Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with the capless gas filler on my 17. I have encountered several gas pumps that will pump for a few seconds and then the nozzle shuts off. At some stations I have no problems, but it happens on my DD, and not at all on other vehicles I have. Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I have the same problem at my local Valero. I'm thinking it might also have something to do with the angle the Durango sits at. If the gas station is on a slope (very small slope at my local station) and the fill nozzle is on the lower side I get the no pump reaction. Level or fill nozzle up I have no issue.

·
Registered
744 Posts
There are usually two preset lock positions on the hose handle. Every time I use the inner most, higher flow setting it does as mentioned above. When I use the outer lower flow setting on the hose it almost never happens. It just takes longer to fill the tank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue. I figured it was just air or something in the gas tank. Gas attendant said he's seen this happen with a ton of Durango's.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Same with me. Happens at different times. One night my regular speedway it keeps clicking on me, i need to pull the trigger 1/4 of the way and takes forever. A week later it fills up at full squeeze and then the other night it was popping off on me. Seems to only happen when its in the 20s and the wind is 40 mph. (JK it happens when the temp is higher just sucks when its cold)

·
Registered
145 Posts
It happens to mine once in a while, I insert the pump upside down and fuel that way with no problem

·
Registered
83 Posts
Guy I worked with told me its because the nozzle is going in too fast. I'll have to give that a try after work. Even though I don't need gas because im at 98% lol.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the same issue, I took a dealer tech with me to multiple stations to replicate the problem, the dealer replaced the filler tube under warranty . Seems to have solved the problem at most stations. The service advisor said that fca opened a star case to have engineers investigate, it is a known issue on DD and JGC models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Last vehicle was a 2008 chevy trailblazer... the only way to get gas at any station was to insert the nozzle upside down. On my 2015 Durango Limited, Flex Fuel model, I only have trouble when filling at Costco where they have the pumps running faster than most gas stations. The attendant saw me struggling and showed that if the nozzle is inserted all the way straight up and down, (it's necessary to compress the CA vapor recovery bellows so the pump works,) then tilting the nozzle by lifting the back, still keeping it straight up and down, the gas will go in even when the "hands free" latch is on high.

If I start having trouble anywhere else, I'll have the dealer check the float valve mentioned in the other threads. (For now, I'll keep buying gas at Costco to save $5 a fill-up by just holding and lifting the nozzle!)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having a problem with the capless gas filler on my 17. I have encountered several gas pumps that will pump for a few seconds and then the nozzle shuts off. At some stations I have no problems, but it happens on my DD, and not at all on other vehicles I have. Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue.

Thanks!
[/QUOTEAbsolutely Dodge is well aware of this issue. It’s been a problem for many years I just brought mine to the local dealership there is a fix that requires a tank to be dropped and a new filler neck piece to be put in which corrects the problem the only alternative to fixing this]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts