Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
As a lot of you know I complain about the Stupid Knob shifter in my 2017 Durango R/T. I missed out on a 2018 with a T Shifter by a few months when I picked up the R/T in July of 2017. The only thing I don't like about my Durango R/T is the stupid shift knob.
Fast forward to a week ago I got my wife a 2019 Charger SXT AWD in Plum Crazy Purple. No HEMI available in the AWD models. So she was slightly dissapointed but the 3.6L engine has plenty of power IMO for her. It's fun to drive and amazingly comfortable. I really like the car.
Back in 2017 right after I got my Durango We went to Livermore CA and stayed at Wente Vineyards for a nice get away trip. I rented a 2017 Chellenger R/T and had a blast driving it. I slightly remember the T shifter getting warm after driving for awhile but I just loved having it over the Shift Knob in my Durango.
So now with having the Charger for a week now and I have driven it several times I noticed how warm the T shifter gets. I'm old school and like to rest my hand on the shifter and where the Gear indicator is the Light inside warms the handle up to the point where I was getting slightly annoyed. If you keep your hand on the leather side to the right, it's fine but it feels better in your hand to grip that thing. But then you feel the heat from the Light and it kinda sucks.
I wonder if the bulb is a standard non LED? I wonder if anyone else noticed this and doesn't care for it? I also wonder if a build swap if that is possible would correct the heat issue.
My Wife likes it as she is always cold and in the winter I can see the warmth from it being a welcome thing even for me like a heated steering wheel. But during the summer months I kinda don't like it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just a thought, but you could probably put something like a custom leather wrap on it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a thought, but you could probably put something like a custom leather wrap on it.
It's a good thought as the custom leather wrap would just need to pass the glass through so you can see what gear your in etc. Something custom like that I'm actually surprised no one thought of that already.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Now I'm fairly new to the Durango world. I've only had mine a week and but I don't find the lights in the shifter to be that warm. Maybe it's because I'm from a colder climate or my lights don't throw as much heat. Also I've only been driving around town so no more that 30 mins behind the wheel. How quickly do you find it getting warm? How warm does it get? It also could just be the difference between the Charger and the Durango.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have been in my DSRT for a little over an hour now and was in and out over the hour before that. My shifter handle is basically the same temp as the rest of the interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
510 Posts
I've not noticed it on either the Durango or the Hellcat, but then everything here in FL is warm ..................

·
Registered
77 Posts
I haven't noticed the T shifter being warm either. I'm glad that Dodge got rid of the rotary shifter though. My parents have it on their Pacifica and I hate it. Thankfully my prior Durango, a 2013, had a vertical shifter too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't think that you're mental for thinking that it is getting warm. It's a subjective opinion and you are talking about a different vehicle. If we all drove your car and then still felt that it wasn't getting that warm then yes your mental faculties might be called into question, but I believe that your particular shifter is getting warmer. If you have access to an Non-contact IR Thermometer, you could always check to see just how warm it does get have a drive.

·
Registered
729 Posts
My 18' Charger 392 does get a little warm, but nothing to really worry about. I had a 16' AWD Charger for about a year that I traded in for my current one, I don't remember that one getting warm and it had the same shifter layout.

My 18' Durango R/T does warm up, but it's very minimal compared to my Charger. Not sure what the difference is, but neither one of my vehicles are anything I would worry about.

Overall, my idea of warm here is maybe a little higher than the temperature of my hand. Several times I though my hand is what caused it to get warm, because I always have my hand the T-Shifter. I grew up and drove nothing but manuals for years, so it's a natural place for my hand to sit.

Edit:

I had a 14' Durango with the rotary knob, and I absolutely hated that thing, so your not alone there haha!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've noticed the heat from he light as well,but like most here it's a non-factor. I rest my hand on the shifter more than the majority of my driving and can't say it's annoyed me once. Now that you mention it though you may have ruined me.

Not to be mean, but everyday I grab the shifter and go, I think about how shitty it must feel to turn the handle on the previous models. I'm not gonna lie, I had a good deal on another 2017 durango and after the test drive I decided the shifter was a deal breaker knowing I had an option in the 2018's on the lot.

The grill and hood didn't hurt either.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My 18' Charger 392 does get a little warm, but nothing to really worry about. I had a 16' AWD Charger for about a year that I traded in for my current one, I don't remember that one getting warm and it had the same shifter layout.

My 18' Durango R/T does warm up, but it's very minimal compared to my Charger. Not sure what the difference is, but neither one of my vehicles are anything I would worry about.

Overall, my idea of warm here is maybe a little higher than the temperature of my hand. Several times I though my hand is what caused it to get warm, because I always have my hand the T-Shifter. I grew up and drove nothing but manuals for years, so it's a natural place for my hand to sit.

Edit:

I had a 14' Durango with the rotary knob, and I absolutely hated that thing, so your not alone there haha!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I'll take the slightly warm T Shifter over the stupid Rotary any day of the week. My experience with the T shifter getting warm is minor. To me it's slightly uncomfortable after holding it for awhile as my hands are generally warm anyway. It's not like it needs to go back to the dealer and be looked at but I find it a strange design to put the shift indicator on the top of the shifter.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've noticed the heat from he light as well,but like most here it's a non-factor. I rest my hand on the shifter more than the majority of my driving and can't say it's annoyed me once. Now that you mention it though you may have ruined me.

Not to be mean, but everyday I grab the shifter and go, I think about how shitty it must feel to turn the handle on the previous models. I'm not gonna lie, I had a good deal on another 2017 durango and after the test drive I decided the shifter was a deal breaker knowing I had an option in the 2018's on the lot.

The grill and hood didn't hurt either.

I wish I also got a 18 over the 17. Car Play , the new steering wheel, the T shifter and the front end where all very nice upgrades from 17. Now that my wife has a Charger with CarPlay I'm finding that upgrade is on par with the T Shifter. The front end isn't that important to me as I feel that should have just been on the SRT so it has it's own look. The Steering wheel is another really nice upgrade. I like that it's thicker and has the bump outs I forget what they are called.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2018 GT and have not noticed the shifter being warm. You could try reducing the interior guage lights because on my 18 model, it also controls the door handle lights, cup holder lights and shifter. I don't have my display lights on the highest setting, so perhaps that is why my shifter is not hot (assuming your 17 has the same lighting setup).

Last, I'd much rather have a warm shifter than a rotary dial, just saying.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Ok, you're not crazy !! I noticed this weekend the T shifter on the Hellcat got noticeably warm after driving a while.
Will pay more attention to the Durango this week, but I'll bet it does too !

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, you're not crazy !! I noticed this weekend the T shifter on the Hellcat got noticeably warm after driving a while.
Will pay more attention to the Durango this week, but I'll bet it does too !
It sure does. I drove the Wife's 19 Charger and it absolutely after a while gets warm from the light inside of it. The Leather side stays cool but the indicator absolutely gets warm. It's not hot but slightly uncomfortable if you keep your hand on it while driving. I just think it's a poor design.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
Slowride77
Dodge Durango Forum
Welcome to the best Dodge Durango Forum around, where you can find a great Dodge Durango Wiki and discuss the reliability of the different trim levels including the GT and SRT!
Full Forum Listing