Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been able to, easily, find what size my gas tank is, anybody?

2017 R/T

The max I have ever been able to fill is 22 Gallons so there must be 1-2 Gallons more I assume?

Thanks

Preben

·
Premium Member
3,515 Posts
IIRC, Gen 1's are 25, the Gen 2's are 27, and for Gen 3 back to 25 (or 24.6) if you are picky.

Don

Reactions: DuRonbo

·
Registered
29 Posts
There's quite a bit in the fuel rails alone. I bet there's near a gallon in the fuel line and fuel rails combined.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2020 R/T and can get (with patience, due to the pump constantly clicking off) 22.5 gals ish at 1/4 of a tank. IK have found that when the pump handle clicks off I can get 2.5 gal more in the tank before risking spillage.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Be careful topping off the tank as the overflow can hurt the charcoal cannister and shorten its life...which leads to engine running problems. Not worth it, just fill until pump clicks off and stop there.

·
Premium Member
3,515 Posts
Demetrios:
Something to consider. That extra room you are working to fill is there for a number of reasons. A very important one is crash safety. In the event of a crash that would compress the fuel tank, the auto engineers have designed in a bit more room to hopefully prevent rupture, as well as fuel escaping the tank.

As Chase, says, topping off the tank is not good for the emissions system, and could possibly lead to a catastrophic event during what should otherwise be a noneventful crash.

Don

Reactions: bigunit54

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the delayed response and thank you all for this very good info!!!

Been on the road for a week and did 24.5 MPG over 780 miles of vacation type driving, not slow but also not spirited.
I'm pretty happy with this result! You might not remember but I complained this winter about not getting more that approx. 20 MPG
and the consensus was "winter gas". In the mean time I have added fuel injector cleaner to 3-4 tanks of gas so I think that might have
contributed a bit to my new and better results!?

Thanks again will not overfill again ever :)

Preben

1 - 11 of 11 Posts