Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Does anyone know if a full size spare on a steel rim will fit in a 2018 Dodge Durango RT?

Riaz

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey all,

Does anyone know if a full size spare on a steel rim will fit in a 2018 Dodge Durango RT?

Riaz

A Full sized spare is included when you get the tow package, so I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to fit one down there. The tow package doesn't make any body changes, so it should fit fine. I have never done it though, so I can't guarantee it for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I just decided to go take a look.

The vehicle came with 265/50/20 stock.

You'd expect the spare to be the same 20?

Nope....it's 18. And it's the tow package to. Unless 18" is considered a full size spare. Maybe I'm missing something.

Photos attached.

R

·
Registered
14 Posts
It is a full size spare. It’s the total height of the tire with the rim, not just the rim. I agree it would be pretty amazing if they included a spare with the same rim as all of the others or at least a 20 in steel one.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
It would be seeing its the same diameter and not a temporary spare limited to 50mph....but seems its not really meant for 5 wheel rotation, more temporary use.
I guess good would be it should weigh less than a 20" wheel/tire.

Further shows me what a rip the factory tow package is on a Hemi D @ $995.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Tow package is a lot more than just a full size spare tire and a hitch!

bigger brakes, better transmission cooling, larger alternator, load levelling shocks, and an official 7200 lbs tow capacity which means insurance will be on your side in case of an accident with a trailer...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

bigger brakes, better transmission cooling, larger alternator, load levelling shocks, and an official 7200 lbs tow capacity which means insurance will be on your side in case of an accident with a trailer...
Yes, but doesn't the RT comes with all of that even if you don't get the tow package? My understanding is the only thing missing from the RT is the hitch itself, which is why paying $995 for the tow package on the RT is excessive.

·
Super Moderator
12,546 Posts
The "full size" spare is "full size" in the sense of not "compact limited use" .. it is not a "matching spare" which I don't think is available these days..

My '07:
TBWS - Full Size Matching Whl Spare Tire
TCG - P245/65R17 OWL All Terrain Tires
TZAP - Goodyear Brand Tires
WGX - 17" Aluminum Chrome Clad Wheels
WLZC - All Aluminum Wheels
My '14:
TBBS Full Size Spare Tire
TP5P P265/60R18 BSW AS On/Off Rd Tires
TZHP Michelin Brand Tires
WBLP 18X8.0 Polished Aluminum Wheels
WLBP Steel Spare Wheel
WLZC All Aluminum Wheels

·
Registered
3,978 Posts

Not with a Hemi Citadel or R/T...tow package is just a hitch and full size spare tire.
Only V6 engines get those upgraded parts.
Seeing the tow package option is the same price ($995) for either V6 or Hemi yet the only additions the factory makes to Hemi's is a Hitch and Full size spare, I'd say its a rip for Hemi owners and a bargain and must have for V6 owners if towing.

Hemi owners can easily add after the fact...V6's not so much.
That is the real difference here.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Not with a Hemi Citadel or R/T...tow package is just a hitch and full size spare tire.
Only V6 engines get those upgraded parts.
Seeing the tow package option is the same price ($995) for either V6 or Hemi yet the only additions the factory makes to Hemi's is a Hitch and Full size spare, I'd say its a rip for Hemi owners and a bargain and must have for V6 owners if towing.

That is the real difference here.
^ Agreed. That is why I insisted on finding a V6 model with the factory installed tow package when I went looking for my Durango.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Before I bought my Durango I read that all R/T’s come with a full size spare. So at least for an R/T the only components needed for a tow package were getting the harness and having it activated by the dealer and the hitch installed. And the hitch cover if you wanted it. Not even close to worth $995. $300 or so maybe.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was able to stuff a "full size" spare by modifying the white plastic holder. I needed a 295/45R20 non directional tire on a 20 x 10 Monkey Spider rim so it too would clear the Brembo calipers.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I was able to stuff a "full size" spare by modifying the white plastic holder. I needed a 295/45R20 non directional tire on a 20 x 10 Monkey Spider rim so it too would clear the Brembo calipers.
So that means SRT comes with run flats from the factory, correct?

·
Registered
86 Posts
^ Agreed. That is why I insisted on finding a V6 model with the factory installed tow package when I went looking for my Durango.
^ Trust me you would rather have the hemi than all that other stuff lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
You actually can't add the "Factory" hitch after the fact (At least not easily). So if you want the hitch after the fact you need to put on the bolt on hitch below the bumper. I would 100% prefer the in bumper hitch because it's higher and looks way nicer.

Of course $900 would be a bit much for that, so I would probably still end up going with the crappy hitch.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
You actually can't add the "Factory" hitch after the fact (At least not easily). So if you want the hitch after the fact you need to put on the bolt on hitch below the bumper. I would 100% prefer the in bumper hitch because it's higher and looks way nicer.

Of course $900 would be a bit much for that, so I would probably still end up going with the crappy hitch.
No, you can put the OEM hitch on with just a little work. You need to take the rear bumper cover off, but it's not that much work. Forum member SuperPete did a video of his install. He doesn't use the factory wiring, but you can see how easy it is to install the factory hitch.

https://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/dodge-durango-how-tos/19359-factory-hitch-install-video-tutorial-plus-wiring-install-instructions.html

·
Registered
616 Posts
^ Trust me you would rather have the hemi than all that other stuff lol
No if I want to drive a fast car, I will just drive my Corvette that day. I truly wanted the V6 Durango because of the better gas mileage (averaging 20-21 MPG with a 50/50 combined commute based on true calculations, not the overly optimistic dash readings) plus I did not need yet another "project car". If I had gotten the V8, then I would have been too tempted to start modifying it for even more power. Heck knowing me I probably would have tried to drop a Hellcat in the darn thing :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
No, you can put the OEM hitch on with just a little work. You need to take the rear bumper cover off, but it's not that much work. Forum member SuperPete did a video of his install. He doesn't use the factory wiring, but you can see how easy it is to install the factory hitch.

https://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/dodge-durango-how-tos/19359-factory-hitch-install-video-tutorial-plus-wiring-install-instructions.html
Well... That is pretty amazing actually. I thought you needed you had to do more work then that. Now I'm feeling bad about my crappy looking hitch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 14RT has a full size spare, same width and diameter as the 20” but with a taller profile since it’s on a 18” steel wheel. It’s a regular tire, not temp use only. You’re supposed to fit the disabled wheel in there so a matching 20” wheel as a spare should work. My question is for people who went with bigger tires. I switched to 275/55R20 and it’s a bit taller. What do you guys use as a spare and is there enough clearance? Having AWD I’m not sure about using the factory spare if I get a flat

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
13 Participants
SteveMLS
Dodge Durango Forum
Welcome to the best Dodge Durango Forum around, where you can find a great Dodge Durango Wiki and discuss the reliability of the different trim levels including the GT and SRT!
Full Forum Listing