Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here's the scoop. As most of you know Mopar stopped producing the headers for our D some time back and whatever stocks were on hand have long since been exhausted. I talked to Mike Leach again at PPH in OC and he'd be prepared to fire up a new batch of these with all connectors, Y pipe etc. for about $525 (excluding shipping of course.) But here's the catch he needs a minimum guaranteed order of 25.

Could those interested please e-mail me and let's see if we can get the requiremd number of interested parties. Thanx

greg

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I've seen a post on the Dak R/T forum from Sam at http://www.socaldakota.com/ that he was talking about getting a run or already has some. I'd get in touch with him.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem with all of them is they do not fit our 4x4. There's plenty of people who have headers (GSM, Hookers?), long or short ones for 4x2 but not for the 4x4. You need the Y-pipe as well as a special tube on the left hand side to connect from the headers into the Y. A regular 4x2 header won't fit.
So if any of you're interested please e-mail me. Thanx

greg

·
Registered
840 Posts
Greg,

I posted a link over at Dodge Talk in the Durango forum. Maybe you'll get some cross overs to sign up.

Maybe you can convince Mike Leach to make you a set of "prototype headers", you know, to market and show off, to bring in new business. If anything at least you'll have a set!

Mark

·
Administrator
15,100 Posts
Re: Group Buy Signup Sheet for PPH Long Headers for 5.9L 4x4

greg said:
I talked to Mike Leach again at PPH in OC and he'd be prepared to fire up a new batch of these with all connectors, Y pipe etc. for about $525 (excluding shipping of course.) But here's the catch he needs a minimum guaranteed order of 25. greg
Coated, stainless steel, other? Who's PPH and where's OC? Guarenteed to work on a 2000D FT4x4 5.9L? How do these compare to SoCalDakota's units?

If all looks good, count me in! Only 23 more to go.

IndyDurango

·
Registered
840 Posts

IndyDurango said:
greg said:
I talked to Mike Leach again at PPH in OC and he'd be prepared to fire up a new batch of these with all connectors, Y pipe etc. for about $525 (excluding shipping of course.) But here's the catch he needs a minimum guaranteed order of 25. greg
Coated, stainless steel, other? Who's PPH and where's OC? Guarenteed to work on a 2000D FT4x4 5.9L? How do these compare to SoCalDakota's units?

If all looks good, count me in! Only 23 more to go.

IndyDurango
PPH stands for Positive Performance Headers. Positive Performance is the name of the exhaust shop in Orange County, 1202 N. Glassell, City of Orange, CA. (714) 639-5220. Mike Leach is the owner and original designer of the PPH Header, which was bought by Dodge and marketed as the ever coveted Mopar Headers.

I know they'll fit on the 4x4 Durangos with no problem other than removing the plastic guard under the engine. I got really lucky and picked up a set of chrome new uninstalled ones off another site. I was called Mike and asked him where to send it for coating. He directed me to Eng Application, 323-585-2894, 4727 E49th in Vernon, CA. about an hour away from Mikes shop. They did pretty good work, and Mike sends all of his systems there for coating. They do keep the under hood temps down. I can personally attest to that.

Mike and Tom Fox did the install on my 2000 R/T 4x4, and I've had no problems with it. I've read on some of the other sites the GS Motorsports headers Scott Quarantra sells have some clearance problems on the Dakotas and Durangos, the Mopar PPH headers went on easily.

FYI, Tom Fox is also the guy that can reprogram your ECM. Like B&G, he has the software to do it and is very knowledgeable. Tell him what you want, and he can do it.

I'm very happy with my headers. And I'm very picky about my Durango. If something works, and I like the Mopar PPH Headers, I'll recommend them. If something doesn't work, like the front GSM Viper Brakes, I won't recommend them. I recommend Positive Performance. My personal expereince is that they know what they're doing.

I'll try and take some more pics, but it's hard to see them from the top. They're blocked by the SuperCharger and Intercooler.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,100 Posts

RT Mark said:
PPH stands for Positive Performance Headers. Positive Performance is the name of the exhaust shop in Orange County, 1202 N. Glassell, City of Orange, CA. (714) 639-5220. Mike Leach is the owner and original designer of the PPH Header, which was bought by Dodge and marketed as the ever coveted Mopar Headers.
Thanks for the great info. Very interesting that these are the headers from which the OEM units were fabricated. What did the install and the coating cost you?

BTW, LMAO on the Viper brake tag in your Sig line!

IndyDurango
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Acetone-Juiced 2000 5.9L 4x4 SLT+ Platinum FT4WD, a clean 137k+ miles, Original Owner, Newly Mod Bitten! K&N FIPK2 CAI, Flowmaster, Jet 180 Stat with Redline WaterWetter, Superchips 3715 MAX MicroTuner, Custom Mobil1/Lucas Oil blend, ToolDesign Billet Caps, Other Misc Chrome/Billet Engine Parts, Brushed Street Scene Speed Grille Upper & 4 Piece Lower, Two Piece Billet Fuel Door, Clear Front Corner Lights, Front and Rear Carbon Fiber Dual Wipers, Carbon Fiber Altezza Taillights, Autoventshades Ventvisors, Factory Running Boards, Third Row Seating, Loose Drivers Seat/Recall Replaced BJs/Poor Factory Brakes/Cracked Factory Fogs

Planning to add Quicksilver?s 2nd Row Seat Mod (LOL), Fastman TB, M1, IAT Relo, B&G Flash, Angel Eyes, Bilstein Shocks, Hotchkis Bars, MSD Ignition/Coil? just need to figure out what's worth it, in which order to add them and to find the funds!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Some questions:

How tough to install? Can I DIY or do I need a shop to do it? It looks awfully tight in there.

If I don't have (and probably won't get) dual exhausts, will this mod help (noticably?)

If the mod does help, what aspect does it help?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Header installation is pretty easy and straight forward. There's plenty room. On the Mopar installation you may need the connection to the cat inlet welded.

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
PPH Headers

I'd strongly recommend this mod. Here are some images of mine. They're 14 Ga mild steel with ceramic coating. The original Y pipe that comes with the D is very restrictive, and the manifolds, well they're just logs. I have no dyno #s but the Ds mpg increased by 2 and I noticed an increase in engine response throughout the rpm band.

HTH

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To answer one or two questions not answered.

The new set of 815 PPH will be ceramic coated, price for everything excluding shipping is: $525 a great deal. I don't know about any subtle differences between the R/T and the SLT+ as both Tom and Mike asked me about it.

As to the SoCal units the long headers will not fit the 4x4s, there are short headers available for the 4x4 from various makers (GSM, Hooker.)

RT Mark, thanx I tried that and he just laughed. He did say if I could drive my D over he'd make a pipe for me for $60 as a favor for stopping to pester him :lol: but he didn't see a demand and to set up the pipe bender for a one off is just too time consuming for him. Alas the Interstate still isn't finished between the H-1 and 101 thus I can't drive over. Thanx for posting it to the Dodge truck forum!

As to the install, it depends on your set-up. Since I have the TCI pan with the extra 2 quarts it's going to take a fine tune to get the pipe to align under the drive shaft rather than over as it's now. For those with the extra large tranny pan I have no idea whether this will work as the pipe will start being awfully close to the ground.

Also please let me know whether you have a skid plate and if it's metal or plastic.

Lastly Mike will want a 35% down before he starts the job. If we get enough people I"ll let each of you forward that to Mike as I don't want to get into the collection business. Thank you again for your interest

greg

·
Registered
387 Posts
You know, for these being ceramic coated and having everything, I might be in even though I have a set of PPH on? The set I have is a used set of non-coated ones and had been repaired due to some pin holes in them (not sure how that happened on thse, but there was a little welding that had been done due to this)? So add me in on this as well?

Grease, you could do the install? Is fairly easy?

·
Registered
46 Posts
long tube headers

I'm in.couldn't get my e-mail to work,so this is my response.let me know if you need any other info.thanks. :clap:

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bill since you have the tranny cooler, any chance you can shoot a couple of pics of what the connector pipe to the Y looks like to clear the pan? TIA

greg

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heads up, New info - Please Read

I just got off the phone with Mike Leach at PPH (sorry for the long delay folks it's been rather busy) and here's the scoop. I apologize in advance for not having all the details before and assuming what shouldn't have been.

Payment
Mike wants a list of people and addresses (so he can deal directly with you) and wants 50% down

Delivery Time
4-6 weeks

Model Years
This covers 1998 and 1999 4x4 Ds only. Although he does sell to Dakotas because of emission and other issues, they're not legal for other Gen 1 model years.

Number of Orders Needed
Due to my constant pestering, Mike will start a batch with 15 confirmed orders. I know some of you who expressed an interest have 2000 and beyond Ds and though you may put them on. They're not legal and thus done at your own risk! Mike is honest enough and that's the scoop. They'll fit but? The cost with the ceramic coating is $525 plus the connector pipe. Folks this is a steal. Please consider this if you have a 98 or 99 4x4 D and mail me ASAP.

Thanx again,
greg

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Please don't shoot the messenger. I'm only repeating what Mike Leach told me. He said something about the cats or pre-cats on 2000 and forward. They'd fit but wouldn't be legal, thus at your own risk. Please feel free to contact him at: 714-639-5220. All I ask is that you mention my name and that you're part of the PPH order. Please post whatever you find out. Thank you

greg

·
Registered
202 Posts
Greg,

Are you sure he's not referring to CA spec. D's? Sounds like he was talking about cats and pre-cats. As far as I know, only CA spec. D's had pre-catalytic converters. When I purchased my PPH headers years ago, directly from PPH, there were no issues such as this because my D was Federal spec. Just a thought? :?

1 - 20 of 150 Posts