Dodge Durango Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Durango GT Plus AWD
75 Posts
Sorry to see that! Hope both you and your wife are ok. I remember several years ago getting a call from my wife on a Friday night about 5:30 pm while I was at work. She was driving our newer Grand Caravan at the time with my son and a friend who were about 10 years old at the time. Some knucklehead from out of town was on the tollway rushing to get to the airport, not paying attention as traffic slowed due to rush hour. He hit her doing about 45 - 50, while she had slowed to about 5 mph, along with everybody else. I remember rushing to the scene as she was being transported via ambulance due to neck/back injuries, and I wound up taking the kids, who were scared but unhurt, home. I went back to the scene, as a friend watched the kids. While the van was barely drivable, insurance was very optimistic about fixing it, until I got under it in our driveway. Like yours, the driver's door was out of whack, and the sliding door was buckled. But, underneath, the rear frame cross member was twisted like a pretzel, along with the frame running on driver's side. I told insurance company no matter how many man-hours, and how much $$ they threw at it, I DID NOT EVER WANT TO DRIVE IT again. the next day they flat bedded it to their estimate shop, and quickly called - NO BUENO! Totaled.

While my wife did retain an attorney, by the time the lawsuit progressed and concluded, she didn't get that much. She still has permanent back damage, and has had handicap plates since. Hoping you have a better outcome.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sorry to see that! Hope both you and your wife are ok. I remember several years ago getting a call from my wife on a Friday night about 5:30 pm while I was at work. She was driving our newer Grand Caravan at the time with my son and a friend who were about 10 years old at the time. Some knucklehead from out of town was on the tollway rushing to get to the airport, not paying attention as traffic slowed due to rush hour. He hit her doing about 45 - 50, while she had slowed to about 5 mph, along with everybody else. I remember rushing to the scene as she was being transported via ambulance due to neck/back injuries, and I wound up taking the kids, who were scared but unhurt, home. I went back to the scene, as a friend watched the kids. While the van was barely drivable, insurance was very optimistic about fixing it, until I got under it in our driveway. Like yours, the driver's door was out of whack, and the sliding door was buckled. But, underneath, the rear frame cross member was twisted like a pretzel, along with the frame running on driver's side. I told insurance company no matter how many man-hours, and how much $$ they threw at it, I DID NOT EVER WANT TO DRIVE IT again. the next day they flat bedded it to their estimate shop, and quickly called - NO BUENO! Totaled.

While my wife did retain an attorney, by the time the lawsuit progressed and concluded, she didn't get that much. She still has permanent back damage, and has had handicap plates since. Hoping you have a better outcome.
Man sorry to hear about your wife, I hope our attorneys can do better, especially if she has long-term effects.

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT 392
1,180 Posts
Wow the racetrack tailight can handle a rear end collision and still function but god forbid it gets wet, it will break. LOL

FWIW I do not think ti is totaled. I am guessing 20k worth of work and if it is an SRT then insurance will fix it.
First, hope he is ok. Second, it’s probably totaled. My 2014 RT was hit in the rear and pushed into the car in front. Mostly cosmetic damage, but the bill was $12k. That looks much worse.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry to see that! Hope your wife has no lasting effects. My wife was rear-ended in our 2015 Durango Limited last summer. The damage was not as bad as yours, and it was totaled. We feel your pain!

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Hopefully, the DDA has good insurance. If he/she was driving a beater though, probably not. As long as drunk driving continues to be socially acceptable, we will suffer from it. Beyond that, penalties and sentencing are pretty much a joke.
Just south of me down in Kentucky, back in 1988, there was a terrible school bus involved DUI crash. The drunk, who was a repeat offender, hit the bus head on, IIRC. 27 riders perished in the crash/fire. The DDA, after 9.5ish years behind bars, has his freedom, and walks among us. It makes my blood boil, to think that each one of the lives lost, was valued at 3.5 months! Sickening................

Don

Reactions: Smitty73

·
Registered
44 Posts
Glad you guys are ok, relatively speaking - could've been much worse.

As far as the vehicle goes, these days it doesn't take much to total one. Everything is a crumple zone. Fancy way of saying they're built slightly stronger than a beer can, and not much more. Great for bodily injury claims, bad for the owner's wallet. With no frame, once they tweak, they're done 9.9 times out of 10.

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
The crumple zones are there to absorb/direct the crash energy around and away from the passenger compartment. Years back, the cars survived, but the occupants did not. When they did, they took a terrible beating. The ever increasing CAFE requirements our government imposes, push car makers to reduce weight, and yet find ways to keep things strong enough to protect occupants.

Don

Reactions: Smitty73

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The crumple zones are there to absorb/direct the crash energy around and away from the passenger compartment. Years back, the cars survived, but the occupants did not. When they did, they took a terrible beating. The ever increasing CAFE requirements our government imposes, push car makers to reduce weight, and yet find ways to keep things strong enough to protect occupants.

Don
Reduce weight? Cars have gotten heavier over the years, not lighter.
And for the most part it's due to all of the safety equipment required.

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT 392
1,180 Posts
Did the drunk driver have insurance? Pretty sure it's illegal to drive without insurance in your state.
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to drive drunk too. Did that stop them?

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
@CaptMoe:
Vehicles have gotten heavier. They have also grown in size, and complexity. My point, was that they would weigh even more, if not for manufacturers efforts to trim weight were they can, by using lighter materials.

@ At RLM:
I did not say that crumple zones were related to weight loss, or gain. They are there for occupant safety, and survivability.

Don

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yep, they've become heavier ... but individual components have become LIGHTER. Easier to bend / break. Otherwise a modern car would be over 3 tons with all the bundles of wiring, computers, air bags, and extra bracing required to protect the cab.

My '72 El Camino weighed 3,900 lbs. with me, a passenger, and jackets & helmets from my buddies that were on bikes (mine was broke down that day - a Honda, no less).

21 - 40 of 47 Posts