Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just my GPS or has anyone else come to the conclusion that the GPS is not very smart, in fact I would say that she is very dumb. My navi server version is 9.10.2.337961. Where do I check for available updates? I have had my D for about 4 weeks and I am not impressed with the GPS among other things. I have to rely on my iPhone maps to get where I am going. Is there a setting that I have to enable for it to work correctly?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have not yet had a GPS that isn't dumb...Personally I think they're paid by Dunkin Donuts to take the longest way possible past the most dunkin donuts...

·
Registered
436 Posts
My 2004 D doesn't have any kind of Nav but my Magnum does...and it sucks, too. Not only does it suck, they always wanted around $250 just to get an updated DVD. From everyone that I talked to who got the update, it was pretty much worthless. They saw no improvement. It sucks AND it's a rip-off.

That being said, anecdotally speaking, I've never heard anyone brag about how great their built-in Nav system is, no matter the brand of car.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
My Garmin Nuvi sounds much better, that and it has traffic updates!

·
Registered
17 Posts
You have the Dunkin donut router on yours ....seems i have the denny's version on mine... had the navi and my cell phone going at same time and the Navi system wanted to take me 5 miles out of the way to get where i was going...That had 2 denny's on that route difference ... LOL

·
Registered
230 Posts
Is it just my GPS or has anyone else come to the conclusion that the GPS is not very smart, in fact I would say that she is very dumb. My navi server version is 9.10.2.337961. Where do I check for available updates? I have had my D for about 4 weeks and I am not impressed with the GPS among other things. I have to rely on my iPhone maps to get where I am going. Is there a setting that I have to enable for it to work correctly?
I believe that there are some settings you can alter in the navigation menu to help avoid toll roads/ pick alternate routes...stuff like that.

·
Registered
305 Posts
What seems to be the issue? I just travelled 1500 miles and could not fault my navi. My only complain so far is that it doesn't display mph. It is a upper scale Garmin based GPS.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My wife would love this thread! She is convinced that the GPS lies to her and takes her on frivolous routes avoiding her real destination :lol:

·
Registered
171 Posts
I guess I'm one of the few that likes their navi. It's been working great for me. Having it tied into the Sirius traffic has been worth it's weight in gold.

·
Registered
221 Posts
What seems to be the issue? I just travelled 1500 miles and could not fault my navi. My only complain so far is that it doesn't display mph. It is a upper scale Garmin based GPS.
So far I don't have any complaints with the Nav system but I haven't really depended on it on a trip or in a unfamiliar location yet. I have it set up to display speed and to warn me if I exceed the speed limit by more than 10 MPH. If I recall, there is an "Options" button on the Nav screen to set up these preferences.

·
Registered
29 Posts
By default, mine was set to reroute automatically based on traffic. It seemed to take some really obscure ways to get places and I think it was mostly because of that. I recently changed a few of the settings and feel that it is working better, but haven't really tested it out too much. Before, the fiance would call and say "The GPS is taking me really strange ways" and "The GPS got me lost". Let's hope the settings changes allow me some peace when she is driving somewhere on her own.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I thought that option is a warning not speed indicator! I'll try it.
It shows you the speed limit of the road you are on in the bottom right corner. It has options to verbally warn you if you go over the posted speed limit and you can increase the threshold by which it warns you. It's a neat feature, probably better than having to put in a radar detector for my lead foot.

·
Super Moderator
12,824 Posts
On long trips I often run both the in-dash nav and my Garmin.. for me it's a tossup.. the Garmin has lifetime free map updates, so it tends to be more up-to-date.. but the routing is about the same..

In less populated areas, the in-dash does better with traffic rerouting; the garmin broadcast-radio-based traffic often has no signal (this was the case on the way back from carlisle; the in-dash rerouted around a major crash on I84, which the garmin never saw..)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
While trying to go down a straight street portion of my journey, my navi tells me to turn off on some obscure street, go down a street and then get back on. It wanted me to do this about three times on the same straight street that I could see all the way down because there was no traffic. Also, one of the major streets here in Fort Worth that has been here for years is a right lane split from the highway, the navi wants me to take that street but tells me to stay left, stay left. I have tried different settings and still this navi is the dumbest!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
You have the Dunkin donut router on yours ....seems i have the denny's version on mine... had the navi and my cell phone going at same time and the Navi system wanted to take me 5 miles out of the way to get where i was going...That had 2 denny's on that route difference ... LOL
I think mine has the ghetto router. I live in a Chicago suburb and I am currently at a client on the north/west side of Chicago. It continually takes me through the worst neighborhoods in Chicago in order to "avoid" traffic.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts