Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Durango R/T 5.7 - Black w/blackout package
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see another thread on here yet for the newest fuel pump relay recall, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has gone through the process yet and if the dealer only changed the relay to a new one of the same type/model as previously installed (that is, if you had an external relay previously installed).

I got my recall notice a few weeks ago but haven't contacted my local dealer yet...…..mostly because I can't stand what they did to me the last time I was there.

Wondering if they got any smarter in this years-long process or not. Your replies are welcome and appreciated in advance.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I didn't see another thread on here yet for the newest fuel pump relay recall, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has gone through the process yet and if the dealer only changed the relay to a new one of the same type/model as previously installed (that is, if you had an external relay previously installed).

I got my recall notice a few weeks ago but haven't contacted my local dealer yet...…..mostly because I can't stand what they did to me the last time I was there.

Wondering if they got any smarter in this years-long process or not. Your replies are welcome and appreciated in advance.
The recall is an updated part from any temporary fix you may have gotten in the past. If you'd like any help with setting up an appointment, feel free to let us know.
You can also use any Dodge dealer since you weren't happy with your last visit.

Kaitlin
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
62 Posts
The recall is an updated part from any temporary fix you may have gotten in the past. If you'd like any help with setting up an appointment, feel free to let us know.

Kaitlin
Dodge Cares
Damn, Dodge on top of stuff.
My local Dodge dealership never answers the phone. LOL. Im in the midst of getting my Durango from overheating and then I will make an appointment to get the recall fixed.

But Im hoping its just a stuck thermostat and nothing else. I dont really dump a boatload of money into this vehicle after just having to deal with my moms funeral. UGH.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Kaitlin
Dodge Cares

Thanks for the response Kaitlin. The reason for my question is simple. If FCA is only going to replace our current external relays with the exact same part number from Omron, then I'm not going to go through all the hassle of making an appointment with my local dealership. I'll have to leave the vehicle for hours and tie up my wife getting me back home, all for nothing more than I can do myself since I have two (2) new Omron relays sitting on my garage shelf awaiting duty.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Damn, Dodge on top of stuff.
My local Dodge dealership never answers the phone. LOL. Im in the midst of getting my Durango from overheating and then I will make an appointment to get the recall fixed.

But Im hoping its just a stuck thermostat and nothing else. I dont really dump a boatload of money into this vehicle after just having to deal with my moms funeral. UGH.
If you'd like some help setting up an appointment, we are here!

Kaitlin
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you'd like some help setting up an appointment, we are here!

Kaitlin
Dodge Cares
I just actually spoke with them. They said they have a long wait and im #68 in line for this fix? Is that true that dealerships can only get 1 of these parts per week? Scranton Dodge Jeep just told me that at 10am

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just actually spoke with them. They said they have a long wait and im #68 in line for this fix? Is that true that dealerships can only get 1 of these parts per week? Scranton Dodge Jeep just told me that at 10am
They are on a restriction but it is more than 1 a week. Is there another dealer in your area?

Kaitlin
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
62 Posts
They are on a restriction but it is more than 1 a week. Is there another dealer in your area?

Kaitlin
Dodge Cares
Not anything close. There are 3 Dodge Dealerships within an hour of me. But one is only 10 minutes from me. And the other 2 are 45 minutes and 30 minutes. I can give the one a call tomorrow and see if they can do it any time sooner..

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2,049 Posts
Omron relay FTW!

Still have 2 laying around after I ordered them before my 2013 Citadel got totaled!

·
Registered
3 Posts

I don't have any meaningful addition to make to the this thread...yet. I made an appointment to have the relay recall done next week (Jan 21, 2021). I'll submit a report after the work is done. I have experienced what I think was the failure. My 2012 Durango refused to start, absolutely nothing when the starter button was pressed. It took several attempts before she fired up. No issues since that failure a couple of weeks ago. The Durango (112k miles) has been in the family for four years without any performance issues. It was my daughter's until she and her husband decided to get a 2018 GMC Yukon Denali XL. I paid off their loan and kept the Durango for myself, so it was not used as a trade-in and still in the family. (There is one issue that is bugging me and that's the TPMS. The right side rear doesn't seem to be working. It flashes '31psi' no matter what the air pressure is. I know there are an abundance of threads on the TPMS and I don't mean to hijack this thread into a discussion on TPMS).

Anyhow, back the relay...I had a failure in the Theft Deterrent Relay in my '98 Corvette. The contacts welded so the battery voltage was applied to the starter solenoid which kept the starter running. With no 'juice' to the engine, computer, fuel pump, etc, the car could not possibly start, the engine just kept turning over quickly draining the battery. All this happened while I was away from the car sitting in a restaurant. After a tow home and some troubleshooting the next day, I discovered the relay was the issue. I cut the relay apart and verified the contact was welded. Bottom line: I have spare for every relay used in the Vette and have them stuffed in its tool kit. Based on that experience and the Durango relay recall, I'll take a close look at spares for the Durango too.

·
Registered
2013 Durango Crew-Hemi-Leather Seats-Bought New-Garage Kept, Dealer Maintained
86 Posts
I have experienced what I think was the failure. My 2012 Durango refused to start, absolutely nothing when the starter button was pressed.
The relay issue simply shuts off fuel flow to the engine. The engine should still turn over when the start button is pressed. Just won’t fire. Or, maybe it will. Or, engine just shuts down while driving. Over time, the relay contacts become corroded and won’t allow current flow to the pump. When it became an issue on my Crew, I initially thought I had water in the fuel. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The relay issue simply shuts off fuel flow to the engine. The engine should still turn over when the start button is pressed. Just won’t fire. Or, maybe it will. Or, engine just shuts down while driving. Over time, the relay contacts become corroded and won’t allow current flow to the pump. When it became an issue on my Crew, I initially thought I had water in the fuel. Hope this helps.
OK, thanks for that input, I did not know
it was fuel flow and not related to turning the engine over.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Kaitlin
Dodge Cares
Just a heads up, had my V62 replaced 7Jan2021 with the new replacement part by dodge...to this day the issue is still not fixed. Car is still not turning over and takes a few times to start. You wonder if they did any further testing besides install the “fix”. Lost confidence in this brand.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes! Had mine done. (2011 5.7) Looks like the same relay housing but now has a standoff bracket that I don't remember being there before. Looks like a much cleaner install than what was removed.

(Also had 18-107-16 flash applied for fish-bite problem. Had to do a transmission quick learn when I got home to fully clear the problem.)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll put money on it that they are using the exact same relays, just replacing them with new once they fail again. This sucks. Nice fix FCA or Stellantis or whatever you are called now.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just a heads up, had my V62 replaced 7Jan2021 with the new replacement part by dodge...to this day the issue is still not fixed. Car is still not turning over and takes a few times to start. You wonder if they did any further testing besides install the “fix”. Lost confidence in this brand.
Have you gone back to your dealer? Feel free to send us a message with your VIN and dealer info we can discuss further.

Kaitlin
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
160 Posts
I got the mailer, called to set up an appointment for the repair to be made, and took it in this morning. When I got there the service center rep let me know they "would look at it to see if I was eligible" (WTF) and then would call me when a part was available. Dumbest process I've ever heard of, thanks for wasting 2 hours of my time.

I've had the issue with the windshield cowl creating a buzz but it had died down the past 6 months. Took my car through their complimentary car wash (I think they gave it to me because they knew it was idiotic to have me come in) and it brought the buzz back to life. Overall train wreck of a morning.

ETA- looks like the cowl buzzing is probably from them doing the brake booster recall. You have to remove the cowl to do it. Lets see how they respond.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got the mailer, called to set up an appointment for the repair to be made, and took it in this morning. When I got there the service center rep let me know they "would look at it to see if I was eligible" (WTF) and then would call me when a part was available. Dumbest process I've ever heard of, thanks for wasting 2 hours of my time.

I've had the issue with the windshield cowl creating a buzz but it had died down the past 6 months. Took my car through their complimentary car wash (I think they gave it to me because they knew it was idiotic to have me come in) and it brought the buzz back to life. Overall train wreck of a morning.
LOL...…...another inconvenienced customer. If you're gonna put out a damn safety recall you better have your shit together enough to actually act upon it when the paying customer comes calling. After all, it's the customer's who keep the ship afloat unless I have forgotten how a business works.

This is exactly why I haven't and probably won't do anything with this "recall" until I hear they have some sort of an actual good plan in place. Think about all those poor folks who have no idea to even ask these questions...……..they get taken for a ride every time.

Reactions: cchampagne232000

·
Registered
160 Posts
The only reason I acted on it so quickly is I'm having a symptom that may be related. When I go to start my car it sometimes simply does not respond or there is a delay in the response of a few seconds. So- turn the key, nothing happens, hold the key in the "start" position 1...2...3...engine turns over and car cranks. Doesn't happen every time, seems to be getting worse/happening more frequently, no other signs/symptoms of anything wrong with vehicle. Battery has been replaced within past 9 months. Seems like this could be related to the faulty relay draining the battery, but am not sure if I'm a victim of wishful thinking.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts