Administrator
28,310 Posts
Me likey, but I think I'll pass on riding in the back. lol
Steve
DOC Pres

·
Registered
646 Posts
Wow! Even Law Enforcement is taking in by the Durangovan? what's this world coming too??

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
They say what's under the hood?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd drive that everyday for work, oh yeah!

·
Administrator
28,310 Posts
Wow! Even Law Enforcement is taking in by the Durangovan? what's this world coming too??
Stop being Silly and ask your girlfriend if you can get one!

SOmetimes I wonder why all the wasted energy on being negative(not you above)
They say what's under the hood?
EXACTLY...THIS AINT YOUR MOMMAS MINIVAN

I'd drive that everyday for work, oh yeah!
THAT WOULD COMPLETE YOU ..WOULDN't IT?

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
This D is a Special Service vehicle, and is not pursuit rated per se. You can take any vehicle and put lights, sirens, and markings on it, but should there be a crash involving that vehicle rest assured the lawyers will point out that the vehicle was being used outside of its intended purpose.
This opens up the coffers of the owning entity of record to lawsuit city.
It takes a lot of R and D above and beyond what is done for an everyday run of the mill vehicle to construct it such that a wide range of drivers with varying levels of driving skill can blast down the highway at 130 mph and do so safely.
Clint Eastwood said it best when we said that a man's got to know his limitations LOL!
Don

·
Administrator
15,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don, there are a lot of Gen2s and Gen3s here as Sheriff and local PD. And I know Dodge has an entire package for Fire & Police on the Charger and the Durango. I think that 'rating" thing may have changed.

IndyD

·
Administrator
28,310 Posts
There is a Gen 3 D police car in the next town over. Hemi Crew with steel wheels and performance tires

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Indy:
My comments are based upon what I have learned and witnessed in the 15 years I have attended the yearly Michigan State Police vehicle evaluations. The data I speak of is here:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/VehicleTestBook2013-sm_406312_7.pdf

MSP is the generally accepted authority for the Midwest and East coast. The LA County Sheriff's Department is the West Coast counterpart as they can evaluate such vehicles in the extreme heat that Michgan cannot.

We all know that exotic vehicles like Porshe, Mercedes Benz, BMW etc, are built from the git go to be run hard and stretched to their limits, although few of them are on a routine basis. Such cars are also way beyond the price range of what taxpayers would accept.
The reason we see our Durango's and other vehicles on the road as marked units is probably due to a good bid price in that region, or maybe the departments vehicle purchaser is a "Chrysler" fellow.
I the case of the AWD Dodge Charger which is not currently offered in a police package, enough departments have put the civilian version out as a marked unit that Dodge is supposed to have just that in a pursuit package at MSP this Fall for evaluation.

Since you are in an automotive related industry, you ought to come up to Michgan this Fall and see what it is all about. Once you see how they are driven on the road course and smell the hot tires and brakes, I can say it is an eye opener.
Should you be able to hang around for a "hot lap" or two as passenger on Monday, I guarantee the smile on your face will be worth it!
I recommend the Caprice, Tahoe PPV, and the Charger.
Going through a road coarse with blind hills and elevation changes in the 5000+ pound Tahoe is a hoot!

Don

·
Administrator
15,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yea, that same Michigan setup ran an initial review of the Durango in 2011.
Dodge Considers Durango, Ram for Officers - Vehicles - POLICE Magazine

Here is the Dodge Durango SSP
http://www.sspcentral.com/library/dodge_durango.shtml

Here is the Dodge Durango SSV
https://www.fleet.chrysler.com/fleetcda/portal?pageid=bcbc92bde0536310VgnVCM100000e9261c35RCRD&sectionid=fb66cce1be7f5110VgnVCM10000091f4e735RCRD&ptitle=Durango Special Service Vehicle

Car and Driver
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2012-dodge-durango-special-service-photos-and-info-news

There are a whole lot of sources and entries for anyone to be worried about a lawsuit from a non-preparred vehicle. It isn't like they are talking a Durango off the lot. I'm guessing Dodge's SSV and SSP packages are the difference and available special order.

Solves the question about why there are so many around nowadays.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes They Do,,, I have the Police suspension on my D and it lowers 1.75 in after a certain speed. its pretty awesome.

·
Administrator
28,310 Posts
Where was that spec listed? I do not believe that exist on any D. You have an R/T so it sits 20mm lower from the factory but I dont believe it drops 1.75" more when driving.
Nice ride though
STEVE

·
Super Moderator
12,605 Posts
The only way I can see that it could drop ride height is if it has some variant of the GC's quadralift. You'd quickly be able to tell, because there would be an air hose going into the top of the front shocks. Even QL only drops 1.5" from NRH (normal ride height) for "entry/exit".. so dropping 1.75 seems a bit much..

Well, I guess the other possibility would be the GC SRT's active suspension, but that seems VERY unlikely.. and I doubt that has anywhere near 1.75" of drop.

Edit: looked at the parts catalog for the 2012 police durango (I don't have access to 2013 yet), and the front shock absorbers are just garden-variety "sport" shocks.. no mention of any ride-height-adjust capability.. so unless yours has been modified by a third party, something seems wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
i have one of three D in the US like it. when i built my D there was a glitch in the system and i got two packages that are not readily available for our trucks. the srt8 trans and the police suspension. the dealership has been trying to buy my truck back from me for a year now. the last offer they gave me was 60k

·
Super Moderator
12,605 Posts
can you go to dodge.com -> owners and get a build sheet for it?

That would be very VERY interesting.. and historically important..

...tom

·
Administrator
28,310 Posts
The SRT 8 in 2013 had the same 6 speed as the rest of us. The police suspension is the RT suspension. Take a pic under the hood and take a pic under the car of front suspension.
Yeah post the Build sheet when you get it.
STEVE

·
Registered
139 Posts
I will be glad too, once I get it back from the body shop. Some jerk decided to wait until the last minute to turn out in front of me. His insurance is covering everything thankfully. Including the linex BullBar and halos

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts