Dodge Durango Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

· Registered
2014 Durango RT 392
1,299 Posts
I'll be keeping an eye on mine. Just filled it last night when filling all my gas cans for my tractor. Out of curiosity, what kind of mileage is everyone experiencing this issue at?
About 31,000.

· Registered
60 Posts
my wife's fuel door acted up tonight for me. I had to press the button 3 times to get the door to actually pop open. I heard the typical opening noises on each of my first 2 tries, but alas the fuel door was closed and locked.

We are in a 2015, with 1400 miles on it. this is only the 3 time we've filled the tank. Ours is a lease, so I'm not concerned in the least about it.

· Registered
2014 Durango RT 392
1,299 Posts
Make sure the door is aligned. Mine was not which is what cause the issue for me.
Mine is very loose in the open position. It's like the hinge is only connected on the top. I'm sure this could cause misalignment issues.

· Registered
20 Posts
Next time it sticks look at the gap around the door. Mine was off by a tiny bit, but it was enough. Since I discovered this slight misalignment, every time I close the door, I make sure all is lined up. I have not had the door stick since.
Just picked up a used 2014 Durango that also has this issue :( I noticed the door not sitting evenly in the opening. However, even when closing it with everything aligned, it still does not want to open. Have to have someone push the release and then have someone pry the door. So frustrating!! Just talked to the dealer, as it was his wife's and he says she just pryed the door open without pushing the button...well thanks for the info in advance!! And how can you pry without releasing the latch. Grrr.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

· Registered
27 Posts
I just had the fuel door and spring replaced under warranty. The door would not pop open, so I used a credit card to pry it open. Another symptom was the fuel door was very loose when in the open position (felt like it was hanging on by a thread).

· Registered
20 Posts
I just had the fuel door and spring replaced under warranty. The door would not pop open, so I used a credit card to pry it open. Another symptom was the fuel door was very loose when in the open position (felt like it was hanging on by a thread).
Mine too!! Should push the dealer to replace this as it was broken when delivered to me :( He's a smaller used car dealer specializing in 4x4 trucks mostly. It's got 69k, so past the factory warranty for that :(

· Registered
3 Posts
Mine too!! Should push the dealer to replace this as it was broken when delivered to me :( He's a smaller used car dealer specializing in 4x4 trucks mostly. It's got 69k, so past the factory warranty for that :(

I know this is a really old thread, but just looked at mine.
Try cleaning and putting a little grease on the alignment tabs just below the release.
I also reached behind the hinge and bent the spring out a little bit.

Edit: Found this after I cleaned and greased the door.
Now the door isn't floppy anymore.

· Registered
48 Posts
I have only had to fill my D up 3 or 4 times, but every time I do, I can not open the fuel door. I push the button and everything works fine with the release mechanism, but the door won't open. I have to have a family member hit the button while I pry it open with my finger. The only thing I can think of is since the tank has no cap, as the gas is used it creates a vacuum. Since the door does have a seal around it, it hold that vacuum and doesn't open unless pried open. Has anyone else experienced this???
I have a '15 Citadel & it does this too. Slackness in the hinges or cable is my guess. My fix is to pry a corner with my wallet & hit the button again. Voila! Works every time :sneaky:

41 - 50 of 50 Posts