Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 2014 D R/T, and the stock exhaust isn't bad, but I want something...beefier... I know there are some options on the market, but from videos I've seen, Flowmaster, Magnaflow, and Borla all sound subdued with their resonators and nonsense. I love the sound of Corsa, especially on the 5.7 engine. I emailed Corsa and they told me "we're looking in to exhaust systems for the Durango, but I don't have a time frame. Hopefully by summer (this year)." Anyone else have any interest in Corsa for their D?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Seems corsa gives the same response when asked about an exhaust for the 3rd gen D. Were working on it. Its on our list. Almost there. Blah blah blah.

Little confused why they don't make one but something tells me don't hold our breath on seeing one soon. I love the way they sound as well but what r ya goona do?

·
Super Moderator
2,274 Posts
I've seen responses from them like this on other boards since 2011. Not going to hold my breath.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So moral of the story then is to not get your hopes up then, I suppose. That sure is annoying. They make exhaust for some pretty arbitrary vehicles. Not sure why a D isn't one of them.

·
Registered
436 Posts
So moral of the story then is to not get your hopes up then, I suppose. That sure is annoying. They make exhaust for some pretty arbitrary vehicles. Not sure why a D isn't one of them.
I'm sure it's all about critical mass. If the demand gets to a point that it would be a profitable venture, they'll do it.

Also, they may already have that critical mass and truly are in development. I have personal experience with Corsa in this respect. When I got my 2005 Magnum RT, I wanted a system from them very badly but every time I asked (probably once per month), they'd reply with the same thing people have been posting here. But it wasn't even a year after I got my Maggie that they came out with one. I do know that part of the problem with that original system was that the MDS drone was giving them FITS. I talked with a guy who had a friend that worked in the Corsa engineering team and the word from him was that they built 11 muffler/resonator prototype combinations before they found one that gave them the sound they wanted and with the minimal drone they were going for. Those same mufflers/resonators would still sound good on our MDS 5.7s, but they may not physically fit properly under the vehicle which means they'd have to start that R&D process all over again.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly, I turn off the MDS unless I'm driving on the highway. I live in the city for college and even with the stock exhaust, when MDS kicks in at low speeds, it drones pretty ferociously. I understand that the process is intricate, but if they can make an exhaust for pretty atypical vehicles that you wouldn't think would have high demand, this shouldn't be an issue lol. I guess I'm just impatient. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed I suppose.

·
Super Moderator
2,274 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Eco mode doesn't control MDS, only transmission settings. Believe the only way u can turn off MDS is via a tuner.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty sure that Eco mode doesn't control MDS, only transmission settings. Believe the only way u can turn off MDS is via a tuner.
I guess it's purely coincidence when MDS activates, turning off eco mode restores to all 8 cylinders. Moral of the story is that MDS causes drone for me at low speeds with stock exhaust.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Honestly, I turn off the MDS unless I'm driving on the highway. I live in the city for college and even with the stock exhaust, when MDS kicks in at low speeds, it drones pretty ferociously. I understand that the process is intricate, but if they can make an exhaust for pretty atypical vehicles that you wouldn't think would have high demand, this shouldn't be an issue lol. I guess I'm just impatient. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed I suppose.
For what it's worth, the MDS drone you think is bad with your stock exhaust is infinitely better than what you get with a system that is not tuned to cancel those harmonics out. A very good buddy of mine has a hemi Magnum as well and he originally tried just sticking a set of Zoomers on his ride and then replaced it with a Borla 125 system and, ultimately, built a custom one from pieces/resonators/mufflers from several systems. I rode with him once when he had either the Zoomers or Borla system (I don't remember which he had at the time) and, at a certain low RPM range, it droned so badly it made my teeth hurt. If you've ever been to a car audio performance contest, the drone in that car was similar to a 75hz test tone being forced through a massive subwoofer at a couple hundred watts.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For what it's worth, the MDS drone you think is bad with your stock exhaust is infinitely better than what you get with a system that is not tuned to cancel those harmonics out. A very good buddy of mine has a hemi Magnum as well and he originally tried just sticking a set of Zoomers on his ride and then replaced it with a Borla 125 system and, ultimately, built a custom one from pieces/resonators/mufflers from several systems. I rode with him once when he had either the Zoomers or Borla system (I don't remember which he had at the time) and, at a certain low RPM range, it droned so badly it made my teeth hurt. If you've ever been to a car audio performance contest, the drone in that car was similar to a 75hz test tone being forced through a massive subwoofer at a couple hundred watts.
I've been to one, though I'll have to take your word about the specific, and if it's that level, I can see that being super irritating. I've had friend of mine suggest drilling my muffler, and that's not about to happen. Is it too much to ask for a louder exhaust without stupid tuned resonators and little to no drone? Haha.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree with what Hemisphere said. IMO, the best aftermarket exhaust for a vehicle with MDS is a Corsa. I had one on my 06 Charger R/T and not only was the sound amazing at WOT, but it had no drone when cruising on the interstate. I even had long tube headers and high flow mid pipes and still had no drone. Cruising on the interstate at a steady speed in MDS is when drone will really drive you insane. On my 09 Ram I had a DB exhaust by Corsa and it was great as well. Corsa really does their homework to ensure the drone is tuned out of their systems.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The weird thing is that they already have the system for the JGC. The Durango can not be that much different as far as the harmonics go. Yes, it is a little longer but you think it would just be a tweak of what was accomplished on the Jeep.

I wonder if you just can't buy the Jeep set and take it to a muffler shop to make the adjustments on the pipe lengths. This of course assuming the hangers are in the same locations.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I spoke to my local shop & they suggested getting a magnaflow - 15068 for $1200 & installation of any full system would be $200.

They said they could also get a flowmaster "american thunder" series exhaust 817564 for $999 - again 200 for installation.

The Corsa sounds better but I dont know if I want to wait for it. I am seriously thinking of getting the JGC & seeing if they could make it work but I bet it wouldnt be 100% correct in the end.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Magnaflow is my next choice but the Corsa sounds really nice. It's a shame they just don't give us a straight answer. Leading people along under the guise that it is just around the corner is not something I am very fond of. If you are not going to do it, just say so, and be done with it. Plus, going the JGC route will require some fabrication to get the rear end pipes in the right position so there is more cost added to what is essentially an experiment.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I spoke with one of their reps at the Corvette Bash a couple weeks ago in Kentucky and she said the same, that they should have it June or July. I'm going to keep after them since they will install it at one of the Corvette Events up there in August for free. I'm hoping they have it done as it is hands down the best sound. If I can get anything definitive, I'll post up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
New here...had some input that may help someone...at least if u were considering borla
or magnaflow

was holding out for a corsa for the last 12-18 months...
finally gave up and last summer installed a magnaflow catback...
A few weeks ago I swapped it out for a Borla catback..
Here's my personal feedback:

Magnaflow:
good overall sound, much fuller grumble than stock, great DEEP & low note at WOT and mellow deepish
sound when cruising...no noticeable drone ( i think Im mostly drone-immune anyway)
just a bit too serene/subdued for me, I wanted a louder and more "violent" sound for lack
of a better description. just wanted to more accurately harness that natural hemi sound
and amplify it! When u give no or light throttle its very quiet, just mildly louder. Really shines at WOT..

Borla:
there are NO Resonators on this kit so naturally this is much louder and really spits out more of a
raw hemi sound. when cruising no-throttle it can be pretty quiet, but giver her pretty much any amount of throttle
and its clear you have an exhaust and a big v8 engine and no resonators...
at WOT shes a beast....loud and distinct, to say the least..
not for the faint of heart..! ( and again i prob wouldnt know or be bothered by drone unless it hit me in the coconuts
but never have i found the sound to be painful or offensive...obnoxious maybe :)
but not offensive..

I think for a stock exhaust the R/T was more than adequate but if you want
to keep things quiet and clean but deeper, especially at WOT, but prefer to keep it under wraps when cruising go with MF...

If you want to hear your exhaust almost all the time, and like that classic muscle car sound and overaller louder more
attention grabbing sound, go with the Borla

not too sure about the other options like dynomax or flowmasters, havent heard them up close...
I know in videos the ARH catback+headers sound really nice together...but may be cost prohibitive
for many...

so if corsa came with a kit finally I would still consider it..but for now pretty happy with the borla

·
Super Moderator
2,274 Posts
Good feedback. Might we impose on you to post a vid of the borla with a few revs?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I emailed Corsa AGAIN. Unfortunately they didn't reply. I think they're getting tired of consumers complaining about the lack of exhaust haha. I was last told by summer, so I'm waiting until then. If I get nothing from them by the end of summer, I may go with the Borla. I believe they make an S-type for it. Or so I was told.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts