Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Durango. My sister's car and I'm trying to help her figure this thing out so it stops leaving her and her kids stranded. It sometimes won't start. Just cranks. Then given some time, it will start and go. Sometimes it happens while she is driving. Just loses power and stops driving. She will turn it off and then it won't start again. Electrical all stays on when that happens.

The problem would come up maybe once a month initially, but now it is doing it several times a week. She took it to the dodge dealer about the recall and they said it has been completed in their system. I put my multimeter on the fuse for the fuel pump and it has no power on either leg even with the vehicle running, so it appears it has been bypassed under the TIPM.

What should I do to test this thing? Could it be something else? Or is it possible that when they "fixed" it at the dealer however long ago that was, that they installed a component that may be failing in the same way as the original part?

Please, let me know what you think. Taking it in for service isn't an option unless they're going to cover it under the recall again. Just can't pay the dealer to chase a random problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to see about pulling the TIPM apart to see where they wired in a relay I guess. There is no power going to the fuse anymore, so they would have had to put some sort of bypass in.

·
Super Moderator
12,879 Posts
I don't have access to diagrams for the 2011, so I can't reverse-engineer the recall fix..

I'd plop a new relay in just for yucks, lots of folks here have had to do that..

Reactions: The'Rango

·
Registered
2 Posts
you are correct about the bypass, (i worked in a dodge dealership for 3 years) we would remove the tipm, cut the fuel pump relay wires and solder in an external relay with an external fuse, should be the orange wire coming from the left side of tipm (usually attached at the alternator input stud)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Started having the same problem with mine just 2 years after having the recall done, a new relay fixed it. It didn't get as bad as your sister's, but had several instances of long cranks, stumbling, and did die a couple of times while driving down the road over a 3 month period, and relay was really hot while running.
As someone else said, they have sent out a notice recently about recalling the recall but said they don't currently have parts available.
Relays are cheap so couldn'thurt trying it. Should be mounted somewhere near the tipm or beside the radiator.
This site isn't allowing me to attach pics right now.
You can check around here on the site and find posts about this issue with pics, that's how I sorted mine out...had forgotten about the recall until seeing it here.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
1,832 Posts
Does this help for the location of the external relay for the recall?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not so sure the relay is the root cause this time. Yes, the first recall corrected my issues with the vehicle not starting, but it started acting up a few months ago, and I replaced the relay with not only the exact part, but another manufacturer part, and then a solid state relay. My engine still dies while I am driving. Right now my Durango is sitting at a Dodge dealer and Dodge/Chrysler is apparently telling them not to try and troubleshoot it but wait for the parts for the second recall on the fuel pump relay issue. Maybe they know something we don't??? Either way, I am out a vehicle. The dealer was kind enough to give me a loaner and they have not asked for it back so I am willing to wait. It will be interesting to find out what the final fix for this issue really is.I heard that parts won't be available however until Q2??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd be interested to hear what happens with you here on this one. I haven't had the time to get to the durango, been out of town for work. If they would give her a loaner just the same, that would be fantastic, but this dealer here doesn't even want to talk to us about it due to no parts available.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any update on this from the dealer or anyone who found a fix? Replaced the relay and the vehicle still does the same thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In my case it turned out to be a flaky crank sensor. After months of screwing around, it finally set a code. Truck has run great ever since I replaced it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In my case it turned out to be a flaky crank sensor. After months of screwing around, it finally set a code. Truck has run great ever since I replaced it.
Interesting. I guess I could look into the cost and see about that. I just hate to throw money and parts at the wall and hope something sticks

·
Registered
83 Posts
What was exactly happening? Is it a V6 or a V8?

For me its like this, starts fine in the morning, drive for 20 minutes, turn the car off then start again after it cools down for an hour it gets stuck trying to start so i turn it off and it will start second try. If it cools down for 3-4 hours it starts fine first time.

posted a video in this thread

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have the WIN Module checked. My durango did the same exact thing and it took a month at the dealership and them driving it personally to figure it out. Its very rare apparently but every 300 miles or so it would shut off while driving. I hope this helps because it was a big pain!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Have the WIN Module checked. My durango did the same exact thing and it took a month at the dealership and them driving it personally to figure it out. Its very rare apparently but every 300 miles or so it would shut off while driving. I hope this helps because it was a big pain!
was it hard to start or only would shut off sometimes?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts