Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beginning last week I replaced the rotors, calipers and pads all the way around on my 2011 Durango Crew. I started with the rear wheels and when I finished with them I performed the brake pad bedding procedure. The next day I started on the front drivers side and when I took the wheel off I noticed the outer CV boot was partly torn by the band clamp on the CV axle. The grease that leaked out was pitch black and looked fresh. So I suspected that performing the brake bedding procedure (speeding up then aggressively braking 10 times in succession) on the new rear rotors/pads might have caused the tear in the front CV boot (it's 9 years old). So when I was finished with the front brakes I ordered a new CV axle and wheel hub (since it will already be apart). While waiting for the CV axle to arrive, I had to drive the vehicle a short distance but I didn't want to perform the bedding procedure (aggressive braking) on the front brakes until I replaced the CV axle. So I decided to brake as little as possible. When I pulled out of the driveway I turned the steering wheel to the right, I heard a sound on the front drivers side. It didn't sound like clicking, more of a grinding sound. I suspected this was caused by the CV axle. I drove carefully and parked it in the garage when I got home. The new CV axle and wheel hub parts arrived this week on Tuesday. So I installed the parts and then test drive it. When I test drove the vehicle, I heard a distinct grinding sound when making a right turn. I am not sure it is the same exact sound I heard after installing the new rotor and caliper. However when driving straight or turning left there is no sound. Since I replaced multiple new parts (rotor, caliper, pads, dust shield, wheel hub and CV axle), I am wondering what is causing this sound? Is it the rotor or CV axle? I am suspecting the rotor or caliper but I am not sure. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I replaced the brakes on my `11 a few weeks ago and I think i had to unclip a sensor wire from the brake line so I could move the caliper. Maybe you did the same but forgot to reattach the sensor wire and now it's rubbing on something?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip bruker. I didn't unclip the sensor wire, I just hung the caliper from the suspension spring using an old rubber tarp strap. I am pretty convinced the noise is coming from the new caliper and rotor; not the CV axle. I pulled off the wheel and examined both rotor, caliper, inside of the wheel, CV axle and bottom of the shock where the CV axle passes through. I did not see any scrapes. So I am not quite sure what is scraping when making a left turn. I did read a post titled Metal on Metal on DodgeForum that suggested the caliper is rubbing on the inside of the wheel because of heavy braking but this doesn't fit my problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Beginning last week I replaced the rotors, ...... I am suspecting the rotor or caliper but I am not sure. Does anyone have any ideas?
Hi. I have what might be the exact same problem. I have a sound that i hear repetitively every couple seconds that gets louder as I drive faster, its especially noticeable at highway speeds, gets louder when turning right, gets lower when I turn left, and I mostly hear the sound, but can also I feel the repetitive vibration through the accelerator pedal.

I suspect its a wheel bearing in the front driver side wheel. I have not taken it to the dealer yet. I only noticed it about a week ago. Did you ever find a cause?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi rallyrcr, we may not have the same issue. In my case the sound is only present when turning right. When driving forward or turning left I do not hear the sound. In your case, if the sound was caused by a bearing I suspect the sound would be more frequent than every couple seconds and the frequency would increase as your speed increases. If it is a bearing I suggest not driving the vehicle until you replace the bearing. About 35 years ago I had one seize on me while on the freeway. Not fun!!

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
1,452 Posts
Is it possible the "Splash Shield" is bent a little and close enough to the rotor that it touches when turning? If so prying the shield back away from the rotor might do the trick.

I've seen this happen on other Chrysler/Doge/Jeep vehicles.

The Splash Shield is item #13 in the diagram below.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts