Dodge Durango Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
I transport dogs (way more often than ppl) and felt the 2rd row chairs with the hole in the middle ruined the backseat for that purpose. The console lid does flip forward and somewhat mitigates the issue.
For me it was just easier, cheaper & more convenient to skip the whole captians chairs bit & get the 2rd row bench, which is what I ordered & it fits my needs perfectly.

I wish there had been an option to delete the 3rd row on the R/T as I will never actually use those seats, but could have used the storage bins :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm a dog person, too, and haul my Dobes much more than people. My '19 GT+ came with the 2nd row captain's seats and I hate them. The dogs can't stretch out and get comfortable, I leave the 3rd row seats down, but 3 Dobermans cannot lay in that space without being fussy with each other. I'd much rather have had the 2nd row bench seat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Personally I’d go with the bench. The arm rest folds down and has cup holders, and you have seat back pockets to store stuff. The kids are going to fill the console with garbage anyhow. It will save you the aggravation of opening it up to the waft of the “leftovers” that they put in there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having had a '18 with the bench & now a '19 with the captains' chairs - the bench was the winner - for multiple reasons.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Heated comfortable rear seats in the back is the way I went. If you are in your kid years I would vote on the bench. Went through several times of just needing one more seat when "extra" kids are standing there when I showed up to pick up mine. Would have been much easier to not have to get out and put the 3rd row up. I did also run into several occasions where the back was full of luggage and we needed one more seat or at least it would have been nice to haul a cousins, aunt and uncle. We pull a camp trailer as well and when taking friends it limits us down to having 1 extra seat because the back is always packed full. Of course when I have sit back there I never am disappointed with the choice of the big nice seats!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wow, I feel really stupid. Another reason why I really like these forums. I thought I looked through the owners manual really well. 2016 R/T I will use that feature all the time.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I wanted the bench so I could have 7 passenger capacity (as originally, erroneously, advertised). But the options were (and are) 5 passengers with the bench or 6 passengers with the captains chairs and the third row.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So I have an 18 RT with the bench. And boy am I PISSED. Not because I hate the bench- I don't. It's incredibly handy and great for when I have my German Shepherds and cattle dog. I wanted as flat as possible. My 2 door Jeep just got too tight- and too overly built (rock crawler) to be my DD anymore. I wanted the SRT but since the Durango's main purpose was space I couldn't justify all the extra money for an SRT.
PISSED because at least two dealers had NO idea that flipped forward. I mentioned it several times. I don't think it would work- it's still open right? So a pooch could just stick their paws on it? Is there some sort of cover for when the lid is flipped forward? I am still pondering an SRT on trade.
For the record I've had my INCREDIBLY picky in-laws in the rear bench on 8 hour long road trips a couple of times, along with several groups of friends on that rear bench. No complaints. For both the money and the model I don't regret it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For the dog owners- my Canvasback set covers are OUTSTANDING. Love them. Fur vacuums off far easier than the crap carpet. (AKA fur velcro.) The Durango is my "truck" and I've carried umpteen loads of (bagged) dirt, plants, small trees, 2 X 4s, gutters, wood paneling and all sorts of crap. One year later it still looks brand new. If only I have covered the center glove compartment. Just scratched it to crap with a wood lattice panel. DOH

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I have had the Canvasbacks in my last two JGCs and absolutely love them. I will be ordering one for the DDSRT before it arrives.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I too highly praise the CanvasBacks, they are worth their weight in gold. It was one of the 1st things I did because of the very weathered looking carpet our 2014 had when we traded it in for our 2018. If you haul things even once you'll see the benefits these provide, and like JeepherzRT said, they are very easy to clean, which comes in very handy for those of us that have kids and dogs.

Going back to the center console, dealership salesmen are notorious for not knowing things, even when they sell a ton of them. I usually know far more than a salesman does, probably because I'm an enthusiast, but more because I do my homework as much as I can beforehand.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
I too highly praise the CanvasBacks, they are worth their weight in gold. It was one of the 1st things I did because of the very weathered looking carpet our 2014 had when we traded it in for our 2018. If you haul things even once you'll see the benefits these provide, and like JeepherzRT said, they are very easy to clean, which comes in very handy for those of us that have kids and dogs.

Going back to the center console, dealership salesmen are notorious for not knowing things, even when they sell a ton of them. I usually know far more than a salesman does, probably because I'm an enthusiast, but more because I do my homework as much as I can beforehand.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
Agreed- we are the same way. Yet that little tidbit eluded us. I am in sales also- you'd think you'd know all the ins/outs of upselling a $10K extra model. We were told you could ONLY get Captain's chairs in the SRT. And that custom ordering (if possible) would take ages with that option. Trying to get an RT with the bench and the options we wanted was also tough. Most of the RTs had captain's chairs. We shopped a ton so I'd have to guess we had this same discussion with at least 3 dealers. However this is a CDJR product. And they suck so I shouldn't be surprised.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts