Dodge Durango Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I started with this;

Parts I used;

Double DIN bracket (used by models that came standard with NAV) 55056269-AD - $12.20+Tax from dealer
Bezel/Head Unit Surround (again, used by models that came standard with NAV) 1DK921D5AA $123.03 From Tasca (through Ebay) Nb this code is color combination specific, this is Silver/Grey
Gizmo to interpret Steering Wheel Controls PAC RP4-CH11 $74.99 + Tax from Crutchfield
Double Din install kit Free from Crutchfield due to buying the head unit there. I lied to thier tool and told them I had a Durango with Nav that way they believed that it would fit without further mods

Someone with more time/skill could probably hack away at the mounting bracket and bezel to avoid those costs. Also note that some eBay sellers bundle the bezel and the bracket, so worth looking for.

The process is very easy. I apologize in advance for the blurryness of some of these pictures. I took them with my cell phone since I forgot to take my camera out with me.

Step 1 remove two hex head screws from the top surface of the pocket area under the bezel. Looking up from the very bottom;

The slightly blurry cirxlish shape toward the bottom and slightly right of center is the head of the screw. There are two, one each side.

Step 2 pull very gently on the bezel starting at the bottom, be very gentle and don't pull too far, some of the wiring does not have much slack. Once all the clips come free angle forward slightly to get to the HVAC connections.

Yes that bottom cable is plugged into the rear of the 'blank' in the front of the bezel. There are a variety of clips on these connections. I was hoping to have captured them in at least one of these pictures, I apparently failed. But none of them were too complicated so I'm sure anyone doing this for themselves can handle it.

Set the bezel aside and unscrew the head unit from it's mounting bracket

One of the four already loosened in this image.

Pull it out gently and unhook the connections.

The antennae connection (image right) has a locking collar. I believe you have to pull on the collar to allow the cable to move, this was very stiff and I had to kinda push in on the cable too.

Remove the bracket.

Six screws for this, 4 obvious on the front, 2 in behind the wiring

Everything is now out.

If cutting, etc this would be the time. Otherwise install replacement bracket.

Move the HAVAC controls, little pocket thing, and the 'blank' to the new bezel

HAVAC at top had 4 screws, then 4 again in the back of the pocket. note the fake electrical connections. those with heated sets have their controls here instead.

From here reverse the removal steps

I ended up with this

Nice work! I am working on my 08 Durango with an updated stereo. It has an additional white connector harness on the factory stereo that I need to tap into. It has become a wiring nightmare. Will post pics soon....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok. so I upgraded my Aspen to a double DIN aftermarket stereo - a Kenwood DMX706s from a single DIN Pioneer unit that was in the SUV when i got it.

Lesson's learned:
  • If you have the center dash bezel with the funky half-moon circles, go ahead and buy a 2nd hand bezel for a navigation unit and don't try to cheap out (the bezels are < $100) and get one of those trim kits (I got a Scosche kit). It's a pain to get to fit properly. This youtube video accurately describes the process:
    . You have to do some dash interior surgery...
  • The 12v power outlet below the climate controls are a pain to remove - there are two small plastic clips reachable from the front that are very difficult to depress enough to remove the outlet so you can put an USB outlet there instead connected from the back of the radio.
  • It does look a lot better after it's done though :)
TBD:
* install backup camera (and front mounted camera as my unit supports both) - I'm not looking forward to that after having just installed one in my wife's car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started with this;

Parts I used;

Double DIN bracket (used by models that came standard with NAV) 55056269-AD - $12.20+Tax from dealer
Bezel/Head Unit Surround (again, used by models that came standard with NAV) 1DK921D5AA $123.03 From Tasca (through Ebay) Nb this code is color combination specific, this is Silver/Grey
Gizmo to interpret Steering Wheel Controls PAC RP4-CH11 $74.99 + Tax from Crutchfield
Double Din install kit Free from Crutchfield due to buying the head unit there. I lied to thier tool and told them I had a Durango with Nav that way they believed that it would fit without further mods

Someone with more time/skill could probably hack away at the mounting bracket and bezel to avoid those costs. Also note that some eBay sellers bundle the bezel and the bracket, so worth looking for.

The process is very easy. I apologize in advance for the blurryness of some of these pictures. I took them with my cell phone since I forgot to take my camera out with me.

Step 1 remove two hex head screws from the top surface of the pocket area under the bezel. Looking up from the very bottom;

The slightly blurry cirxlish shape toward the bottom and slightly right of center is the head of the screw. There are two, one each side.

Step 2 pull very gently on the bezel starting at the bottom, be very gentle and don't pull too far, some of the wiring does not have much slack. Once all the clips come free angle forward slightly to get to the HVAC connections.

Yes that bottom cable is plugged into the rear of the 'blank' in the front of the bezel. There are a variety of clips on these connections. I was hoping to have captured them in at least one of these pictures, I apparently failed. But none of them were too complicated so I'm sure anyone doing this for themselves can handle it.

Set the bezel aside and unscrew the head unit from it's mounting bracket

One of the four already loosened in this image.

Pull it out gently and unhook the connections.

The antennae connection (image right) has a locking collar. I believe you have to pull on the collar to allow the cable to move, this was very stiff and I had to kinda push in on the cable too.

Remove the bracket.

Six screws for this, 4 obvious on the front, 2 in behind the wiring

Everything is now out.

If cutting, etc this would be the time. Otherwise install replacement bracket.

Move the HAVAC controls, little pocket thing, and the 'blank' to the new bezel

HAVAC at top had 4 screws, then 4 again in the back of the pocket. note the fake electrical connections. those with heated sets have their controls here instead.

From here reverse the removal steps

I ended up with this

if I do this will my DVD player for the rear still work as it should?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am trying to install a double din in my wifes durango she has an 05 with the infinity system. I bought the PAC adapter because I was told i need that but i am not so sure, i have wired it up 3 times and each time go back to the factory radio because i can not get the amp to power on and play any audio.

Please help. I have read several forums searched google etc. with no luck :(
I had a similar issue with the PAC adapter....I put a double DIN radio in mine, with the infinity system....I will post a pic tomorrow. I had to call Crutchfiled who I bought it from and had him on the phone going over the wiring...the pics I had telling me how to do it didnt make sense. I wish I could tell you what I did, but its been a long time now that I did this.

For mine, I cut the existing silver plastic bezel to fit the size of the double DIN...so if I take out I need a new bezel..lol

I also left the plastic bracket the held the radio, and cut the back of it so it spread open to fit the new radio, I figured it would ok to hold the radio, and its been fine.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts