Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the place to collect all experiences, data and ideas on gen-III powertrain mods (CAIs, tuners, TBs, fuel-line-magnets, leaf-blower-superchargers, whatever)

Seriously, though, this should be the technical thread that collects everybody's efforts and results. It would probably be useful to take detailed discussions on things like "should I paint my CAI blue?" etc into another thread, just to try to keep the discussion here focused.

Reactions: Dodgeboyz

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a Mopar CAI and a Fastman TB (not oversized l)
I feel they where both worth the money. I would recommend a CAI first or at the same time.
They both play off each other pretty well.
I came from a 6.2 Escalade and feel with these mods I am more inline as far as acceleration with the Escalade...jm2c
A tuner would be the next best thing to do and would probably increase the TB and CAI performance gains as well. (It feels like the torque converter holds back some performance now) I seem to hit or engage the transmission torque converter now after adding the TB. I'm not complaining though. But a tuner (at least the one I had for my old SUV) allows you to increase (or decrease) the Transmission torque converter strength for lack of a better word.
I would like to hear from others or anyone who has a tuner and let us know how it's working out...

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
2013 Durango R/T
Fastman TB
Mopar CAI
Magnaflow full cat back back exhaust
Billet technology catch can
HEMIFEVER DIABLO TRINITY TUNER (Currently running 93 Hemifever Tune)
180 Thermostat
TQ management reduced considerably with tuner
Complete custom tune including shift point changes and increased timing
All complaints about truck prior to tune are gone and I didnt have many.
Truck is way more responsive and with traction control turned off its a Beast out of the hole.
Truck needs a different TQ converter if I was to desire to Drag race but for what I use it for it's a Great Open Road SUV that can still get 22mpg cruising at 75-80 mph
STEVE

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
CAI will make a difference and even give the stock exhaust a better tone
Diablo Tune Buy it from HemiFever AKA Sean Powell and he will set you up with his custom tunes
180 T stat
Catch Can a must. All that oil that it collects besides building up i the intake mixes with the Air fuel charge and drops the fuels octane further reducing power by the computer knocking back the timing a bit.
Exhaust, Corsa is coming out with a nice Cat back any day.
Throttle body.

I am still stock exhaust and no throttle body but all the others i have done and it really wakes up the Durango. I just did RI to LI 190 miles each way and a little Stop n go in LI and a l few burst slightly above the legal limit. :rolleyes: 21.7 MPG on the computer but did 421 miles on the tank took 20.2 gallons 20.84 MPG

·
Registered
122 Posts
So far I'm running a Volant CAI, BT catch can, Gibson exhaust and HemiFever tune on a Diablo DCX. I have a 180° stat to go in as well as an Edge racing 3200 stall convertor. From a bang for the buck upgrade path the convertor seems to come up as a suggestion often but to my knowledge nobody has tried it yet. Hope to have some results for that this weekend.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is it possible for someone to post pics of their catch can install with a step by step? I have one from a previous vehicle, and would like to install. I have K&N CAI and considering the upgraded TB.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Is it possible for someone to post pics of their catch can install with a step by step? I have one from a previous vehicle, and would like to install. I have K&N CAI and considering the upgraded TB.
Remove the short hose and save it. Route the lines form the 2 locations down in a loop by the alternator and buy the bracket that uses the 2 holes on the computer mount.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
2011 Durango 5.7 Crew AWD
American Racing Headers 3/4" x 3", high flow cats, with their full cat back 3" exhaust, K&N CAI, Moe's 87 mm ported throttle body, Diablosport DCX i1000 running custom Hemifever (Sean) 91 octane tune. Haven't put it on the dyno yet because I live at 5200' above sea level. Will probably do it soon though just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
'11 Crew 3.6 with AFE intake as only powertrain mod..

have not had it on that long but defanately better sounding.

As far as gas mileage goes, I think it helped a little... maybe 1-2 mpg... but I lose the added mileage when I punch it on the on-ramps! :cheesy:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Guys with the full exhaust, headers and tb's...

Has anyone given you a ballpark on your hp gains?
Currently K&N CAI and Diablo Tune
Future Corsa Exhaust & American Racing Long Tube Headers

Once completed I'm looking at the Hemifever Tune...

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
All that probably gets us about 30-40 RWHP
STEVE

·
Registered
116 Posts
2011 Durango 5.7 Crew AWD
American Racing Headers 3/4" x 3", high flow cats, with their full cat back 3" exhaust, K&N CAI, Moe's 87 mm ported throttle body, Diablosport DCX i1000 running custom Hemifever (Sean) 91 octane tune. Haven't put it on the dyno yet because I live at 5200' above sea level. Will probably do it soon though just out of curiosity.
This is very similar to what I am looking at doing. How do you like the American Racing Headers? I have heard they are very good quality but a guy I know installed them on a different vehicle said he had a weld come loose. AR took care of it and made it right though. Is the exhaust system drone free? Also, why did you choose to go with the cats and not delete them? How is the sound level? I know its a lot of questions, I am just very curious as to your thoughts since I am on the fence. I was thinking either the AR headers or Stainless Works headers with the Corsa cat back, volant CAI, Diablo and dyno tune (maybe hemifever too to compare). Thanks in advance for your impressions on the AR system.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is very similar to what I am looking at doing. How do you like the American Racing Headers? I have heard they are very good quality but a guy I know installed them on a different vehicle said he had a weld come loose. AR took care of it and made it right though. Is the exhaust system drone free? Also, why did you choose to go with the cats and not delete them? How is the sound level? I know its a lot of questions, I am just very curious as to your thoughts since I am on the fence. I was thinking either the AR headers or Stainless Works headers with the Corsa cat back, volant CAI, Diablo and dyno tune (maybe hemifever too to compare). Thanks in advance for your impressions on the AR system.
I love my American Racing Headers!!! If you disable MDS in your tune you won't get drone. I still average 18 mpg as well and that's driving in Colorado. I have had them in my Durango since February without any issues. Oh and you cannot go wrong with Hemifever's tune!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is your setup pretty loud in & out of the D? Also, can you tell me your thoughts about going with the cats instead of the full delete?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts