Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 DD GT, I’m installing the OEM tow hitch receiver and wiring harness. I have no issues with installing the hitch receiver, that’s pretty straight forward. However, installing the wiring harness is pretty difficult. Does anyone have any references I can follow? The mopar part for the wiring harness is 82216008AB. The instructions it came with is vague for me. I don’t want to take it to the dealer, they are charging $299 for installation, on top activating for towing. Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
12,739 Posts
can you scan and post the instructions? I haven't found the instructions for the '18 harness online yet..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not to hijack your post but I'm looking at doing this to my 2018 DD GT as well. I saw that on the MOPAR website it lists the harness with the part number you have. However, I found a MOPAR harness with part number 82213986AB which supposedly fits the 2014 - 2017 year range. I can't think of any reason why this harness shouldn't work in a 2018 and it is considerably less expensive. Any thoughts on this or why they may be different?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not to hijack your post but I'm looking at doing this to my 2018 DD GT as well. I saw that on the MOPAR website it lists the harness with the part number you have. However, I found a MOPAR harness with part number 82213986AB which supposedly fits the 2014 - 2017 year range. I can't think of any reason why this harness shouldn't work in a 2018 and it is considerably less expensive. Any thoughts on this or why they may be different?
only difference that I've found so far between 82213986AB and 82216008AB - extra wire (probably for brake controller?) and latter kit has additional wiring harness consisting of 4 wires that have to be fished through firewall (this seems to be for brake controller).
share your experience with wiring, if you have any, I'm on the same path right now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just installed the factory system on my 2017. It may not be exact, but this should get you close. This video really helped me when I would've been confused otherwise. I was able to do the whole thing without getting the D off the ground at all. However, if you can get it on ramps or something it'll make it a bit easier when running the harness to the front. Took about 3 hours from start to finish and looks fantastic. Also if you can get an impact to help remove/install the hitch bolts it'll make your life a lot easier. Have fun!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Video is nice, but 2018+ V6 is a bit different and requires fuse box replacement. What I'm trying to figure out, if my 2018 DD GT built on 01/18 really requires fusebox replacement.
Needless to say, new harness is 2-3x more expensive, depending on stealership greed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So I ended up buying the 82213986AB harness and installed it. The install was pretty much exactly like it shows in the video. It ran along the underside of the car, fed up into the engine bay to the battery terminals, through that little walled off area into the fuse box. As per the instructions, if a wire existed in a spot which the harness had to go to, I taped it back and replaced it with the corresponding wire on the new harness. I had to do this for all of the wires. Everything fit together with no issues. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to activate it prior to having to leave for a few weeks so I don't actually know if it works. However, it did not impact anything on the vehicle that I'm aware of at least. All lights/systems still function normally with no codes. Once I can get the new harness activated in about two weeks I'll post an update on whether it worked

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I ended up buying the 82213986AB harness and installed it. The install was pretty much exactly like it shows in the video. It ran along the underside of the car, fed up into the engine bay to the battery terminals, through that little walled off area into the fuse box. As per the instructions, if a wire existed in a spot which the harness had to go to, I taped it back and replaced it with the corresponding wire on the new harness. I had to do this for all of the wires. Everything fit together with no issues. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to activate it prior to having to leave for a few weeks so I don't actually know if it works. However, it did not impact anything on the vehicle that I'm aware of at least. All lights/systems still function normally with no codes. Once I can get the new harness activated in about two weeks I'll post an update on whether it worked
keep us updated please.
just to clarify - what is MFR date of your D?

·
Registered
26 Posts
My MFR date is December 2017. I went to the local dealership this past Friday and they told me they were able to activate it. They had to add some kind of code specific to the harness so I had to provide the part number but they said they didn't run into any issues. Total came out to $137.00, the lowest I could find out of about 5 dealers. I forgot to ask if they actually tested it so once I find someone with a trailer, I'm going to do a real world test. Once again, I'll update as I go

·
Registered
26 Posts
@SiruS My PN is P68320920AB B w/ vendor code 16238DA. Looks like they match! Someone let me test a trailer with the four-pin connector and all lights/turn signals worked w/ no codes thrown in the process. I'm going to check Walmart for one of those 7-way test lights or order it from Amazon, so I'll test that out too. Thanks for the link!

Also, just for fun, I checked out if I had any fuses for towing and it turns out I had all of them. At least all the ones labeled "Tow." I attached a pic. I also compared it to the fuse box from the first part number you provided. I found a pic of it here: https://www.amazon.com/2018-2019-Durango-Wiring-Trailer-Towing/dp/B07ND3S8WK/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=82216008AB&qid=1568659786&sr=8-3. I've got all the same fuses plus two, so theoretically you should have the same

·
Registered
11 Posts
@Shabadoo, yup, fuseboxes match! I have all tow related fuses as well +2.
I've found exactly same listing on ebay or at least same pictures used as in amazon listing above when searching for fuseboxes.
also, I've found this listing for fusebox from 2019 DD GT, which missing all tow related fuses.
I believe we already have the same fusebox that comes with 82216008AB kit, so I'll try to get 82216007AB and see how it goes. worst case scenario - I'll buy 82213986AB.

thanks again for your findings, info and pictures!

·
Registered
11 Posts
@Shabadoo, one more Q: did you just zip tied green wire from your harness, like on figure 20 in this installation instruction?
also, do you have a connector for brake controller to the left of steering column under the dash and if you had a chance to test it after dealer installation?
Assuming at least 3500lbs towing capacity it's definitely not safe to tow over 2000lbs without trailer brakes.

related:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did just zip tie the green wire off per the instructions. After checking out the link you provided and a few wiring diagrams it looks like that means I have no electric brake signal going to the hookup. I do have a connector for the brake controller and have not tested it yet. I'll do that as soon as I get a chance. Assuming it works, I just need to find where the green wire for the brake controller ends so I can hook it to the wiring harness. Same dilemma the other gentlemen had.

It definitely looks like the 82216007AB is the one to get as it includes another harness running from the passenger side panel to the fuse box. I'm not 100% certain what that harness does though. Based on the wire coloring, it is represented by the wires running from the module body control to the turn signal relays/B/U lamp/Tow Lamp. However, all of these function with just the main harness that I installed. I'll do some digging and maybe those wires will already be there? It seems like no lights would function properly if they weren't. I still wish that had popped up when I searched for wiring a few months ago but I guess I wasn't using the correct keywords. Now I need to see if I need that extra wiring...

I included the trailer wiring diagram for reference:

·
Registered
11 Posts
seems like this additional wiring harness with 4 wires is interconnecting passenger side panel with fusebox could be wiring harness for connector for the brake controller. brake controller requires exactly 4 wires: positive (+), ground (-), brake input signal (stoplights) and trailer brake output.
that's the reason why I was going to try 82216007AB, as according to installation instruction it's utilizing exactly the same pins on fusebox, plus additional 4 which tends to be wiring for brake controller.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's what I thought at first, but I checked out the connector views for PDC connectors C7 and C5 which those wires go into. On C7, they feed into Pin 27, 29, and 33 which are labeled as "Trailer Tow Backup Lamp Relay Ctrl.", "Trailer Tow Tail Lamp Relay Ctrl.", and "Right Rear Turn Signal Ctrl." respectively. On C5 they go to Pin 12 which is shown as "Left Rear Turn Signal Ctrl." This matches the above diagram showing them going from the Module Body Ctrl. to the fuse box.

Looking at the diagram for the C5/C6 on the body control module, all the pins that harness feeds into are marked for the aforementioned lights. I checked every pin on the connectors for that module and only one is labeled as a brake signal. It's pin 18 on C4 which is a DG/WH which feeds to the brake control connector under the driver side dash.

Interestingly, the DG wire which is supposed to go the the brake controller, isn't shown on the instructions for the 82216007AB kit. On the instructions you posted earlier for my kit, it at least referenced it, saying that it needed to be tied back. I attached the instructions for the 82216007AB kit below. It only shows the 5 wires on harness A feeding into C7/C5.

If the wiring diagrams are to be believed, that DG wire from the brake controller should go to a connector labeled Inline Body/Underbody 2. Which is located here:

I've got some digging to do it seems. If the controller wiring is connected properly, when I find that connector, one side should have a DG wire with no corresponding wire on the other connector. If so, that's where the DG wire from the 7 way connector should have gone

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
So just an update. I got the 7-way tester and hooked it up. All lights work with the exception of the electric brakes, as expected. It looks like I'll have to take the bumper off to find the connector where that green wire may be. Unfortunately I haven't had the time lately but will hopefully be able to get to it this week

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm sure you won't find anything behind bumper, except wires for parking sensors.
Entire harness should be routed under the car all the way to fusebox, so one end is zip tied near fusebox, the other end is 7way connector exposed on the hitch.
There is missing connection between brake controller connector underneath dashboard and that last wire that should be zip tied near fusebox, as per instruction.
I would rather start looking for brake controller wire which is coming from connector under the dashboard on the passenger panel, as per figure 27 in this installation instruction: https://moparonlineparts.com/docs/82216008AB.pdf
But, even if you would find it, seems like brake controller needs brake input signal (stoplights) wire also to work properly.
I've decided that I won't be looking for brake controller wires, as it's kinda phantom $200 investment that I may or may not need in future and also because I don't plan to tow anything heavy that requires brake controller. Also, because TX laws does not require brake controller if towing less than 4500lbs or up to 15000lbs if drawn at a speed of not more than 30 mph.
But I'm happy to help if somebody would need to check something on my vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any update on this? anyone find out where the green wire goes? getting ready to intall factory hitch and wiring this weekend. Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts