator/probe kit instead of tearing through the car looking for wires. I connected the tone generator to pin 3 of the brake controller harness (DG wire). I was able to get the tone at the connector in my above post with the probe. I also checked the wires running to the fuse box under the hood and did not get the tone. The only thing I forgot to do was check the passenger side wires to make sure I didn't get a tone there. Either way, I got a tone at the wire that the diagrams say is the dark green brake wire. I included a link to a short video (less than 60 sec. because that's all I could upload) of what I did so you could see.

I'll set it up again and check the passenger side wires as soon as I can. Thanks to daylight savings time I might actually get home from work with some light left in the day. For me, this is conclusive enough that I'm going to connect my tow wiring to this X/Y4300A connector and am confident enough it will work. If you think I did the test improperly, misused the equipment thereby invalidating the results, or would like to see me probe other locations on the car, please let me know

Video Link:

·
Registered
26 Posts
can't believe it's doesn't have brake controller wiring under the hood though
I was thinking the same thing. Doesn't make sense that one wire out of all that wouldn't be under the hood. C'est la vie I guess. Sorry for taking so long to get an answer on here, only took 7 months ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
For those who want to utilize the existing wiring/connectors rather than running an extra wire around the car, here is some electrical connector info.

The X4300A connector where the DG wire would run out to the trailer wiring is apparently a Yazaki product #7283839840, seen here: Yazaki - Component Catalog. The connector drawing with info is attached.

The DG wire would normally go into pin 3 which is a "Terminal YESC Female 0.64mm Unsealed " seen here: Yazaki - Component Catalog. The terminal drawing is attached below.

When it comes to wiring, I like to keep it as close to what the manufacturer would have done as possible so I'm gonna see if I can find one of these connectors somewhere and route the wire through the existing harness. Reference previous posts for routing

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
So i'm going to chime in on this thread since i'm currently in the process of adding a brake controller to my durango, i have a 14' Limited V6 that did not come with the factory tow package but I've added a hitch and the wiring harness "A" and had the system activated etc but as whats been stated already, the green wire under the fuse box is left not connected anywhere. When i bought all the parts to install my hitch, i did not get the harness "D" which appears to connect the passenger side dash wiring to the fusebox under the hood since i believe i bought my parts before that harness was made available

I went out and bought a Tekonsha P3 brake controller and before buying the plug and play harness for it i decided to look into if i had all the proper power at the brake controller connector (the one under the dash, left of the steering column) and have found that i have the 12v signal, ground, and the brake light signal which is what i need to run the brake controller, but still need to get the signal from the controller to the hitch

I'd prefer to buy the 4 wire harness "D" and have the wiring as close to factory as possible but don't know if i can buy this harness only (unless one of you guys have a part number for harness D), but isn't that harness mainly designed for the vehicles equipped with the start/stop function?? my durango does not have that, so that makes me think i would be safe to run the brake output wire from the controller directly to the green wire under the fusebox and bypass the harness D altogether, what are your guys thoughts on this??

·
Registered
26 Posts
@Chrispy My understanding is that harness D connects the body control module to the trailer lighting relays so you get backup lights, turn signals, etc... I can't speak to whether it's something only vehicles with ESS have. Mine does have ESS. However, if you already got your trailer wiring activated and your trailer lights work, I would assume that wiring is already installed or not needed. I did not have to install harness D either. I just checked the pins to make sure wires were already there and that I had the proper relays/fuses. All of my lights work

Either way, you can run a wire from the brake controller to that Dark Green wire in the trailer wiring harness and be fine

·
Registered
32 Posts
Shabadoo - I installed harness A and all my trailer lights work as they should so until I started researching about installing a brake controller, I had no idea a harness D even existed

When I was looking at the fuse box there were 4 spots related to the trailer that weren’t lighting, one being the tow brakes, and that makes me think harness D connects those 4 fuses since it’s a 4 wire harness, but I could be wrong on this lol

I’ll hook up my brake controller tomorrow and test to see if the brake output signal reaches the fuse box, if not, I’ll either need harness D, or to just simply run the wire from the controller

·
Registered
32 Posts
So I’ve been digging deeper into my brake controlled install and have gotten frustrated, at the 4 pin connector under the drivers side dash, I have all the input signals required (12v, ground and brake signal) so it’s just a matter of connecting the output wire to the trailer wiring harness

I tore my Durango half apart searching for where the output wire goes so I can do a clean install of the brake controller but I can not figure out where it goes

So at this point it’s looking like I’ll just have to run my own wire from the brake controller to the trailer harness, unless I miraculously figure out where the factory wire goes too

·
Registered
26 Posts
@Chrispy check out my previous posts in this thread. Based on wiring diagrams/wire probing that wire is located in the drivers side rear cargo area. Hope it helps!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did follow that post and was the reason i ripped half my interior out lol i found the connector you pointed out on your post but mine did not have the trailer brake wire there

21 - 40 of 57 Posts